Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 9:23 am

No snow yet for you!!!??? Nice. I mowed my lawn for the LST time day before snow. We had a few flakes before but.not snow like this heard wind all night glad whirlybird on range full hardly any ashes this morning.
No Tiger unless it goes in basement the range went where the tiger was. I have about a ton I think but that word go fast enough. At freezing I'm down to forty pounds a day and insulation and roof might keep it there but if I put a bag of but in the M.D. no way is it ten pound away from full. I know thems fightin' words. The bags are heavy. New dealer for stove coal in Malone hear hope I get some before del.s out!

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Nov. 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Hope everyone is having a good start to the season. Haven't had a chance to catch up on all the new posts but hoping for a quiet day with fèet up. No glasses with me so should stop. Expecting snow tonight. Might start Modern Oak! Must check weather. Happy blue ladies to all of us.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Wren wrote:
Mon. Nov. 26, 2018 7:05 pm
Hope everyone is having a good start to the season. Haven't had a chance to catch up on all the new posts but hoping for a quiet day with fèet up. No glasses with me so should stop. Expecting snow tonight. Might start Modern Oak! Must check weather. Happy blue ladies to all of us.
It's been cold enough here that we've needed to be running both stoves for a few weeks now. Sure glad we did when we hit -18F Thanks Giving Morning. :o

Paul

auntievintage
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 116
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut
Other Heating: Oil forced luke-warm air

Post by auntievintage » Mon. Nov. 26, 2018 7:53 pm

It was 1 degree here, Thanksgiving morning. Just replaced the grates in the 116 the previous Sunday. I’m glad we had an extra ton delivered this year... we already put a good dent in the pile getting through Oct & Nov!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 26, 2018 10:20 pm

You guys are ...."Lucky"(?) Forecasts here are still projecting high 40s, and low 30s for the lows. Still haven't fired up the G111. I'm tempted cause my oil tank is running on low...again. But if my highs are still almost 50°, I can't justify wasting my bagged Lehigh. Getting into Dec. See if global warming continues this season...again. :roll:

auntievintage

Post by auntievintage » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 7:27 am

“Lucky”... haha.
I laugh, but its true. I’d be chomping at the bit is Maine we’re as blighted with global warming as you are ;)

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello Auntie Vintage! And you guys! Glad you're all stocked up, since we can't trust the weather. I'm hiding a ton of nut in the basement, but if it gets cold I have to have stove as I'm too incompetent to burn nut in the Modern Oak. We've had a funny mix here, - 20 last week and 40 degrees today. If we get breaks between lows it is nicer than the three weeks of 35 below clesius we had last year.
Last week the MD got filled to the brim with stove and topped with nut, as we have been taught here at Nepa, and it burned all night. Helps that my eldest gave me a thirteen year old Shep mix that barks to go out at 4 or 5, so morning comes early enough to keep the fires strong.
At freezing and above the range is enough now that I have insulated and changed doors etc. A son is here from B.C. and is surprised the range keeps the house perfect. It's a little 1 and a half story, but when they put in gas they still said 2000 sq feet. But its nice, the kitchen is warmer for sitting around and the rest of the house exactly 70. Below freezing I soon need to start the big one.
This is the year of reckoning for me, nothing but work. But good to hear from ya'll that things are set. Changing grates is kind of a big deal, nice you have it done. If mine break I'm dead meat. :evil: :twisted: :hangover: Daughter laughing at evil and twisted evil is the only reason they are there. Must go but still hoping for a lazy day.

auntievintage

Post by auntievintage » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Changing the grates took me a full day’s work. Not because it was overly complicated, but because the doner-stove that I picked up looked like it was used one season before it rusted in someone’s shed for the past century. It was a heck of a time getting the old cotter-pins off the gears. I even caught a good chunk of meat from my palm in a pair of vice-grips. They were the old style with no release. Worse than that, the vice-grips simultaneously snatched onto the cotter-pin and I was securely anchored to the entire grate assembly. The pain & shakes set in as I had to sit and wait for my husband to come in from outdoors somewhere. ...He had a heck of a time prying them off using a pair of needle-nose plyers (tool of convenience because it was nearby). During the long minutes it took him to free me, I nearly resigned to the idea of having a permanent 8 lb cast-iron prosthetic rather than a pair of plyers pierced through my palm.
All in all, dropping the old frame out and installing the new wasn’t terrible, using a few tips I got from Wilson that involve 2x4’s and an old pillow :) That seriously only took about 15 minutes.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Nothing but "work" Jen? Are you talking about maintaining 3 solid fuel stoves, or do you mean employment? If you're busy at work, who will keep your stoves running clean? :annoyed:
Can't wait to see some current photos of your Glenwoods in action. :yes:

Auntie, what a nasty experience. Tied to your stove? :o I'm sure your husband has posted it all over Facebook. Hope your wounds aren't too severe.

auntievintage

Post by auntievintage » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Haha! While I could think of worse things to be tied to ...actually couldn’t think of a better thing, the relief was palatable. Fortunately, no FB in this household. My only “social-media” is this forum and I’m not on here nearly as much as I’d like to be.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Huh. I thought I was the only one W/O a picture phone, and no FB.
:stfu: (just between me and you)

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Wow. Hard to imagine and very sorry about the pain. Terrible. Humans are resilient, more or less.
Work work and work at home are busy. But it feels good to get things done and that the range is only heating the house now or close to that.
That is why I need the ten hour healthy burn. I like to come home to a warm house and if necessary I can go up to sleep and I don't care if it's fifty downstairs in the morning but I shut the kitchen door if range running alone.
No one is home during the day the two youngest can let the dogs out later but I don't really like them doing the coal unless they are staying to keep an eye on it.
Did you say you have not had to start up the 111 yet?

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Sunny and Melissa: must be much colder where you are. And then too your home stretches all over the place I think.
We are hardly out of November. It's nice when both are going, but a lot of cleaning and so on. I need more sleep but I don't want to put the poor old dog down. The Shep mix, haha, not me.

auntievintage

Post by auntievintage » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:01 pm

My 15 year old son is the only other family member entrusted with the 116. My husband has never gotten the hang of it and my 21 year old is too easily distracted. He’s been a coal burner since 13. It warms my house AND my heart 💕

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Yes. Not everyone is interested. Or has the energy. Everyone's been out and I'm sitting here waiting for the range to die so I can start it up. Not sure I want to though might let the house cool overnight.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”