Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:24 pm

ReidH wrote:
Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:07 pm
Hi Wren, it is a nice stove. Shipping will be steep. Possibly more than the cost of the stove. Cast iron ranges in a similar style can be had in Ontario. Not too many on Kijiji currently owing to the lockdown in Ontario, but that could change soon.
Don't know how long it will take before the land border opens, but that is not an impediment, if shipping the range on a pallet using a trucking company.

Reid
Hi Wren
McClary Stove in Thunder Bay area, same era and about as far away as the Universal, but on this side of the border.

Reid

Attachments

McClary Cast Iron Stove.pdf
.PDF | 673.7KB | McClary Cast Iron Stove.pdf

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:15 pm

It's a McClary Pandora. Google McClary Pandora. Plenty of pics and some info

Should be good for coal or wood.

I have included a picture of a museum piece with the doors open.
Wide, fairly deep firebox and looks to be triple triangular grates.

Reid

Attachments

IMG_0242.JPG
.JPG | 1.1MB | IMG_0242.JPG

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 11:10 am

Hello Fellow Ontarian. Definitely more than the stove, but less than the cost of shipping six tons of coal from a silly town past Toronto to where I am!!! Yes, I saw those when I was looking for fig because it's a great excuse to look. I love mine, don't need one.
I'm reading through my posts because I KNOW that someone suggested a shipper way back when the border was open and it was fun to go to the Live Free Or Die state to pick up a stove.
And nooooooo!!!!!!! There will never be another stove like it in the history of the earth. If I don't, I hope somebody kind to old stoves buys it.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 9:27 am

Dogs have been out and fed and the range is going. Not starting 116 until the iat🤡 is down to fifty otherwise Wim will tell me the heat is oppressive.
Last wood🙄in both at 1:34 a.m. and then I said I don't care what happens and went to sleep. At 7:30 this morning it was sixty in the house downstairs and about 38-40 in the kitchen. Not bad as it was minus twenty two Fahrenheit last night. We've had a blessedly mild winter but it will go out out like a lion. The kitchen could easily be better snuggled against the outside. Always plenty to do.
And my son's husky is molting and racing around but it reminds me of when the children did(race around) so I'm not telling her to simmer down and stop spraying fur everywhere. You would think they would breed them not to shed. Yeesh.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 9:37 am

So since I'm bad tempered I have to say
If it were coal there would be a firebox glowing brightly and looking deceptively full in the morning, after ten hours, and no huge drop in temperature to upset my cast iron.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Feb. 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Peaceful day so dusting.
20210214_124735.jpg
.JPG | 478.1KB | 20210214_124735.jpg
I'd love to have a mesh in front of the mica on the 116 while I'm burning wood. I'm guessing that's why mesh is on this door.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Feb. 14, 2021 9:25 pm

That Franklin is interesting. A patriotic stove. It would be nice to make sure they all got fixed and good homes found, or sat in a safe place waiting for an owner.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 14, 2021 9:35 pm

Wire mesh, like that loading door has, can be ordered from most machine shop supply houses, such as McMaster-Carr, in different types of metals, mesh size, and by the square foot.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screens

Then use the loading door mica frame screws to hold it in.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks! I'll do that. If I must run wood at least I can try and protect the stove a little.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Wren wrote:
Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 11:23 am
Thanks! I'll do that. If I must run wood at least I can try and protect the stove a little.
Even some coal-only stoves used some type of mesh inboard of the loading door mica. As you know by now, some coal can get quite "ballistic" during the fresh-loading's snap, crackle, and pop stage. And some just double up on the layers of mica as a bit of added protection against coal shrapnal. ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 7:17 am

I always wondered if those little guys, Snap Crackle and Pop from rice crispies were inspired by someone ho loved coal as a child.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. May. 18, 2021 11:00 am

So I have done some yard work and now I'm sitting with my feet up doing NOTHING.
Because some idiot at work managed to get covid and now two mornings running I go in for seven only to be sent home, even though I have been cleared as no health risk because I snarl, "Stay back!" and hold my fingers up vampire defense style when people encroach. This morning, however, I asked if perhaps we should stay home until further notice and while waiting for an update/answer...
Lionel Dubrofsky, president of Kaycan arrived. I didn't know unfortunately and told him only the purchaser was in. He told me he was here from Kaycan so I said something hopefully polite about how nice it is that he is giving this lovely company business, whereupon I was told that Kaycan owns this business, to which I could only reply that we really should be told more about our company. I must add that he was very polite and kind and -abnormally good looking. Brad Pitt is nauseating Johnny Depp makes me wretch and even Stewart Granger was just ok. I don't think I've ever seen a good looking man but I did love Fred Astaire and Danny Kay though not for their looks.
What I should do is disconnect and cap my stove pipes I suppose. That is what I should do. I read about the Champion Oaks here because I will try to run the Champion 23 instead of the Glenwood next year, because excessive heat is toxic to my old dog. I thought it was a Stewart but remember badly it definitely says Champion on it which is I think Fuller and Warren. Plenty do do I think. I'll try to fill the crack in the firepot with putty smoothly so that it can be recast or cast ...according to what I have read.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. May. 18, 2021 4:45 pm

What is the fire pot diameter of the Champion? The Glenwood could be run low in direct draft without using the back pipe to put out less heat. Might have to seal the ash door with high heat silicone to make it airtight enough.

Thanks for the humorous and insightful post

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. May. 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Glad if it gave you a chuckle. We must keep our spirits up. And I shouldn't say an idiot caught it, I'm sure they are quite unhappy about it.
The champion is about a foot across the top and nine inches or so at the bottom. One grate missing, others warped. Came with the crank though. Sigh. Does that look like it was made that way or did someone put a metal liner in? Thank God the 116 was perfect. But I ought to try to put the little one in order for days that aren't forty below which is most of the winter some years. Might have to learn something but I suppose that won't hurt me. It needs work I might as well start thinking about it.

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. May. 19, 2021 3:12 pm

And I may find it impossible, although there are enough projects in this site that surmounted obstacles along the way. I have vacuumed it out and sprayed screws and bolts visible with dw40. Took a month to loosen some on the range.
But, does that look like someone screwed a metal liner in? The Glenwood doesn't have that.

Attachments

20210519_143317.jpg
.JPG | 314.6KB | 20210519_143317.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”