Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks for the warning about the oil. I think I'd like a wrap- around- a -corner- of- the- summer- kitchen porch to store coal in a part of. It's in the back hall right now and the floor was ripped up there so right now it's no problem. I appreciate an indestructable floor more and more I might use brick or maybe mold stonelike slabs out of concrete but who knows, thats a project.
I read a book called The Claim about the building of the railway. The surveyors' house had a good supply of coal in a shed attached to the back of the house. Through a basement window is ideal but I dont want to run up and down the stairs with the bags maybe 'though I did that last year. It would be a good place for it though and somewhere in the posts are bin building ins
IMG_20180226_141832.jpg
.JPG | 366.4KB | IMG_20180226_141832.jpg
tructions I think.
The coal did seem like wood all flaming this morning. Completely shut bottom air and check damper one third. Hard to believe coal can vary. No way of knowing to look at it? But it always heats so no complaints. Range is very hot today though. I can warm plates on the shelf. Feeling smug about it.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 12:09 pm

I put a coffee mug down on the range once and the bottom crscked immediately. Didnt feel so smug about that.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 1:55 pm

You have an outdoor summer kitchen? If you put your cookstove on wheels, then you could move it out there, for your 3 weeks of summer, and not worry about baking out your home. Think we already discussed this tho.
For my storage situation, cause I only buy a couple ton a season, I stack the pallets of bags next to the outside of my garage, and on the weekends, carry a 1/2 a dozen bags into my 3 season sunroom, and pick from that during the week. It's only a few steps inside to my stove, through the slider. Not as easy as turning up a thermostat on the oil monger in the cellar, but could be worse. I like to call it "exercise", but if there were an easier way, I'ld probably go that route.
By the way Jen, your stew looks delicious. :)

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Thats a good plan, to have most of it somewhere and bring in enough for a while.
No, 'round here the summer kitchens are attached to the house and usually now a year round kitchen. The door to the kitchen is in a solid outdoor wall . Im not clear but I guess at some point it was literally a summer kitchen.
I think some people moved the stove out but a neighbour who grew up on a farm said there were two stoves,and a third in the kitchen in the woods where they boiled the sap and they did shifts and boiled 24 hours and were sent with really good food. Suddenly Im starving.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for the ebay post, Sunny. Gettin' up a good tool collection. I did not try ro grill yet but my daughter...is very demanding. Bye

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 2:21 pm

IMG_20180313_153550.jpg
.JPG | 341.7KB | IMG_20180313_153550.jpg
Happy St. Patrick's day to everyone one! Cold snap here til Tuesday. Everyone in town has had flu. I got tired but not sick Thank God. The coal keeps the house too warm for germs and my coal ash around foundation has kept my basement dry so no dampness either.
Planning Easter cooking as it will be the first Range Holiday. I think Lamb, I dont find the range different really, but I love the heat and still love the extra burners.
I may try to get some wood ready for next winter, good dry split wood that I can use to revive the fire when I have let it go too long. Chacoal is ten for 15lb. here and I like it, will always have it around but am not addicted.
The children are too grown up for green mashed potatoes: so sad.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Happy St. Patty's day to you also Jen.
With as many stoves as you've got, if one loses a fire, can't you just "borrow" some coal from one of your other stoves, to revive the weak one? (Bad joke :roll2: ) I keep thinking I'll put some wood in my G111 during these "shoulder" months, but haven't gotten there yet.
And the only green food in my possession, is the stuff I've left too long in the back of the fridge. :hangover:

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Oh M G!!! Green food at the back of your fridge. How horrible, but Thanks! Thst's exactly the kind of green food my youngest son will appreciate. I guess he's got a guy's sense of humour. :clap:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Damn Jenn, I thought I was the only one that put ash's around the foundation. Sure tightens up this 200 yr. old farm house. Well played. :)
Wren wrote:
Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 2:21 pm
IMG_20180313_153550.jpgHappy St. Patrick's day to everyone one! Cold snap here til Tuesday. Everyone in town has had flu. I got tired but not sick Thank God. The coal keeps the house too warm for germs and my coal ash around foundation has kept my basement dry so no dampness either.
Planning Easter cooking as it will be the first Range Holiday. I think Lamb, I dont find the range different really, but I love the heat and still love the extra burners.
I may try to get some wood ready for next winter, good dry split wood that I can use to revive the fire when I have let it go too long. Chacoal is ten for 15lb. here and I like it, will always have it around but am not addicted.
The children are too grown up for green mashed potatoes: so sad.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 8:21 pm

What's this secret trick, nobody's mentioned about ashing your foundation? I've been been looking for places to get rid of that crap for years, and now you're sayin it's good for repairing crumbling foundations? Mine is all cinder block, and leaks like a submarine with screen doors, so if I dump a few seasons worth of ash around the perimeter, will it seal the water, bugs and rodents from entering?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I just dump half neatly during winter & in the spring, I go around & push real serious with rake & hoe & taper it down. Flower beds cover the foundation walls spring, summer & fall. Hell J, lil critters still get in but not much. Damn lil meeces like to stay warm too!!! LOL Should cut leakage down. Mines stone so lots of lil lips to hold it.

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Mar. 22, 2018 12:50 am

Aha! Mine is stone too. I tried out of desperation and was relieved it works. Neat and simple and an endless supply, although it actually didnt take much. Id like to keep some in a bin. Im waiting to read an ash mask will get rid of wrinkles and a teaspoon in water will raise the IQ and ... well maybe not. Bet it has more uses yet though. I've read tons of this site and someoñe said they put it on their driveway so Ive been building mine up too. They used coal ash in road work for years apparently too. Im pretty pleased.
And you'll be so happy with your basement, Joeq. Dry is how they gotta be. No drilling or injecting concrete or other headaches. And yeah, its a great way tobget rid of the ash. Im glad you said you've been doing it Freetown, I get so enthused about coal. :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Mar. 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Wren wrote:
Thu. Mar. 22, 2018 12:50 am
an ash mask will get rid of wrinkles and a teaspoon in water will raise the IQ and ... I get so enthused about coal. :D
So that's your secret to youth Jen, and why you're so intelligent. I had heard it was a prerequisite to being a member on this site, and the only way I got in was through the back door, late night, when all the mods were sleepin. :D :baby:

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Mar. 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Omg. Your sense of humour. I do have wrinkles. My children say they arent age wrinkles, just fat wrinkles. Thank God easy to get on this site. One day, she said, sighing and smiling and gazing idiotically into space,I will learn to heat water.... You know, my basement smells better dry.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Mar. 22, 2018 7:18 pm

I don't know what a dry basement smells like Jen. Could you "can" some of it for me, and ship it here, so I can check out the smell? ;)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”