Glenwood No.118

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Your ramblings are welcome, as is your advice. My partner and I really do like the ability to also use coal. It's not that expensive up here, and it gives us the ability to leave for more than a few hours and come home to a warm house. We still want to primarily burn wood as it gives us a great deal of freedom from relying on a business to stock the coal. I'll keep on the lookout for a 14-16" Oak. Would a baseburner of the same size work, or would that be too much? I like the back pipe on the Modern Glenwood Oaks, but the "not modern" Oaks seem to have more ornate castings.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 6:21 pm

SpaceBus wrote:
Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 5:52 pm
We still want to primarily burn wood as it gives us a great deal of freedom from relying on a business to stock the coal.
You don’t need to rely on anyone to “stock coal” with all the property you own. Two years a go a friend of mine and I split 45,000 lbs of bagged anthracite in 50lb bags for just under $5k total with delivery. That’s $222.22 a ton. For me that’s about 5 years worth of heat. It all fit in an old 18 foot box truck body on his property.

Next time I’m buying the entire 45,000 lbs myself.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 6:43 pm

So SB, you say your house is a salt box design. Where will you be installing your stove? A cellar install, or on the living floor? Centrally located, or on an end wall? Do you have a stairwell, to the bedrooms...upstairs? You mentioned the old VC, is it in frt of a fireplace, or does it have a metal chimney pipe? All factors to consider when purchasing a stove. Would be nice to see your "before" pictures, (of your current installation) to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 6:46 pm

SpaceBus wrote:
Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 5:52 pm
Your ramblings are welcome, as is your advice. My partner and I really do like the ability to also use coal. It's not that expensive up here, and it gives us the ability to leave for more than a few hours and come home to a warm house. We still want to primarily burn wood as it gives us a great deal of freedom from relying on a business to stock the coal. I'll keep on the lookout for a 14-16" Oak. Would a baseburner of the same size work, or would that be too much? I like the back pipe on the Modern Glenwood Oaks, but the "not modern" Oaks seem to have more ornate castings.

Yes, you can use a base heater, such as a Glenwood #6, which is equivalent firepot size to a 116 Modern Oak. But expect to pay at least $1000.00 more than a 116 Modern Oak - even with the optional back pipe. The heat output of both is fairly close, with the base heater having a slight advantage of more surface area to shed heat down lower in the room, than a back pipe oak.

The Glenwood Modern Oaks (and the #6 & 8 base heaters) have triangular grates, which are much better for clearing coal ash and clinkers than any other grate design. Not all earlier oaks and base heaters have triangular grates. The GW Modern Oaks also use a "gas defuser" inside the rotary secondary damper in the loading door to give more even air flow over the firebed when using wood, or when needing to burn off the volatile gases right after a fresh load of coal.

Paul

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:52 am

Would an oak stove of any other manufacturer in the 14-16" range be sufficient for our house? The Modern GW 16 and 116 seem to have been the most popular stove. I am definitely paying attention to stoves with intakes in the ash pan and also on the doors for secondary burning. The oak style barrel stove seems to be what will work best for us, and also they are gorgeous. Especially some of the other manufactures with the very ornate Castings all over the body of the stove, more so than the modern GW stoves at least.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 12:41 pm

SpaceBus wrote:
Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:52 am
Would an oak stove of any other manufacturer in the 14-16" range be sufficient for our house? The Modern GW 16 and 116 seem to have been the most popular stove. I am definitely paying attention to stoves with intakes in the ash pan and also on the doors for secondary burning. The oak style barrel stove seems to be what will work best for us, and also they are gorgeous. Especially some of the other manufactures with the very ornate Castings all over the body of the stove, more so than the modern GW stoves at least.
In theory, yes, the same size firepots should be close. But in reality, not all oaks are created equal.

Glenwood Modern Oaks are so popular because of combination many features. Top quality construction, gas defuser secondary, front and top loading, triangular grates, plus option for a back pipe and coal magazine. You'll find more of the Modern Oaks than you will the very ornate earlier GW Oaks of the same size, even though their production years overlapped for quite a while.

Many oaks don't use the triangular grates, so clearing ash and clinkers well is not as easy. Plus the triangular grates having two sides extending down into the incoming air can take heat stress better and longer than flat design grates, such as the round draw center type. By rotating the grates to a different surface each day, it not only grinds up and dumps clinkers before they have time to harden, the wear and stress that can warp flat draw center grates, is eliminated with the triangular type.

The move toward simpler designs in the early 1900's was a styling trend throughout the industry. But, the operating features were improving, too. So, the early more ornate ones sometimes lack the improvements that were built into the later stoves while the styling trends were also becoming less ornate. So it's often a case of fancy looking but not as easy operating, or simpler looking with better operating features.

Having lived with both early fancy, and later simpler, the later simpler designs are easier to clean and polish and the added features make everyday use easier and more efficient.

Paul

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I think a concession to a more practical stove is a wise decision then. I am also finding the earlier oaks more expensive, befitting the exquisite castings I assume. This is not to say the Modern GW stoves are boring, and a 16 or 116 would probably fit better in our home.

We live in a 70's Salt box with solid wood and Terra cotta tiles, more of a "contemporary" cottage style, so a Victorian styled stove may look out of place anyway. I do still look at the Clarion Parlor stoves along with the Glenwood Cherub stoves. The Atlantic Parlor stoves seem nice as well, but we would prefer something with a bit more style to it.

