Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 7:13 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 6:39 pm
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here, but it looks like this thread "is" your book, Paul. Lots of good info.
As usual, you made me see something, from a different angle, than I was seeing before. Concerning a burning pot. I was always timid in my earlier days of burning, since the Surdiac days. Was afraid to put in too much coal, when tending. Not sure if it's relevant to your situation, Jen, but Paul's comment above, made me re-think what I was experiencing.
After I do a full shake-down, and get a fresh pot (of coal) brewing, I not only fill the pot, but I get it "heaping", to the point it wants to fall out on the floor. (almost, slight exaggeration), but I do mound it up. Hoping for longer burns. And it does appear to work. But I never thought about the resistance of a full coal bed, becoming a hindrance. I guess with my G111, and stove coal, it makes a nice hot fire in the evening hours, and when I put it to bed, I mound it with nut coal. Same thing in the day, when we're all at work. It'll go 8-10 hrs easy, through the night, and the day. I'm guessing your 116 should surpass that Jen.
That was more like wood stove thinking, Joe - more fuel means more chance the fire will get out of control. :o

But coal is NOT just the opposite of wood in burning top down verses bottom up for coal.

The best way to slow and control a too-hot coal fire may seem to be that having less coal is better, but in reality, adding MORE coal helps slow and control it. :yes:

Paul

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Perseverance! Important partly because Im tired and it's a dream of mine to sleep in one day the way I used to when I was young and my mother would knock on my bedroom door and point out that decent Christians are up by 8 a.m.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 9:18 am

With the range top plates providing over-fire air, and the gas ring of the #6 providing the same, I'm spoiled about not having to think about puff-backs during refueling, so I just want to clarify,...

You can add more coal when the previous layer stops snapping and popping, but ALWAYS make sure that you have a few openings showing glowing coals to ignite the volatile gasses that the fresh coal is giving off. That's so that the gases don't get to a high enough concentration to cause puff-backs, or bigger booms! :o

Your range has plenty of air leakage over the fire to not have to worry about puff-backs, but the 116 might not. Cracking open the secondary damper in the loading door of the 116, until the firebed is full and burning, will help burn off those gases.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 9:59 pm

20190123_204910.jpg
.JPG | 156.9KB | 20190123_204910.jpg
Yes!!! The 116 is crackling and firing shots right now. I followed instructions this morning and only waited til the gases had burned off and left early. Dont worry, I overdid it before but I wont go in the other diredtion. I know its important. I read a humorous story about someone's wife putting corncobs in a fire and them exploding or something. I dont want a similar experience ' cause its humorous n the post but I d be distressed. I had started waiting until the top layer was red, really heated up, although I go through phases. Just don't think when tired and fall into weird habits.

I'm so happy to have my stove coal back. I came home just now after about 10+ hours and I'm back to finding the windows lit up. I could go to Montreal last winter and get home at 9:30 p.m. and the window was still glowing. I come in and look for the mica to be lit right away. I'm used to stove coal I guess. Top it with nut always last thing though.
I have to say...having not half burned the coal before I leave it maybe could have gone another couple of hours.
We are still having terrible weather. School has been cancelled all week and freezing rain and snow tomorrow, and it has snowed non stop for two days we had already 50 centimeters by afternoon. So it's nice to get home and again it's 70 in the kitchen and about 80 in the living room and I feel again that winter is not a bully since coal. The sons friends come in frozen and say "this is great ". I remember one said he was going to go home and turn the heating up to ten. I bet his parents didn't like that.
I'm fine now, and better even for refining my technique, but thank you for getting me through forty below while using the dreaded nut coal.

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Now I'm going to stalk the welcome page to see if the Quebecers came. The man who goes for coal always asks a million questions but I didn't even understand the problem. I hope they came.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Glad to hear about the progress being made toward taming the cold.

I'm sure your finding out why some of us say, that anyone can burn wood, but burning coal is an art. ;)

Your mention of your son's friends response to the stove reminds me why a bunch of my friends and I always hung out in one friend's converted garage in winter. It had a station master sized pot belly stove. Nice to know somethings don't change. :yes:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Awww. Memories like that are great. This morning my son showed me a clip on his phone the boys on a roof and they jump... :o :hangover: :what: the And the snowbank below is so high it's a 3 foot drop. Sledding down front steps and diving into snow banks. Hoodlums but clean fun. Completely soaked in the end.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm getting a lot more sleep now that I can work late and load in about an hour. Improves the quality of my life I need sleep.
January is almost behind us.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Glad to hear it's working out better for you ! :yes:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes, Thanks very much. Sleep solves many problems.
All the rules work. Imagine. The coal world is better than the outside world.
It really feels cold tonight. Supposed to be minus thirty but the wind is fierce.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 10:25 am

Around 32 degrees Fahrenheit I can come home at 9 p.m. and if I left it running just let it go out.
Fifty degrees this morning in kitchen, 60 upstairs but that don't bother me none as the kid down the road says.
Getting it going now but dipping to -21 Celsius tonight so I'll leave them full
as possible.
You can see the gusts in the video, how fast the top spins.

Attachments

Screenshot_20190225-101013.png
.PNG | 313.2KB | Screenshot_20190225-101013.png
.MP4 | 75.8MB | 20190225_100434_001.mp4

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 10:55 pm

This was a miserably cold winter. It's getting up to around freezing now finally but dipping again next week.
It is a good feeling to know the house will be warm without much effort. Well, other than the scuttle and ash pan. I feel good.
The spinning top has started squeaking. Doesn't bother me but I suppose I should go out and spray grease on it. When the wind dies down. Doesn't always squeak. Funny. Moving soundlessly now.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 12, 2019 12:37 pm

You've put a lot into having those two great stoves, now's time to reap the rewards of all that effort. Glad to hear it's working out well for you. :yes:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Mar. 24, 2019 11:01 pm

Well! The date for spring has come and gone but it's been snowing deep and regularly. The town was tired but that's sort of giving way to delerious hysteria.
But...the temperature is still getting up to freezing... ten below Celsius tonight though.
I think I caused the warping when I stopped looking for what I wanted and also stopped making half inch think sides out of cement and "other things.
This fall I was pressed for time and fed up so I put firebrick in but it's too thick and I think the heat couldn't escape any other way but through the top of my range, warping my metal too much. The brick finally crumbled and AMAZINGLY!!!(to me) the metal is lying flatter again. It took about a week. There was a point the T's couldn't lie flat and were up maybe a quarter of an inch it was terrible. So I'm happy because I'm attached to this old range.
Dreaming of doing the glass polish after a massive clean up...after spring really comes and I stop burning. It's been a good winter.

Attachments

20190324_224215.jpg
.JPG | 549.7KB | 20190324_224215.jpg

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 3:05 pm

I have finally found a seller to ship Incredible Pink to Canada and bought some. Feeling more joy over it than transfers to paper.
Getting ready for winter after what turned into a hot humid summer.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”