Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Mar. 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes. I think it is clean. In parts any way!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Wren wrote:Oh, Joeq! Thanks. And it looks like it might have pictures too. Trying to get a picture of the old days, although they aren't't really so long ago, from where I'm standing.
Ha! There's a petit Godin on the front. I wouldn't't have known that before I came here to Neppa. Oh dear, starting to feel smug and superior. I'm a little happy because we've gone below zero but with the Tiger going we're fine. Do you know that over the period of little more than a year electricity rates are up 400% here? I have better things to do with my money than fund a bunch of crooks.
:D
400%! :shock: Simply awful that companies can get away with that. Have they given any reasons? You'll need your Glenwood, and coal more than ever, to save some long green, (Is money green above our borders? :oops: ) I hope you guys can get things ironed out up there.
As for the book, it has some B+W photos, kinda dated, but fun if nothing more. And the language is pretty simple. But the author does touch on a few good points.

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Mar. 03, 2017 8:23 pm

"While Porter says there are a number of factors that contribute to rising energy costs, like replacing aging infrastructure, purchasing renewable energy and phasing out coal-powered generation, he believes there’s only so much the economy can handle before businesses and consumers begin feeling the consequences.

“Let’s just say it is going to do very serious harm to the Ontario economy if we continue to see double-digit increases in electricity rates,” said Porter."
It's just a big money grab. There is no real excuse, and their profits should take the hit for their stupidity not their consumers. A lady up the road has gas appliances and only pays the delivery charge. But...that's over 100 a month for nothing?!! Gas lighting?
Around here many only had electricity well after the war, and I'm from Quebec and it's still relatively cheap there. Oh well... Where there's a will there's a way. The heat will be covered now, and I 'll try to think of something else for electricity. I'be been looking at the energy posts at Neppa. Hmmm!!!

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Finally lit up! My son helped me move the woodstove and all that stuff and then I shut the top all the way and the bottom two almost all the way and watched the flames through the window and then I realized that I have no damper. So... I guess I had better put one in. Can I wait for a warm day? Or will it be bad to run it open for a week?
And the handles I sent for are wrong so I called Wonderful Wilson and he said yes he has a handle for a Glen but that I can use vice grips until I get one from him. :D
And my son said that actually it looks good!!
A lot of slow absorbing of info here went into this. Funny, I feel like a different person since it is running, but still very grateful. Thank you very much.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 9:36 pm

As long as you can control the fire with the primary air intakes you can get along without the damper.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you. I was hoping yes. I love it.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 6:26 am

Pictures? :D

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Just one. It was more of the dog because it's her spot. I know, it's the hearth from the woodstove but I'm not changing anything 'til summer. Very defensive, lol. It is so amazing though. I was up at 5:30 to check and it was I would say over half full still after six hours. Just so awesome to hear crunching turning the grates. I'm so pleased I could...squeak but I've been singing my favorites hymns I'm in such a good mood. And I think I've kept all advice in mind. Hoots Mon!!!

Attachments

IMAG2411.jpg
.JPG | 50.7KB | IMAG2411.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Congrats on a wonderful stove. I see that it didn't take the dog long to know it's a good one ! :D

And, I'm sure you'll love it even more as you gain more familiarity with what it can do.

Have you gotten a coal shovel yet, or are you still using the "black-hand shovels" ? :D

Paul

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Congratulations the stove looks great! Can't wait to hear how it is heating your home and the economy once the damper is in place.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks.!!! It has been -35 Celsius here, about -31 Fahrenheit I think, and right now it is 70 in the coldest courner of the house and I found the dog panting and had to move her.
I'm comfortable at 62....
Gone through at least three bags but unusual weather, not always like this. Spit test on stove pipe no sizzle but the firepot glows(last night). Nothing else though and I've read in the posts it's okay. Or that's how it sounded....
Planning beige to go with floor since the hearth will be larger.
I found a scuttle and shovel right in town for the Tiger which makes me think I'm not the only one in New Pennsylvania burning coal. No one talks about it but it's generous heat, coal heat, and I know an older neighbour's father used coal with a metal funnel around it for the chicks so it has been here. Silly Canada.

Attachments

IMAG2419_1.jpg
.JPG | 58.2KB | IMAG2419_1.jpg

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Nice. Looks right at home. Spend a little time , mothers aluminum polish and some elbow grease and polish up those trim pieces. I can tell that those shiny bits will shine like the dickens. Congrats on getting it home and up and running ....

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Oh, thanks! I was wondering what to use on it. Tried...WD-40 on the top but not really good.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Wren wrote:Oh, thanks! I was wondering what to use on it. Tried...WD-40 on the top but not really good.
Yeah, WD40 will clean goo, but not tarnish.

Nickel plating is rather hard, so you can also use a chrome polish that you can get at any autoparts store, or the auto section of stores like Wal-Mart.

I use Turtle Wax brand chrome polish, that I get at Wal-Mart, on my customer's cars and the nickel on my stoves. It works very well as a tarnish cleaner and because it's meant for exterior use on cars, as a wax to help prevent more tarnish.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I'll try different products on the top and see which works best. :D

Attachments

IMAG2404.jpg
.JPG | 67.3KB | IMAG2404.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”