Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 9:39 am

There's a beautiful Chubby on eBay in case anyone wants to look at it. Does anyone know why a ship is on them? Noticed the ship in forum pics here too.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Well! It took a year but the Chubby homepage says acanthus leaves all over and the Mayflower. Why the Mayflower?
The Mayflower was startlingly short and fat.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 3:54 pm

The Chubby homepage is very interesting. I love the goodbye cold home story at the end too. A steel-cast cast iron gut with a two inch air pocket and an internal shaker that purportedly eliminates all mess.
The snow is starting to fall and I'm going to load my Modern Oak. Not as modern as a Chubby. Going to pry knto the forum Chubby pages now. My laundry is done and NO! I cant think of anything better or more relaxing to do.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:51 am

Used to be able to get stove coal in Bangor or Malone. The delivery man has customers who only want nut but I need stove may have to go myself from Ontario.
Does anyone know where I can get stove coal? Willing to drive a few hours and pick up a ton or two.
One thread suggests Chazy but Im not seeing suppliers in the online list of suppliers?

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Wren wrote:
Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:51 am
Used to be able to get stove coal in Bangor or Malone. The delivery man has customers who only want nut but I need stove may have to go myself from Ontario.
Does anyone know where I can get stove coal? Willing to drive a few hours and pick up a ton or two.
One thread suggests Chazy but Im not seeing suppliers in the online list of suppliers?
Where are you located?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Wren,

Why stove coal, if getting longer run times is one of your priorities ?

Nut coal in either of those Glenwoods will give you close to the same heat output and about two hours more good burn time.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 6:44 pm

I dont know why, but I get a linger burn with stove. I came home today and both fires are out. I understand the principle, but
I find that when I burn nut coal a forty pound bag does not fill the pot and turns into molten sludge that seems to want to vent through the bottom of the firepot instead of out the chimney. Even in the range if I put a layer of stove in the middle it burns longer.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm in Alexandria Ontario.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Oh nooo! Red flagged somewhere on a government computer!!!

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 11:38 pm

The 116 is hardly filled because my level of competence just doesn't allow for it. Still, although we have a weather alert on and minus thirty Celsius it's 80 F in the room with the 116.
I dont understand but it doesnt matter. I'm afraid of it full of molten nut but not full of the stove.
I dont have time to fill it with nut in the morning though. It takes me about 2 a half hours for stove coal already. Anyway, it's warm inside and deadly outside. I wish I knew why it behaves differently sometimes but perhaps it doesnt matter.

Attachments

20190119_231441.jpg
.JPG | 447.7KB | 20190119_231441.jpg

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 8:48 am

It should run more consistent and longer if you fill the pot all the way up to the top of brick,
I wouldn’t worry about being afraid of all the burning coal inside that’s what it was built for, if it dose scare you that much keep a bucket of ash on hand to dump on top of the coal bed and it will snuff the fire almost out

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 9:21 am

Ok. Good idea, Thanks. I certainly have plenty of ash....
Our storm warning is still on. But I must say that way back when they used coal, if it was down to fifty when they got up they had every confidence that shortly they could be cooking. I feel as though I'm rediscovering cause and effect but it doesnt hurt to get basic rules down again.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 11:07 am

Wren wrote:
Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 6:44 pm
I dont know why, but I get a linger burn with stove. I came home today and both fires are out. I understand the principle, but
I find that when I burn nut coal a forty pound bag does not fill the pot and turns into molten sludge that seems to want to vent through the bottom of the firepot instead of out the chimney. Even in the range if I put a layer of stove in the middle it burns longer.
Something is not right.

A draft reversal through the primaries and 2-1/2 hours to get a fire going means there's a problem, or problems. Your using the same stoves that many of us have, so there's no secrets to operating them successfully, or figuring out why they don't respond like others do.

Combining the long start times with, only working (sorta) on stove coal, makes my first thought that it sounds like your stoves have poor draft - which becomes a safety concern that needs to be figured out before Wren becomes the, "canary in a coal mine.". So if it is a draft problem, than the next question is what is causing that ? Chimney, stove leaks, or house sealed-up too tight?

Starting a new fire from empty grates should not take 2-1/2 hours. More like an hour. And shaking ash and refueling should only take about half that.

There's five most common things that cause problems getting a stove going in a reasonable amount of time. In order of most common to least,....

1 Poor drafting chimney system.
2. Air leaks into the stove, and/or, pipes above the level of the grates.
3. Incomplete daily clearing of ash and clinkers.
4, Wrong refueling technique for the type of stove.
5. Poor quality, or wrong type coal.

First off, "molten mess" sounds more like you have Bit coal. Are you sure it's anthracite ? Are the majority of the chunks hard and glass-like shiny ?

What color is the majority of the ash from the nut coal ? Does it bourn to big chunks close to the size it went in, or get smaller ? Are the ash chunks easily broken up in your fingers, or are they too hard to do that ? Is there a lot of fused rusty iron slag in the ash ?

Can you post some clear pix of the nut coal and it's ash ?

Have you checked the stoves for leaks above the level of the grates using a smoldering string or incense stick held up against all the seams, door edges, and pipe joints ? All the seams inside the range oven, too ?

When you reload the stoves do you open the dampers fully and wait about five minutes for the fire bed to get going and build up a "heat bank" - a heat surplus in the stove, pipe, and chimney before putting fresh coal in ?

Which do you do first, shake ash, or load in a layer of fresh coal ?

I know this is a lot of questions but trouble-shooting a stove problem is a long list of things to check. Quite often it's not just one thing causing a poor acting system. Skip checking something and the poor responding stove may not be solved completely.

And, I have basically the same stoves that you have, so we should be able to figure out what's going on so that you don't have to be spending so much time getting the stoves going. :yes:

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 11:29 am

Are you certain that the damper in the back pipe and in the smoke pipe are both open when re-fueling?

A manometer to measure actual draft would be helpful.

Do you notice any sulphur smell when first entering house from outside?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 12:37 pm

No back pipe on her 116. Unfortunately, it doesn't even have the cast iron base support to put one on.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”