Thank you for the insights!

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 2:18 pm

What are the technical differences between the 14/16 and 114/116? The optional back pipe is the only functional difference to my untrained eye.

I know the mica windows get soot covered really fast, but I still want them. Even just a glow coming through so I know what stage the fire is in would be nice. My current 1975 Defiant has no window and also a cracked Fireback. A window wouldn't be useful anyway since the secondary combustion happens behind the fireback.

The crack in the fireback of my stove is causing the primary air, secondary air, and wood gasses to all blend together. This is killing my efficiency and also continuing to degrade the fireback. Eventually it will collapse onto the floor of the stove. I haven't been burning when not at home because of this issue. We can't afford a new stove right now, antique or otherwise, so we are really hoping the stove can make it a few more months.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 2:51 pm

SpaceBus wrote:
Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 2:18 pm
What are the technical differences between the 14/16 and 114/116? The optional back pipe is the only functional difference to my untrained eye.

I know the mica windows get soot covered really fast, but I still want them. Even just a glow coming through so I know what stage the fire is in would be nice. My current 1975 Defiant has no window and also a cracked Fireback. A window wouldn't be useful anyway since the secondary combustion happens behind the fireback.

The crack in the fireback of my stove is causing the primary air, secondary air, and wood gasses to all blend together. This is killing my efficiency and also continuing to degrade the fireback. Eventually it will collapse onto the floor of the stove. I haven't been burning when not at home because of this issue. We can't afford a new stove right now, antique or otherwise, so we are really hoping the stove can make it a few more months.

As far as I know, the two digit models don't have triangular grates that the three digit models do. I think the two digit models have the flat draw center type grates.

It won't be long before you don't see any glow showing through the mica with wood. It's nothing like the newer "air washed" windows of wood stoves where they get a bit sooty after awhile, but you can still see some glow. Think more like, after a day or two of wood burning, it'll be like trying to see through black spray paint. That's why someone said you might as well just paint the mica windows over if your going to burn wood.

About 15 years ago, before I got back into coal, I had heard Vermont stoves were having trouble with casting breaking after a change of ownership. I looked up reviews online of them and lots of complaints. Then I looked up Napoleon wood stoves from Canada and no complaints. Bought the Napoleon and while picking it up, the wife bought me the coal range. After using the coal stove, I never installed the Napoleon. :D

Paul

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Ours is from 1975 and has a single piece Fireback, and that is a design flaw that was remedied with a two piece back. Problem is, I have to completely rebuild the stove to retrofit the new parts, and replace the left load door. The cost in parts alone is $700. I plan on keeping this stove and rebuilding it for a planned shop. I don't want the weight of keeping my home warm and safe riding on a stove I rebuilt.

The mica is easy to clean with newspaper, a dab of water, and wood ash. This doesn't bother me. It's also prettier to look at. Are the triangular grates that much better? The reason I'm asking is Bryant stoves has a MGW no. 16 for a reasonable price. It seems they were never made with mica windows, but a post by Antique Stove Hospital makes it seem like the 1X stoves are better made. Is the difference between the two types academic?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:37 pm

SpaceBus wrote:
Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:00 pm
Ours is from 1975 and has a single piece Fireback, and that is a design flaw that was remedied with a two piece back. Problem is, I have to completely rebuild the stove to retrofit the new parts, and replace the left load door. The cost in parts alone is $700. I plan on keeping this stove and rebuilding it for a planned shop. I don't want the weight of keeping my home warm and safe riding on a stove I rebuilt.

The mica is easy to clean with newspaper, a dab of water, and wood ash. This doesn't bother me. It's also prettier to look at. Are the triangular grates that much better? The reason I'm asking is Bryant stoves has a MGW no. 16 for a reasonable price. It seems they were never made with mica windows, but a post by Antique Stove Hospital makes it seem like the 1X stoves are better made. Is the difference between the two types academic?
I've had a flat round grate stove, that can only be shaken left/right, that I used for many years. Now I use two triangular grate stoves. The difference has to be tried to be appreciated. The triangular grates are a wonderful improvement as far as ease and thoroughness of clearing ash and clinkers very well. I'm so spoiled that I'd never buy a non-triangular grate stove,... but with 5 triangular grate stoves now, I won't have to worry. :D

I've heard that said that the GW oaks without windows are the two digit models. Except one of my 118s has no windows and all the parts, including the loading door without windows, and the front of the firepot apron, are all clearly marked "118" - exactly the same as my 118 with windows.

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 5:05 pm

This is the stove for you, It is sized right, has four mica windows, will eat wood or coal and the price is right.

Get in your car...😜

https://albany.craigslist.org/atq/d/geneva-andes- ... 23648.html

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 6:36 pm

yep, if you are at all serious and anywhere near there that's a good stove and an even better deal.

good luck on your quest
steve

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Yeah, I'm seriously considering that stove. I'll look up some more about it. It's a hike for me, but if it's as good as he says, then it would be worth it. The ad says 95% complete, can you tell from the photo what is missing?

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Is this the same stove from the Craigslist ad?

Help With Information on This Geneva Andes Stove?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”