Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 9:51 am

Work needed on this or not I've bought this Glenwood 116 and hope to get it in shape fast for this winter. Love the little Tiger that someone's grandma brought from Holland but need something that can heat a small house and that will take care of itself for at least eight hours plus. I'm half wild with excitement and half nervous in case there is a serious problem with it. Hoots Mon!!!

Attachments

$_1-10.JPG
.JPG | 23KB | $_1-10.JPG

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 10:08 am

I would inspect it top to bottom if looks as good as that picture looks great. Can you post more pictures?

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 10:42 am

These are the sellers pictures. Going to pick it up next weekend. I see some serious work has been done in these posts so I guess everything can be changed or fixed. Hoping okay though. I hope that is a trick of the light making swirls on that front. But I'm happy I think one way or another.... Sunnyboy made some observations in another thread about the fire brick that would have been there and the tendency towards cracks up the front.

Attachments

$_1-9.JPG
.JPG | 22.9KB | $_1-9.JPG
$_1-8.JPG
.JPG | 15.7KB | $_1-8.JPG
$_1-5.JPG
.JPG | 31.7KB | $_1-5.JPG
$_1-9.JPG
.JPG | 22.9KB | $_1-9.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 1:15 pm

So far it looks pretty good.

FYI, that bonnet would have originally been nickel plated - like the top and bottom four-section skirts.

When you go there, bring a bright flash light, and a mirror to help check inside and under that stove for cracks.

In your picture showing the door to the "ash drawer" (Glenwood's term). See how the top of that area humps upward right in the center ? Look back where that raised area meets the firepot. Dead center in the rear-facing edge of that hump there is a bolt that fastens the firepot to the top of that ash drawer.

If you can, look inside at the front bottom edge of the firepot, you should be able to see that bolt. Wipe off above the bolt and see if there are any cracks radiating out from the bolt hole. If there is, it's not a deal breaker, but something you might want to bring up if your negotiating price. A good welder, experienced in cast iron repair, can fix that

Check to make sure the grate bars turn freely and are not warped and hitting each other or the fixed grate teeth along each side.

There would have been an ash pan, a grate shaker handle, lid lifter tool, a cast iron stove pipe elbow with a round check damper built in, and a "wood plate" that sits on top of the grate bars for burning wood. All that would have come with the stove originally.

If any of that is not there, that's also not a deal breaker because there are lots of 3/4 inch triangular socket shaker handles on eBay that will work,... and even more lid lifter handles for the round cover that is in under the swing-aside bonnet, The elbow with check damper is nice to have but not a necessity to operate the stove well. Recastings of the 116 wood plate are available from Woodman's Parts - a stove replacement parts supplier up in Maine. And our member Freddy makes really nice ash pans to order.

Check the backside of the ash drawer. If it has a casting bolted on that looks like it's top face would connect to an oval pipe,... and the nickel plated skirt above it has an oval gap in it, then that stove originally came with the optional back pipe. Member Wilsonswoodstoves sells the back pipes and parts for the 116 model stoves ( and recast triangular grate bars, too)

As I said, any of these items missing are not deal breakers, but they do affect price, unless the owner is one that views the value of the stove unreasonably.

And, as you can see, it just so happens that you found one of the few antique stoves that have such a good survival rate that there are lots of them. Enough that it's worth making new parts available for it ! ;)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Lots of useful information there, thanks. I'll maybe make a list to take. He said the pipe was an extra add on. There was a picture somewhere.... I'm assuming it is coming along with the rest. Getting jittery .

Attachments

$_1-1.JPG
.JPG | 22KB | $_1-1.JPG

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 6:19 pm

What luck, the cast iron elbow is there. Sometimes they are missing. Hopefully all the other original accessories are there, too.

That picture shows the rotary type check damper on the side of the elbow that I mentioned. That's used to allow room air into the exhaust stream to cool it off a bit and lower the draft strength to get longer burn times. It's especially helpful if your chimney system has a strong draft and also while burning wood. If it's the original Glenwood elbow, it will have a leaf design on the other side of it. And yes, the stove came with it originally, it was not an option.

Oddly though, being an oak stove, it didn't come with a fire poker. But they are easy to make. Or, originals from that time period can be found on eBay.

I can't make out the lower skirt in that picture to see if it has the oval cutout for a back pipe, but considering how close the stove is sitting to the wall, I can see that the there is no back pipe base. Otherwise the pipe's base mount casting would be sticking out the back too much for it to sit that close. :(

Paul

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 6:19 pm

You bought her, correct? Make her burn and don't look back! Congrats!

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Yes, thanks, Lobsterman! She's bought. But it sounds like I'll have to study her up before I can light her up!

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Sunnyboy! You make it sound like running a ship. But I guess I'll get it. There sounds like a fair bit of control possible. But that's good. No matter about the pipe option. I'd read about it and wondered but over here we're lucky if we can find anything useful reasonably close. I'm glad you can see, that answers that question too. Well, I'm going to pour some coal into the Tiger now from a scuttle instead of using my hands for a change! Fascinating. Lots to learn. Appreciate very much all the details.

Jenny

Attachments

$_3.JPG
.JPG | 45.2KB | $_3.JPG

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Wren,

You've been running a coal stove already, so you've got the bulk of what to learn.

That 116 isn't any more complicated than what you have now, just bigger so it can heat more space,.... or run it slower and it will just run that much longer on a load of coal.

The check damper is only needed if you have a strong draft in the chimney and want to slow it down some. With coal, it's not an absolute necessity that you use it. Lots of stoves don't have one, and of the ones that do, many owners never find they need to use it. ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Been burning anthracite since January 3rd 2017 :D

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Congrats on the purchase.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Jenny, you show all the pictures of the original owners G116. Do you have any of your tiger, up and running? You also mentioned you've only been burning coal a couple weeks. Is that right? Will you be installing the G116 in the same chimney as where the Tiger is, or do you have another location?
(Another congrats on your purchase. I think you'll like it.)

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:06 am

This file was accepted. Ninety five percent of the time my pics are not.

Attachments

IMAG1794.jpg
.JPG | 83.3KB | IMAG1794.jpg

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:10 am

It looks like these are accepted....

Attachments

IMAG1844.jpg
.JPG | 25.3KB | IMAG1844.jpg
IMAG1796.jpg
.JPG | 62.3KB | IMAG1796.jpg
IMAG1539.jpg
.JPG | 33.1KB | IMAG1539.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”