Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 10:40 am

Wren wrote:
Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 6:16 pm
Huh. Says he doesn't now. Sorry, but he did say he knew where the were alot of good cookstoves. Temperamental.
Thanks anyway for trying.

How's it going with getting your range set up ?

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 5:10 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 7:33 pm
I wouldn't put much faith in a man who climbs around in trees looking for the many stoves he claims to know about.
rofl_display.jpg
.JPG | 28.5KB | rofl_display.jpg
Good one Dave.

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Nice to laugh.

Wilson says he has everything I need to get it going. I will call Monday.
I "just" have to level that end of the kitchen and lay a floor and hearth. The stove is the inspiration I need to finish that project. 😡 The flooring has been lying around but the levelling stopped me. On YouTube a guy just poured some self levelling stuff, and that sounds more sure than playing with concrete. So. I had better get it done.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Wren wrote:
Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 9:41 pm
Nice to laugh.

Wilson says he has everything I need to get it going. I will call Monday.
I "just" have to level that end of the kitchen and lay a floor and hearth. The stove is the inspiration I need to finish that project. 😡 The flooring has been lying around but the levelling stopped me. On YouTube a guy just poured some self levelling stuff, and that sounds more sure than playing with concrete. So. I had better get it done.

I knew Wilson would have the parts. He's restored a bunch of Glenwood ranges and he uses them to heat and cook with.

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Unless the floor is way off, you can level the stove itself with some steel washers under the legs, or anything else handy that wont burn..

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 12:25 am

It IS great news that Wilson has the parts. Was relieved to hear it.
Yes. Floor way off. Won't take long now though. Shed on back of summer kitchen Irate, couldn't see out. Son, sledgehammer, etc.,4 years ago, other son, big window, all good, must finish now. The Glenwood is tapping her foot and telling me exactly how she might be comfortably installed. " Coming, Auntie!"

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 12:51 am

I don't know if the codes in Canada permit it, but,.....ranges sit higher and don't heat the floor near as much as a parlor stove. Very often they were installed right on wooden floors without any type of hearth. They sometimes just used those round glass furniture floor protectors so that the cast iron feet don't dent the wood floor.

The highest temp I've ever had the floor get when the range is really running hot is 110 F under the firebox end of the oven flues. You might expect that it would be hotter under the firebox, but the ash drawer floor and ash pan shield it quite a bit.

My cats often sleep under the oven in the dead of winter.

I didn't want any hearth that would have enough thickness we'd be tripping over it as we worked at the range. But, my kitchen has a couple of thicknesses of old linoleum floor coverings and sub flooring over the original maple flooring. I didn't know how it would stand up to heat, and I didn't know that the range doesn't get as hot under it as all the other stoves I've used. So, I cut through the linoleum and sub flooring down to the level of the maple and put slates over a thin bed of sand. That sand and slate worked out to be the same level as all the layers of flooring over the maple.

However, if I ever pull up all the linoleum and the maple flooring is exposed I will not use any hearth.

All the years Melissa's mother cooked on their Acorn range, there's not one burn mark, or heat discoloration in the floor boards under and around the range.

Some range owners put one of those hearth boards under the firebox end to catch any spilled ashes.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 11:13 am

That's interesting. I noticed in one of the photos the floor is the same colour as the one I had chosen and that the range was on it. That would be fine. I don't find the 116 messy at all. My son took six layers off our kitchen floor(not the shed part)about 5 years ago but the sub flooring was earth in some places from water and damp I guess. An old house is a project. A neighbour found big money in their walls!!! Old Mr Duggan didn't trust the banks I guess. Well that ends speculation in that area, thanks. We technically have no code for coal stoves which is one reason I looked at Nepa for codes for the 116. They don't even sell triple wall chimney pipe this side of the border I don't think. We aren't allowed to burn coal inside in Ontario, or to generate electricity. Everyone is going gas which is cheap, although I did not find installation cheap, but studies...sigh. Show natural gas causes environmental illnesses and should be left to the generation of electricity.

(photo: D. Wimberly)

=======================

"...use of domestic gas appliances,
especially gas stoves, was linked to
increased asthma, respiratory illness,
and impaired lung function..."

But heating was bad too, and several studies, even in England seem to think so.
I have a clear conscience burning anthracite.

====================

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 11:45 am

If you look at many old pictures of kitchen ranges, it's quite common to see them not on any type of hearth, just a wood floor.

I have seen a few old black & white pictures where they used those glass floor protectors under the range feet, just like in the picture below of Mellissa's parent's Acorn range.

And those glass floor protectors are still available - sometimes called "furniture cups" or "furniture coasters."

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Set-of-4-Gl ... Coasters-3
https://www.vandykes.com/glass-coasters-furniture ... es/c/1600/

If you do have to shim under the legs to level it at all, be careful to keep the load as even as possible on all the legs. You don't want one leg carrying more than it's share of the range's weight. And you have to figure for more than just the weight of the range. Pots/pans full of food and water, or people leaning on a cold stove in the off-season, all that can put added strain on the curved legs.

Paul

Attachments

P1010005.JPG
.JPG | 182.3KB | P1010005.JPG

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks. I think that is a good idea. Noticed them in a post. If any shimming/levelling is done it will be before nails/ anything is solid. It's a small area. Worth the effort now for the long term.
Oh. Hey! No. I don't want to see anyone sitting on the stove!!! Lots of chairs I think okay. I like the model, not too delicate but still graceful.Strong.

Attachments

0a27b8246202e3cd284aaafaddaf8d1d.jpg
.JPG | 41.1KB | 0a27b8246202e3cd284aaafaddaf8d1d.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Not sitting, just leaning on the range to reach over.

Plus, the cooktop often becomes one big shelf in the off-season for all kinds of stuff.

The range can hold a lot, but no sense risking finding out what it's limit is by not spread the load as evenly as possible on all four legs. ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Sat. Oct. 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Ok. We had best be careful because ranges don't grow on trees over here in Canada and I've never liked travelling much. It's off in a corner, or will be. Hopefully will be okay.
My son has been demonstrating how he can throw his 'phone at the wall in its otter box. This generation does seem to expect things to take a beating but I did try to point out that he is supposed to be learning how to take care of his things properly.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Sooo happy. Wilson has all the parts plus, and even my mother and grandmother managed to get in on this project. I could not be happier that I came across Nepa Coalpail. Now I just have to and look at that left hand side of the firebox....

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 11:59 pm

Wren wrote:
Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 7:37 pm
Sooo happy. Wilson has all the parts plus, and even my mother and grandmother managed to get in on this project. I could not be happier that I came across Nepa Coalpail. Now I just have to and look at that left hand side of the firebox....
Is there a problem ?

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't think so. As long as there is something for the frame to rest on.
Must be there.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”