Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Wed. Dec. 16, 2020 6:22 pm

It was 38 degrees in the kitchen when I got home from work and we're below zero F and I'm fed up so burning some hoarded coal. Ahhhhh. Should be ninety in here soon, how I miss my coal😠.
I actually wrote a letter to a paper and said I wish we had lost the war of 1812 ... over coal. I'm kinda bad tempered over Canada's stance on coal. Serves me right for not lobbying before.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Wed. Dec. 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Do you have a wood plate for your 116?
Dana

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Dec. 16, 2020 8:06 pm

No. I just leave about four inches of wood ash or so in the bottom of it. Amazing, but I want my coal. Insert hysterical, bratty fit here.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Dec. 21, 2020 11:52 pm

DSC_0171.JPG
.JPG | 242.7KB | DSC_0171.JPG

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 9:43 pm

The man who brings wood called and said he puts a piece of metal about the size of a licence plate in the bottom of his range box so I did (put an old licence plate in the bottom)and then last week I cut up a metal cookie tin lid for the 116.
It leaves more room for wood than letting ash collect and so better air, more heat I would swear, longer burn, and just cleaner. Could have used the wood grate that came with the Stewart I guess but didnt. Just air around sides or at both ends in range. I don't know if that is harder on the liners.
I am surpringly bad tempered since last March. Not sure why. It's not as if I've always had my own way 'til now. And I'm home...but I burned kettle dry so many times in two weeks I had to get another one. I had the other about seven years and never boiled it dry. I can't understand it. This one whistles since I'm getting forgetful.

Attachments

20210115_140034.jpg
.JPG | 234.7KB | 20210115_140034.jpg
20210119_133950.jpg
.JPG | 367.8KB | 20210119_133950.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 10:21 pm

Whistlin's good W!! :)

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 1:01 am

The whistle is very helpful, yeah. We've all been laid off temporarily during our new lockdown. A chance to get things done at home ... But it's very strange. I'm going to read all your pages and hope for lively gossip. 🙄. Off to the corona page first I guess.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 3:17 am

PSX_20210201_031148.jpg
.JPG | 294.3KB | PSX_20210201_031148.jpg
So my son has flown in from Vancouver. Always helpful and interesting, but a Wim Hof type who would prefer the house to be kept at fifty degrees. This is not my youngest son who is careful with the stoves but my middle son who will smash a piece of wood with a poker until it fits where he wants it. He was hard on the wood stove and is hard on these but at least I'm home to say "Stop! Be careful!!!!" this year.
I'm surprised that even at minus ten Fahrenheit the temperature goes up to 80 if I'm not careful. The 116 is amazing. The firepot never turns red with wood.
Of course, if I weren't laid off I would have had to quit because no way can I leave for eight hours, and I'm up at 2:25 and don't sleep much once it's this cold, which wouldn't happen with coal, or work, but I was afraid I couldn't heat with wood at all below zero so I'm relieved because I DONT like a house at fifty degrees.
God is hauling me through as usual, and I'll hope to have coal next winter.
Not trivial to me, I'm tired of blacking on my hands so I'm wiping an olive oil cloth over the range top every morning while it's cold. I'll try to build up layers while I'm burning wood and see if I can maintain it once(I hope)I'm using coal again. I could see burning wood in mild weather because it's possible to cool quickly whereas once the coal is going that it for hours. Sigh. I would be sleeping now instead of keeping a journal at 3:15 a.m.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 9:12 am

Nice post that mirrors the humanity in all of us.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 8:27 pm

Thank you, Franco. Things would be pretty grim without coalpail.

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 11:32 am

If Fig doesnt buy that Crystal I think I might. It would need work but my son's girlfriend lives on a farm and is used to wood stoves and by the time they are married, or that youngest son has a home the range might be ready. I know it needs work but there's time.
If I buy it, would anyone around there be able to hold it until the border opens? I suspect shipping would be a project killer but I could be wrong.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 11:52 am

Wren wrote:
Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 9:43 pm
The man who brings wood called and said he puts a piece of metal about the size of a licence plate in the bottom of his range box so I did (put an old licence plate in the bottom)and then last week I cut up a metal cookie tin lid for the 116.
It leaves more room for wood than letting ash collect and so better air, more heat I would swear, longer burn, and just cleaner. Could have used the wood grate that came with the Stewart I guess but didnt. Just air around sides or at both ends in range. I don't know if that is harder on the liners.
I am surpringly bad tempered since last March. Not sure why. It's not as if I've always had my own way 'til now. And I'm home...but I burned kettle dry so many times in two weeks I had to get another one. I had the other about seven years and never boiled it dry. I can't understand it. This one whistles since I'm getting forgetful.
Yup, those plates will help extend the wood burn times. You made what Glenwood used to sell for using wood with their coal grates - a "wood plate". Also known as a "Summer plate".

Some of our stove restoration guys sell the cast iron versions. I was going to get one,... then remembered I'm trying to avoid all the work of wood. :D

Here's Woodman's Parts recast that fits the 116 Oak and #6 base heater. https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product.aspx?p_id=740002

And here's their Summer plate for ranges. https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product.aspx?p_id=169080

Paul

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Yup, those wood plates are handy to have if you run out of coal. A good possibility in Ontario. The plates are a bit spendy for what they are.
The terminology may be different from stove to stove or range to range.
Summer plate makes perfect sense for the Glenwoods.
On my range, the summer plate is the actual slide in wood grate as it can be used to reduce the depth of the fire box by half by laying it on top of the firebrick on the Findlay/Elmira/Heartland Oval.
The wood plate was used when you wanted the full depth of the fire box and this could be placed on top of the triangular grates. Easier than sliding out the triangular grate frame and replacing with the wood grate frame.

Reid

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 5:05 pm

The same warm weather firebox depth reduction can be done with a Glenwood range by just putting two firebricks on edge on the grates and lay the wood/summer grate on top of those. Then a small, quick, wood fire can be built up closer under the cooktop to get better cooking heat transfer, with less heating of the kitchen.

Since it also includes cooking with ranges, I'm going to cut and past this to the Cookin' With Coal thread to help range owners there. ;)

Paul

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:07 pm

Wren wrote:
Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 11:32 am
If Fig doesnt buy that Crystal I think I might. It would need work but my son's girlfriend lives on a farm and is used to wood stoves and by the time they are married, or that youngest son has a home the range might be ready. I know it needs work but there's time.
If I buy it, would anyone around there be able to hold it until the border opens? I suspect shipping would be a project killer but I could be wrong.
Hi Wren, it is a nice stove. Shipping will be steep. Possibly more than the cost of the stove. Cast iron ranges in a similar style can be had in Ontario. Not too many on Kijiji currently owing to the lockdown in Ontario, but that could change soon.
Don't know how long it will take before the land border opens, but that is not an impediment, if shipping the range on a pallet using a trucking company.

Reid

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”