Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Damn people, just readin all this has gotten my hunt & peck finger cramped!!!!

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Not yet.... Just brownies with perfect cracked tops and roasts and lots of regular stuff. But sometimes I think I should change my nickname to Overfire. Usually it burns normally and very easy, almost always still going in morning but yesterday burned hot hot hot all day even with air shut and couldn't decide whether to close check more or leave it open but neither helped. I know with the 116 it's me - a call comes in and it doesn't take long for that poor pot to turn pink. I love looking through the cooking posts.
screen on 'phone smashed, no pics of the all important brownies. But my son's friends are starting to look in just in case. I'll do anything to keep them home.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 3:26 pm

Wren wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 1:58 pm
Not yet.... Just brownies with perfect cracked tops and roasts and lots of regular stuff. But sometimes I think I should change my nickname to Overfire. Usually it burns normally and very easy, almost always still going in morning but yesterday burned hot hot hot all day even with air shut and couldn't decide whether to close check more or leave it open but neither helped. I know with the 116 it's me - a call comes in and it doesn't take long for that poor pot to turn pink. I love looking through the cooking posts.
screen on 'phone smashed, no pics of the all important brownies. But my son's friends are starting to look in just in case. I'll do anything to keep them home.
Was it really cold there ? As I'm sure your finding out, he colder it gets, the stronger the draft gets, which causes shorter burn times if you don't lower that draft strength somehow.

When temps get below a certain point, you might need to use some amount of check damper opening to extend through the night. You'll need to experiment how much damper setting works for your stove/chimney system. Because the check damper affect on strong draft takes time, you may not need as much check damper opening as you think.

When it's below zero F here, I open the check damper about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way and that gives it burn times equal to about freezing temps and above.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, has been below zero here. The range has only gone out twice over night!!! Generally I can feel the heat as I go in the kitchen in the morning, but every single time it is like a miracle as I approach. The 116 is generally out but it heats the largest part of the house so gets worked to death by morning.
I should be careful to shut it the third more often. There are some nights I looked maybe three in morning and the left i and t's were glowing. But maybe I can blame it on the previous life with wood? Maybe not. I definitely have a tendency to burn too hot, maybe out of fear of losing the fire. But in general all well. Always shut bottom air at night. It was weird the other day - the right hand side of the stove could boil water :o

Warming up here slowly although we never know. Last year we had 35 below Celsius one week mid March. I guess I'm ready though. It definitely takes the weight off the 116 to have the other side of the house covered. Without the range I ran the 116 kind of hard but the pot never turned pink once during our 3 weeks of continuous 35 or more below in Dec./Jan. I don't often even fill it up when the range runs now.
I've started sticking to the rules more, and although it does take time to heat layers properly, the burn is much better and it's worth the time, it takes me the evening to get the pot ready for the night.
Sometimes I put coal in and shake down too quickly in the morning and put out a fire that really was doing well before I meddled too fast but even that is less often now if I go slowly and watch how much movement I inflict depending on how strong the coals are, although I did almost kill the range this morning because it looked and felt strong enough to take the shakedown but I should have waited until the added layer of coal was burning I think. Usually okay. Still survived, just barely. The range has a great feel to it, so solid and smooth(except where the wood fires pocked the left side in places.)

There is a chuck roast and baby back ribs in the cooking posts that I need to try, and I haven't tried broiling yet because I haven't recovered from all the burn marks I have collected since the season started and don't want to play with that door while it is hot. If I could find smaller, light weight, flexible welders gloves....

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 3:12 pm

You have to think the reverse of wood. Burning a coal fired range too hot is a very good way to lose the fire.

If you have dampers so open that the top plates are glowing red, the small fireboxes of ranges will burn up a load of fuel in less than half the time. Been there a few times. :oops:

Remember, ranges are not designed for heating large areas like a "heating stove", such as your 116. With their shallower fireboxes ranges are designed to respond to heat demand changes more quickly. They give up about half a heating stove's depth of firebed to be able to do that.

However, if just before bed time you load them to the top plates and damper them down to where the primaries only open a sliver (about 2 mm) and the MPD FULLY closed, they can easily burn all night and still stay hot enough to have a large kettle of hot water waiting for you on the middle back burner, first thing in the morning. And after opening the MPD, oven damper, and primary, they can quickly be revved back up to full cooking and baking temps within about 10 minutes.

