Another Glenwood Adoption Finalized!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Mon. Apr. 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks Pancho, I tried to get here sooner but!!! I have already addressed the ash pit door with some loose fitting homemade bushings( load door has a set too) and I did the hi-temp silicone thing. I had two spots that were not real tight and there were at the bottom just like you said, right where the two castings meet but Its tight now plus I didn't need to do It but I did the shaker door as well (it had a good seal already) but I'm not one to leave things alone :D .
IMG_1093.JPG
.JPG | 79.1KB | IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
.JPG | 67.7KB | IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
.JPG | 100.6KB | IMG_1094.JPG
I did get them to fit up better with the bushings but It still wasn't good enough for me( thats my anal retentiveness coming out ) so I siliconed the door edge and frame so we will see how long that will last!
Sunny Boy wrote:Or, you can use a feeler gauge and a piece of caulk to mark the tight spots along the door edges. Then file those high spots down so that the areas with gaps get tighter.

That'll bring the doors back to original fit without needing to glue a gasket on.

Paul
That was one of the things Skip told me to do but most of the door was good and that would have required me to file most of the door edge to get It fitted up so I will try this first to see how long It will last.

To be continued.

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Mon. Apr. 04, 2016 3:52 pm

I do wish they made a 700° black silicone so It wouldn't stand out so bad but you can only see It with the doors opend.
IMG_0509.JPG
.JPG | 115.3KB | IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
.JPG | 100.1KB | IMG_0508.JPG
I really don't think the door will get over 600° as I'm sure It stays somewhat cooler because of the air intake but I will keep tabs on the door and frame temp next season, If It stays under 600° then I will use the black next time.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Apr. 04, 2016 6:57 pm

After reading four pages of Baseburner Afterburner Homeboy Dialog,I'm still chuckling !

I aint seen Genuine Excitement like this since someone yelled: "Free Coal" ! :yes:

It's nice to see a pile of Guys melt right back to being a 7 yr old who just got his first Lionel Train Set !

Absolutely one helluva nice job gettin' your mitts on this one,Barry ! :dancing:

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Mon. Apr. 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:After reading four pages of Baseburner Afterburner Homeboy Dialog,I'm still chuckling !

I aint seen Genuine Excitement like this since someone yelled: "Free Coal" ! :yes:

It's nice to see a pile of Guys melt right back to being a 7 yr old who just got his first Lionel Train Set !

Absolutely one helluva nice job gettin' your mitts on this one,Barry ! :dancing:
Well when I was 7 I did get a Lionel train and That turned into a 20+ year hobby spending way to much $$$$$ on It so I hope history doesn't repeat Itself with this one or my wife will bop2 .

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Apr. 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Ehh,just learn to duck alot quicker ! :out:

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Fri. Apr. 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you Skip, I received my parts today and there awesome!! everything fits like a glove :)
IMG_0513.JPG
.JPG | 140.4KB | IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
.JPG | 117KB | IMG_0514.JPG
I am looking to add a magazine to the stove and since I missed out on the one time deal that dlj setup, I was thinking of making one out of a steel tube with a cast bell pinned to the bottom of the tube. I would add a ring to the top to of a 6.25 O/D -6.00 I/D tube and have a bell shape piece cast, bore the small end to accept the tube and pin it so I could change it if necessary.
After doing some weight calculations I may turn most of the tube(except the upper 1/2" and lower 1") from a .125 wall to .093 to keep the weight down, the original magazine was around 18#'s or so and with a .125 wall it would be around 30# but with a .093 wall it lowers it to 24#.
If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears or a spare cast magazine they are willing to part with :D ..

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Apr. 08, 2016 8:51 pm

is there a chance the foundry still has the molds from the group recast ? perhaps you can get one at a single run price ?

can't hurt to ask.

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Apr. 09, 2016 10:03 pm

KC, I didn't ask but I did read that shortly after that the form wasn't avalible anymore as the form was a original magazine donated from a great person. I redid the weight calculations on the tube and I can go 7.25 O/D and still keep the weight around 20 lbs, I'm sure I will make one as I like having the ability to go 24 + hrs without a reload.

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Ok friends of the black rock club I'm just about done with the install, I need to go over some things before the 1st light but with our temps around here I don't see It happening until the middle of next month.
I'm not sure on the stove sitting up high but It may not be so bad especially If I don't have to be on my knees while tending!
IMG_0954.jpg
.JPG | 129.1KB | IMG_0954.jpg
The gauge cluster( the thermo on the right is bad so I have a new on on order) I didn't like the way It looked before so I changed It.
IMG_0955.jpg
.JPG | 117.9KB | IMG_0955.jpg
and the tee with 2 MPD's, I will use the one closest to the stove as the primary and the one In the tee If I have trouble with excess draft( I just added It as a just in case )
IMG_0956.jpg
.JPG | 85.6KB | IMG_0956.jpg
I can't do anything about the close proximity of all the stuff but I'm sure It will work.
I can't wait to fire this stove up :dancing: but Mother Nature not on my side as of now :mad: . I will have more pics as soon as I can. :)

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 5:22 pm

awsome install :D

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 5:23 pm

I really wish I had your eye for detail, it looks great. The bushings look interesting too. This #8itis is a dreaded disease. Loved the red silicon idea and my thin gasket on the wings Best is coming out now, I am sure it will be fine, it does not get too hot down there. I want to install my #8, the trouble is even my humble Wings Best cooks me out. Perhaps this guy is right and the next ice age is coming, it's my only hope...

The only real weather man. No you Kenyan moron the science is not settled and you have cost us trillions.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 7:45 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:awsome install :D
indeed, +2

will be great to be in on all the data that install provides !!

steve

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 9:06 pm

Very nice installation ,the stove looks like new plus getting some good improvements on the air tightness side. The bushings :idea: is very good. Hope to see the blues soon in it.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Oct. 28, 2016 9:55 am

The stove looks awesome Barry! That stove is going to put out a lot of heat for you!

Randy

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 28, 2016 10:15 am

Never seen, except on here where people take some of the best built, best performing stoves & plain out just ruin the entire concept of what took yrs & yrs to design & build. If all that silliness is progress--keep it off my hill. :( Sorry guys, just been eatin at me. K, I'm hopin ya didn't ruin those LIONEL's?????????????????????? ;)
Last edited by freetown fred on Fri. Oct. 28, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”