Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 28, 2018 8:10 pm

W, we had a WET summer--this heat is a God send. Lots of crops rotted.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Aug. 28, 2018 9:17 pm

real dry here the last month+ so of course got 6" in some spots last night and 10" further to the east. Never an inch at a time. More tonight. Yippie! :lol: Beats plant/root rot though (dry weather).

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 6:41 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Aug. 28, 2018 8:10 pm
W, we had a WET summer--this heat is a God send. Lots of crops rotted.
Everything is so damp, this is the first year I haven't been able to close the back door because the wood of the door and jam have swelled so much. If it doesn't dry soon, I might have to pull it and plane down the edges.

I wonder if I can get my taxes reduced now that my back yard can be classed as wet lands ? :D

Paul

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Sep. 14, 2018 9:34 am

If only! More likely to raise them because you have a dock(back steps) and swimming pool!!
So I was on my way to work and walked past a thing I read about that helps with a weaker draft that I thought was really, really cool. Its was a spinning chimney cap so I knocked just to be sure they were getting rid of it not about to install it and she said pick it up after work and I forgot but went the next day and will put in on the shorter summer kitchen stack

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Sep. 14, 2018 1:35 pm

W, the whirly birds work well!! :)

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Sep. 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Aha! Glad to hear it. Not that I actually had trouble, but I know its the minimum height. What a brilliant invention. Some guy on this site says, " If it were any more simple it wouldn't work"
We were down to eight degrees at night for a while and I did start the range one morning to take the chill off.
Supposed to be a terrible winter. Many in town are insulating extra and filling holes. I had better also while its nice.

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Sep. 27, 2018 9:11 am

We have had between 4 and @4 Celsius at night so range running on and off. I want to lift the piece attached to the roof and put some sealer under as I did not when I installed the Tiger chimney one January. I'm finishing early today and plan to get it done. Before we get snow or something.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 10:03 pm

So I got the old cap off and the "whirly bird" on yesterday. I could get two screws in easily but the other I had to drive a screw into the roof so as to brace my foot against while I leaned my back against the peak of the roof and held the screw driver above my head for about two hours until I finally drove the screw straight and through the metal. When I sat up, Lorianne was laughing looking up from two gardens away no doubt wondering why I take so much joy in doing tasks CLEARLY not meant for women. She said she was taking Eric my neighbour food again. Right neighborly of her. I only need to take all the screws out of the flashing and maybe bang it upwards an inch if I can and put the screws back in but I have to find my gun for the sealer to put under before I screw it down.
I also might have to adjust the level of the whirly bird as it seems to spin instantly and effortlessly at s certain angle. Then I might paint the flashing and chimney black to match the bird. Still a long list of things to do before winter.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 11:03 pm

You sound "way" to ambitious Jen. Kudos to you. If you're on your roof, I hope you're tieing yourself off to something. And don't use a rope around your waste, run it over the ridge, down the frt, and tied off to a vehicles bumper. I heard some guy did this years ago, but neglected to take his keys out of the ignition. His wife took off to the store. :clap: :lol:

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Oct. 02, 2018 9:40 pm

That is hopefully a joke!!! Poor guy would fly and drag. Cartoon style. No I didn't tie up but although its only the summer kitchen roof I wouldn't want to fall. The chimney goes one side close to the peak. The range is going now. Its 48 degrees American and the house needed warming.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 02, 2018 10:10 pm

:o Good for you Wren, getting the job done.

Reminds me of my Aunt in Canarese, Brooklyn.

She had a drain gutter down spout come loose on a second story roof of her three story house. While I was there visiting I went out an attic window onto the second story roof.

It was too steep to lean over, so laying facing downslope over the edge I was able to reattach the down spout. As I was doing that I became aware of a pair of ladies shoes next the me at the roof edge.

I looked over and my Aunt was standing with her toes just about at the roof edge and she was leaning out to watch what I was doing. As I looked up shocked at her, she calmly looked down at me and said, How's it going kid ?".

Some Women just don't know when to be scared. :lol:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 9:28 pm

She sounds awesome!!! What s sweetheart to come out to you. She must have had great great balance and ...poise? For my part,I get scared but it's sort of "needs must when the devil drives."Was she in the army or something that she was so fearless and nimble?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 9:46 pm

She was in her early eighties at the time. :D

No military, and she was never into sports like my Mom,..... she was just raised by strong parents who didn't let their daughters believe they couldn't do things that others could do. They also had been raised with coal heat,... maybe that's part of it ? ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 9:56 am

Early eighties! Pretty good balance still. Oh my I hope I can still climb out the window by then. I won't be standing near any edge except a water edge though.
The range is going again. First fall connected and I think Id better get some coffee made before I go to work. I thought her name was Canarese but no, its a place name. I like coffee to taste like coffee usually but saw a Bailey's creamer so Ill try it this morning. Hope every one is enjoying getting ready for thanks giving. Ill be cooking on the range, and I'm making cherry pie and pumpkin pie only and the turkey. Appetites aren't what they used to be and my eldest are out west, my grandchildren too. I'd better fuss over these last two I guess before they are gone.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Yep, it happens quick W---:)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”