Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Tue. Apr. 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Went from zero one day to eighty degrees the next. Today seven in morning and seventy by eleven a.m. Last Monday was a freezing rain warning and schools closed.
Only range running now, have bought chrome polish and will clean skirts on Glenwood soon for first time. They arrived shiny.
Nut coal is eighteen dollars and fifty cents(Canadian) for fifty pounds in Valleyfield. Oi. Ridiculous. I wonder. If the purpose was not to make a killing I'm sure even paying the six percent I could sell bags cheaper than that.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 6:20 am

Wren wrote:
Tue. Apr. 24, 2018 5:18 pm
Went from zero one day to eighty degrees the next. Today seven in morning and seventy by eleven a.m. Last Monday was a freezing rain warning and schools closed.
Only range running now, have bought chrome polish and will clean skirts on Glenwood soon for first time. They arrived shiny.
(CanaNut coal is eighteen dollars and fifty centsdian) for fifty pounds in Valleyfield. Oi. Ridiculous. I wonder. If the purpose was not to make a killing I'm sure even paying the six percent I could sell bags cheaper than that.
:o

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 8:16 am

OUCH! $740,00 CAD per ton. That's equivalent to $574.00 USD. :o

I'm guessing they are not selling much coal at that rate.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 9:57 am

IMG_20180425_093904.jpg
.JPG | 323.3KB | IMG_20180425_093904.jpg
Crazy. If I understood, it is bought by BBQ outfits for demonstrations.
But...in local news I took the Glenwood 116 skirts out and corroded my thumb on chrome polish through plastic gloves. Now I will wrap them up in a sheet until I have blacked the stove and a few other things. I think I will be late for work but I DO have priorities. My children can go ahead and mature: my stoves are terrific company.
The youngest just came home from school through an upstairs window and when I said, "Owen!!!" He said, " are you going to tell me you heard me trying to get in?!" Not pleased. I had to tell him I was polishing the skirts and sorry no didn't hear him.
But I'll cook something good in the range for supper by way of apology.
I didn't dry the skirt on left too hot just quick for photo. Not a perfect job but hopefully I don't let it get bad again.
Last edited by Wren on Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 10:01 am

LOL--- lookin real good W. :)

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks! I'm aweful proud.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 10:53 am

Lot of work, but it looks terrific..

If you want to extend the good polished look,.... after you've buffed-off the chrome polish, use a good coating of an automotive paste wax, such as Turtle wax. I do that with the chrome and nickel parts of my customer's antique cars. It keeps the shine lasting far longer than just using the chrome polish - even the ones that say they have a wax in them. ;)

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 11:10 am

Wren,
Love your posts for the insights so often contained within them.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Owen had to climb through a window, to get in!? Wait till DYS hears about this! You won't be polishing nickle anymore, but punching out licence plates. :lol: (It's a brave new world Jen)
On the other hand, why are the kids around anyway? He should be polishing the nickle, whilst your fixin the supper. I know, you're gunna say how "relaxing" it is, when you're around your stove parts. How long B4 that novelty wears off Fred? :roll:
Anyway, I'm just bustin ya Jen. If I don't, who will? :oops: Your parts are really looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product. How about that copper kettle. Did you polish that one up too?

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks Franco.... I appreciate this site very much too, for ideas, insights and genius and even spiritual inspiration, which sometimes has more impact when found in unexpected places.
What is DYS, Joeq? You guessed right, it was my treat to polish the nickel, but my son looked later...he can take a motor apart and put it back together and he is only 14. He learned at school so maybe he'll get his own chrome to polish in a few years.
and THANK YOU Sunny, for telling me how to keep it that way longer. It actually was a lot of work. Any chance I can use the same stuff on the enamel of the stove? Oh well. I am following Polar Light's installation in Ontario with great interest, and might get my nerve up at some point. I absorb information very slowly. I only want to use the water jacket on the range and have read a

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks Franco.... I appreciate this site very much too, for instructions, ideas, insights, genius and even spiritual inspiration, which sometimes has more impact when found in unexpected places.
What is DYS, Joeq? You guessed right, it was my treat to polish the nickel, but my son looked later...he can take a motor apart and put it back together and he is only 14. He learned at school so maybe he'll get his own chrome to polish in a few years.
and THANK YOU Sunny, for telling me how to keep it that way longer. It actually was a lot of work. Any chance I can use the same stuff on the enamel of the stove? Oh well.
I am following Polar Light's installation in Ontario with great interest too. One day....

