G111 Season 2

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Well people, the time has come once again. Altho we're not expecting any real frigid temps in the near future, because our highs aren't projecting anything warmer than high 40s for the foreseeable future, time to put the "Taunton Stove" in service again. Been waiting impatiently while you diehards have been enjoying your equipment already. It's time to put the TSC "Reading" nut and/or "Lehigh stove" coal to work. My daughter brought me home some Matchlight yesterday, (fresh, not like last year...Scott :lol: my fault, not yours), so later on, we hope to be up and running. Haven't decided to start off with the nut, or the stove size yet. Maybe the nut, seeing the temps won't be too bad yet. Pics to follow.
P.S. Our site Mod Lsfarm (Gregg) recommended I put the link to my 1st season thread here, for easy access, if anyone is interested.

Glenwood 111

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 8:16 pm

And the saga continues.
My 1st attempt today resulted in a blow torch of Matchlight, (1/4 pot) and another 1/4 of Lehigh stove coal, once the Matchlight was burning. In about 5 minutes the barrel temp was climbing, and the orange flames were roaring like a freight train. Both lower doors and MPD wide open. So I dumped in another small load of Lehigh, and in mins it had taken off and my barrel temp was heading past 500°! Quickly. Another helping of Lehigh, and W/I minutes more of the same. So I decided to fill the pot the rest of the way with coal, and in no time, the fire died down to almost nothing. The clinker door was red with Matchlight, but the whole pot above was unresponsive. The barrel temp and draft were heading to zero, so in about 15 mins, from roaring to nothing, I decided to start over.
Dumped the burning Matchlight into it's own pan, and the Lehigh stove coal into another, and started over. Using what had begun the process, and adding some more Matchlight, I was careful this time not to over do it. And it worked. I'll say maybe a 1/2 hour from the "2nd" beginning, to topping off the pot, and barrel temps in the 400s, I put it into BH mode, and have been smooth sailing since.
The oats are mid 30s, and the living area almost 80°. Been playing with the settings trying to control her while the system settles in and heats up, but hopefully by tomorrow the routine will begin. Have a few pics for you, and a "very" short video, but as usual, I'll have to give a disclaimer, and apologize for the quality. Not very good, but still learning.
This 1st pic is how a new set of bricks looks after only one half a seasons use. I had contemplated cleaning them up a bit, but decided once the pot is full, they won't look so ugly. This is how they looked today.
And here is the fire on it's way to normalcy. A bit blurry, but all I have for now.
And finally, once in base heater mode, I tried to do a video and capture the flames being sucked down around the suspended pot. One of our Glenwood members (sorry, the name has eluded me right now), but gave me the tip of filming with the door open, so more secondary air would propel the flames downward better. Still not as good a shot as I've seen, but I'll keep trying. The buffeting on this film is horrible on my computer. Does it play smoothly on anyone elses?
So I'll leave the beginning of season 2 with this shot of the G111 burning blue with Lehigh stove coal. Working very nice as of right now. Enjoy. :)

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 8:28 pm

She probably would have chugged along anyway Joe, no worries, let those layers catch good before dumping on more. Lehigh puts out some nice blues huh :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Scott. I believe the 1st fire got smothered pretty good. If it were to finally catch, it might've happened in the middle of the night. As I mentioned B4, I'm the impatient type, and need it "now". Capiche? And the Lehigh is making some good heat. Much better than the Kimmel stove crap I purchased last season.
Hope Cindy is being good to you. :D

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Looks like a nice fire.

Welcome back.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Looking good Joe.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 10:19 pm

corey wrote:Looks like a nice fire.
Welcome back.
Good to be back, Corey. Thanks.
tcalo wrote:Looking good Joe.
And thanks to you also Tom. Will we get to see some 109 action soon?

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 9:24 am

Joe welcome to the 16-17 heating season. I got a load of bulk Lehigh Nut. Im fully impressed I still have blues 10 hours well into the burn cycle. And the Ash? What Ash just a few short shakes and the ash pit is glowing again. Im now a true believer of Lehigh quality and will always try to buy from the them.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 10:29 am

I remember a statement from the Crane Coal Cooker manual...it basically said to never add more coal to the fire than what is already burning. Good advice for any stove.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello Brenden. Good to hear your G6 is being good to you. So you can notice the difference with the Lehigh, compared to the Blaschack?
And Rob, thanks for that "re-fill" tip. That's the point I'm at right now.
So here I am, 24 hrs into the burn cycle. 6 hours from the start, last night about 10pm, I gave the stove a little shaking of the grate, and topped the pot off with Reading nut. Set the MPD down, and the primary, and went to bed. Woke up to a warm upstairs hallway 8 hrs later, and just before leaving for work, did the same as the nite B4. A little rattle of the grate, and the pot (which had burned down about 1/2 way), I topped off with about 10-20lbs of nut...again. Went to work with the stove set to low, and in direct draft.
Here I am, 8 hrs later, and the stove was still 450 on the barrel, with an orange burning flame. The pot was down to maybe a 1/4-1/3 left. And the klinker door was grey, meaning the bottom was ashed up.
I've learned from the past, if I were to shake it down, I would lose most of the pot, and take forever to get it relit, so I've taken members advice, and have been "slowly" layering, poking, and more layering. Been adding the Lehigh stove size for tonite, hoping it'll ignite quicker than the nut coal. I have an hour invested, and am just about there.
Just finished my final shakedown, and "think" most, if not all of the ash is eliminated. So I topped the pot off with some reading nut, because the Lehigh stove beneath it had dancing ladies. Now I'm waiting for that to catch, barrel temps to rise, and put it into BH mode. Guess it'll be more like an hour and a half to be up and running, again.
Maybe a bit lengthy, but considering I really didn't do more than a couple quick shakes, and add about 25lbs total, (between 2 intervals) to keep it going, almost 24 hrs, I can't complain. Our living area will be warm during the "relaxing" hours of 6 to 10-11pm, and the halls will be warm in the morning, so I can't complain too much about some time getting it going after work. Maybe you guys will help me tweak the recovery time down a bit more.
As of the method I've been using tonite, had it in direct draft, ash pan removed, a/p door, and klinker door wide open, and a small 6" fan "supercharging the primary side, to help move some air through the partially clogged grate, that I would only poke at randomly to get some air movement. It seemed to work, altho a bit slowly.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 5:47 pm

I like the 3* photo very much Joeq.

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Welcome back to the dark side for heating season 2016-17 Joe!

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 6:55 pm

nortcan wrote:I like the 3* photo very much Joeq.
I must be missing something Nort. what's a "3*"?
ElCamMan515 wrote:Welcome back to the dark side for heating season 2016-17 Joe!
thanks Tim. guess you've probably been up and running a while now?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 7:24 pm

So Joe.....what are your initial thoughts on the LA?

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 8:05 pm

So far, Scott, the heat is pumping. But I have been mixing it with the Reading nut, too. I'm waiting to get some consistency, so I can get a feel for the ash content.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”