And yes, trying to reload fresh fuel faster makes it take longer. Like the old saying, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get !" ;)

Tractor Supply had a good selection of women's sized leather work gloves anytime we needed them for my daughters, or Melissa. You can also find welding gloves in women's sizes on line, such as these. https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-Womens-Cowhide-Wel ... B003GM5XL0

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Interesting reading Paul. You kinda cleared up and explained some basic stove procedures that I need often, to keep me on the straight and narrow. I'll bet you'll be the queen of your stoves in no time Jen. :D

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Well for Pete's sake!!!Those are really nice! In Canada we pay ridiculous prices for welder's gloves!!!That blue is pretty, too. The blue and yellow say heat and fire resistant and high enough on the arm. Not really sure why it's mid arm above wrist generally. Too much meddling. I hit the tops when spreading coal evenly sometimes.
Yeah. If it were an exam I forgot to say we must give it air to heat up the fire pot before shutting down for the night. And that hurrier quote suits coal for sure. I remember throwing wood on the fire and going back to bed without even waiting to see it catch I knew where it was going. Not so with coal.

Have you found a range purdy enough to tempt your wife yet , Joeq? There's always one that will capture the heart somehow. And I'm reluctant say so, but I think they have absorbed the feel of the old families that used and lived with them. I really love this stove: it's like having a Grandma and two sweet Aunties and a mother in the kitchen. Very happy feeling from the stove but it is expecting alot more cooking to be going on. Quiet disapproval.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Wren wrote:
Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 1:13 pm
Well for Pete's sake!!!Those are really nice! In Canada we pay ridiculous prices for welder's gloves!!!That blue is pretty, too. The blue and yellow say heat and fire resistant and high enough on the arm. Not really sure why it's mid arm above wrist generally. Too much meddling. I hit the tops when spreading coal evenly sometimes.
Yeah. If it were an exam I forgot to say we must give it air to heat up the fire pot before shutting down for the night. And that hurrier quote suits coal for sure. I remember throwing wood on the fire and going back to bed without even waiting to see it catch I knew where it was going. Not so with coal.

Have you found a range purdy enough to tempt your wife yet , Joeq? There's always one that will capture the heart somehow. And I'm reluctant say so, but I think they have absorbed the feel of the old families that used and lived with them. I really love this stove: it's like having a Grandma and two sweet Aunties and a mother in the kitchen. Very happy feeling from the stove but it is expecting alot more cooking to be going on. Quiet disapproval.

Likely, you've never welded with short gloves and had a weld-spatter go down inside the glove. :o

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 1:55 pm

No I have not. I've never done more than solder pipes and that scared me enough. I've seen my brother use an arc welder though. Spatter trapped in the glove?!!That has to hurt....

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Wren wrote:
Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 1:13 pm
Jen, our kitchen is relatively small, and won't handle a wood/coal cooktop "and" an electric one. I would like to have one there for heat, aesthetics, and cooking, even if only part time on the cooking part. But the Mrs. won't buy into it, so with-out the passion for it, (like I have), it must be a "joint" approval, otherwise...well, you know the rest.
So Jen, do you still run the tiger, now that the 116 and the cooktop are there? And with the cooktop, will you use it in the summer time months? (I believe that's 3 1/2 weeks for you guys up there, between July and Aug.?) :lol:

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Hahahaaa. True enough. Zone 4b but we never know. May could be hot or cold and September too but nights can be cold all summer or hot and airless.
Because I have taken over the shed that was half the summer kitchen(only kitchen for years probably) I now have room although project not finished.
Don't run Tig but if I had more shimmies it would be better some days when warm. Must put the stoves on casters and develop a chimney attachment that is universal. Just kidding.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Wren wrote:
Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 1:55 pm
No I have not. I've never done more than solder pipes and that scared me enough. I've seen my brother use an arc welder though. Spatter trapped in the glove?!!That has to hurt....
Sometimes it goes in your ear too.....have to wear cotton balls for that....nothing like having what sounds and feels like frying bacon bouncing around your ear....

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Sounds like a torture technique. Geez.

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 2:15 pm

https://wikidiff.com/scuttle/hod
Someone was using the word hod but I am used to coal scuttle.
I have looked it up. This is not important at all but did anyone hear hod growing up? Used for coal or anything else? Suprised to see a new word introduced and the bin selling as a hod isnt reallllly three sided.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Must put the stoves on casters and develop a chimney attachment that is universal. Just kidding.
That is exactly what you do. That cold air keeps the brain sharp.

Attachments

100_1014.JPG
.JPG | 386.9KB | 100_1014.JPG

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”