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 11:01 pm

Jen, DYS, Dept of youth services, but in other areas maybe it's called DCF, dept of children and families? Anyway, the organizations for the protection of little people. I'm sure there's no issue at your end, but in todays crazy society, everything is taken "WAY" out of context at times.
A co-worker told me years back that his adolescent daughter was mouthing off after school, so he sent her to bed W/O any supper, (but told his wife to give her a big breakfast). His daughter mentioned it to her friends in school the next day, and an ease dropping teacher caught on to it, and turned him in to social services. He got a visit from them after work that day. They took a quick glance around, apologized, but said they had to investigate all accusations. I guess discipline is out the window now-a-days.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Wren wrote:
Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 8:58 pm
Thanks Franco.... I appreciate this site very much too, for ideas, insights and genius and even spiritual inspiration, which sometimes has more impact when found in unexpected places.
and THANK YOU Sunny, for telling me how to keep it that way longer. It actually was a lot of work. Any chance I can use the same stuff on the enamel of the stove? Oh well. I am following Polar Light's installation in Ontario with great interest, and might get my nerve up at some point. I absorb information very slowly. I only want to use the water jacket on the range and have read a
Jen,
Normally the enameled finish on the range only needs to be wiped clean with a damp cloth. However, chips and scratches can expose the cast iron underneath, so you can either oil it with vegetable oil, or wax it.

Personally, I'd go with the veg oil. It's good to about 450 F before it starts to smoke and smells better than the hot wax.

If you prefer the wax, it should be fine on the sides, doors, mantel and shelves with the auto wax. It's made to survive in high heat such as on black cars parked in the hot Sun down south. But I wouldn't use wax on the cooktop, or the ash drawer/firebox end. The veg oil is better for that hot of a surface. Just make sure you buff off the dryed wax very well.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 11:09 pm

joeq wrote:
Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 11:01 pm
Jen, DYS, Dept of youth services, but in other areas maybe it's called DCF, dept of children and families? Anyway, the organizations for the protection of little people. I'm sure there's no issue at your end, but in todays crazy society, everything is taken "WAY" out of context at times.
A co-worker told me years back that his adolescent daughter was mouthing off after school, so he sent her to bed W/O any supper, (but told his wife to give her a big breakfast). His daughter mentioned it to her friends in school the next day, and an ease dropping teacher caught on to it, and turned him in to social services. He got a visit from them after work that day. They took a quick glance around, apologized, but said they had to investigate all accusations. I guess discipline is out the window now-a-days.
Discipline can't get out the window where there's kids coming in through them. :lol:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Apr. 26, 2018 11:54 pm

Interesting thought, Sunny. This is a small town and hard not to know everybody's business. The high school is really missing an opportunity to open the window to a couple of boys who really need a welcome somewhere, and if they felt welcome at school that would be the opportunity to discipline them in a positive sense in a lot of ways. Ive been meaning to interfere for a while and if you dont mind me borrowing exactly what you said it would make my letter to the school board more positive than I feel. Im a little outraged that the school doesnt make any efffort and practically dismisses them from life as if it doesnt matter. Society will have to deal with them if the school doesn't. One of the boys is impossible but all the more reason to wear him down but the other two are just sweet and silly and neglected. One is highly intelligent and just deserves more. I have today off so maybe Ill finally make my plea and try not to say that I think for two hundred thou a year a principal should have a knack with the unusual/difficult cases too. Grumble, cuss, complain.
So Yeah. Its a funny world. I'm all for tree and window climbing though. Almost anything but screens(t.v and games.)
I will use car wax on the enamel; I'm sure it will look good and help keep it clean longer too.That will be my next sunny holiday. Maybe next weekend!.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”