Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:15 am

If you are having problems with the forum, you can post questions here: Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations and Modern Reproductions

And the Mayor (Richard) or another member may be able to help.

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:21 am

Wow! All accepted so far. I've been up in the ceiling and up on the roof. I'm leaving the Tiger at one end in the kitchen and putting the Glenwood at the other end of the house in the living room. Some posts said covering both ends was necessary. The Tiger as posts suggested single wall to roof, then roof support and triple wall chimney. We could see sky for a few days 'til the flashing came in.

Attachments

received_10154031491751592.jpeg
.JPEG | 73.9KB | received_10154031491751592.jpeg
received_10154031485651592.jpeg
.JPEG | 76.7KB | received_10154031485651592.jpeg

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:27 am

Hoping these go through.

Attachments

received_10154031489116592.jpeg
.JPEG | 97KB | received_10154031489116592.jpeg
received_10154031485821592.jpeg
.JPEG | 72.1KB | received_10154031485821592.jpeg
received_1876058662613826.jpeg
.JPEG | 37KB | received_1876058662613826.jpeg

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:39 am

Tired of trying now and must stop goofing off! But I think some pics were accepted somewhere after a message for help in forum. But...will try again. I read alot before choosing pipe for Tiger. The Glenwood will go where the wood stove is. Not enough clearance where Tiger is. Hope it won't be too hot in that room. Must add support for chimney and pipe. I think double wall is okay? Went triple wall for Tiger but have read double is okay. Chimney, that is. Double after ceiling for Glenwood. Sorry messy messages. Must go.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:47 am

That Tiger is a cute stove. But still just a room warmer - more like a "Kitten" amongst stoves. :D Living way up North I can see why you'd want a larger stove.

That 116 is going to be a huge difference in heat output. ;)

Not sure about Canadian codes, but here you only need single wall stove pipe indoors, until it goes through a wall or ceiling. The single wall lets more heat transfer to the room before it gets to the chimney. Double wall is only need in the room if the pipe clearance to a combustible surface is too close.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:58 am

How big is the room that the 116 is going in, and how many doors and windows in that room ? Holding about 50 pounds of nut coal, a 116 is capable of putting out a lot of heat.

If it turns out that it's too much heat, the good news is that 116 can be idled down. Then you just don't have to fill it as often. It'll easily run 12 hours before needing any tending. Idled down, even much longer than that.

The 116 has about the same coal capacity, running and tending times as William's base heater in those videos you mentioned. Just not quite as much heat extracting ability as that base heater. But it's still one of the best oak stoves ever made.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for the congrats and requests for pictures. It's like asking a parent for pics of children.
The Glenwood will go where the wood stove is. Room 18x12. Large opening to dining room about same size. Summer kitchen 20 by 12 where Tiger is.
I finally put gasket in the little door and the Tiger had coals in this morning. Lots of ash and that last piece of stove coal my son told me he threw in about three in the morning. Around zero it can heat the kitchen to 76, after I finally get it going. Have started bring live coals from wood stove to the four inch grate and that seems preferable to making miniature wood for a miniature fire. My son's face when he looks at the Tiger full of burning coal. Awed and inspired. I'm a little nervous of it but as long as the rules are respected....
It is illegal to burn coal inside here, but now I notice all the farm houses with smokeless chimnies, and have noticed all the coal scuttled and little shovels that all disappeared from the local home hardware.
I observed clearances and codes from the U.S. given that technically we haven't any. I can bring coal through customs for my own use.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 1:09 pm

With a room that big and a large opening into another room just as big, I don't think you'll be too hot with that 116.

And if you do find that the temp differences are a little to much, a small fan helps. One of the little 6 inch ones are quite and move air nicely while not drawing much power. Some find it better to put the fan on the floor in the colder area to help move the cold air toward the stove a bit faster than just relying on natural air convection currents.

Or, some stove owners on here have had good results using one of your Canadian made, heat-powered, stove fans to help better distribute the heat. http://www.caframolifestylesolutions.com/ecofan/

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Speaking of clearances, I don't know if you've had a chance to see this page on stove clearances and methods for how to safely reduce those clearance if you don't want a stove as far out into a room.

Stove and Stove Pipe NFPA Clearances.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Sounds hopeful, then. Upstairs I will probably have to change the floor grate to one that can be closed as they are already too hot their end with the wood stove. House good still warm upstairs in morning. All very helpful!!

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Lol! I think the best place for them is the middle of the room. Put Durock,Durarock? Behind Tiger and ceramic tile. Like wood stove but I don't see the advantage of heating a wall, even though the tile is supposed to reflect heat. I'll have read the whole site in a couple years....

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Wren wrote:Sounds hopeful, then. Upstairs I will probably have to change the floor grate to one that can be closed as they are already too hot their end with the wood stove. House good still warm upstairs in morning. All very helpful!!
We use small bathroom rugs. Easy to move to cover the floor register completely, or adjust how much register opening for how much heat you want. Plus, it helps quiet noise from downstairs getting to bed room areas more than a closeable type floor register. ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 3:55 pm

That's a good idea!

Jenny

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Jenny, I like your tiger. It reminds me of a Godin. I have a small sunroom I want to put a wood/coal stove in, mostly for esthetics, but also a little heat. I found this little thing that will fit in the area I want a stove, but when I saw the Godins, I like the design better. But I already have this one, so "some-day", I'll be playing with it.
DSCF1307.JPG
.JPG | 72.8KB | DSCF1307.JPG
How bout some pics of your wood stove, and the area the 116 will go? And the pipe for your tiger. What is the diameter of it? It's tough to find pipe around here under 6", and I think a little stove like ours might perform slightly better with a pipe like a 4" or 5". At least for the beginning of it's run. Up at the roof I imagine it could be opened to a 6" W/O any ill effects. Thinking out-loud. Not sure if this is true.
And lastly, what is the gizmo on the top of your tiger. Looks like something from the "Star Trec Enterprise". :lol:

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 9:16 am

Joeq, that's a beautiful little stove! Are those little gothic windows?! I'd love to see a few more pictures. I have never been able to find any information on the Tiger,other than from the person who said their grandma brought it from Holland. Do you know anything about that one? The Petit Godin was the most similar I could find too, and the specifications are pretty close. They suggest nut coal but it seemed to burn very hot and the coal stuck to the sides of the brick half way up and then fell about six inches when loading. Awkward and I'm too new at this to know why that happened.

I think it was about 40 degrees and the Tiger brought 76 degrees to a 12 x20 kitchen with a much used back door off it and big window. About zero it was 72, but that's with no insulation in last five feet of ceiling yet. I do find it hard to get started and haven't read carefully enough about charcoal or firestarter and Don't want to hurt the stove after it has survived. Replacing firebrick will be a problem I guess. The Tiger is about 11 inches in diameter and 33 once the elbow is in the back. What are the measurements of yours? Very graceful.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”