UMCO No. 28

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Apr. 02, 2021 3:06 pm

gardener wrote:
Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 1:37 pm
Did this stove model have a dedicated shaker handle?

The handle of the grate is rounded over on the top two edges for releasing the grate pattern out of the sand.
I have tried using pliers without success. Going to try locking pliers once I remember where I put the two I have.
Have been thinking of cutting a washer to key to the end of the grate handle then weld a rod to the washer, sort of like this tool I saw on Woodman's parts
949744.jpg

Anyone have better ideas?

What do people normally do when they don't have a shaker handle (for whatever stove model)?

thanks
I've had luck searching eBay - even found handles that some of the stove shops didn't have.

But a handle socket like that should be easy to make by drilling a hole in some bar stock and then use a triangular file to shape the two 90 degree corners for a nice snug fit with maximum contact on the grate shaft.

The 6 point socket having less contact area and no 90 degree corners may eventually chew off those two grate shaft corners, then your sunk !

Paul

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Apr. 02, 2021 3:52 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Apr. 02, 2021 3:06 pm
I've had luck searching eBay - even found handles that some of the stove shops didn't have.
thanks I will keep an eye out there

Sunny Boy wrote:
The 6 point socket having less contact area and no 90 degree corners may eventually chew off those two grate shaft corners, then your sunk !
that is a concern I have

Sunny Boy wrote:
But a handle socket like that should be easy to make by drilling a hole in some bar stock and then use a triangular file to shape the two 90 degree corners for a nice snug fit with maximum contact on the grate shaft.
thanks Paul! I will give that a try

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Apr. 13, 2021 8:39 am

I initially thought the square cut out at the top of the lid lifter was supposed to serve as the shaker handle, which it does fit over the grate handle. The tip of the grate handle is ground down, looks like it was done on a machine. The lid lifter can be used to move the grate handle back and forth, but it will not catch on the end of the grate handle for tilting, but does make contact for tilting the grate if pushed further in against the stove, but there is a lot of play, and my hand then is next to the stove.

I guess I would have thought that the manufacturer would have made something with a tighter fit.
Rambling, sorry, be a while before I get around to making my own key.
UMCONo28_lidlifter.jpeg
.JPEG | 8.7KB | UMCONo28_lidlifter.jpeg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 13, 2021 11:06 am

Quite possibly that handle is not meant for that stove. Over the years, handles can get lost or broken and people pick up whatever replacement they can find.

The shaker handle that came with my range was not the special one Glenwood provides for the triangular coal grates. It's not just a triangular socket, it has a tab sticking out to limit rotation so that one set of flats for the triangular grates always stops facing up. Once I knew what it was supposed to be, after a year or so of looking, I found one on eBay. Then, while looking for original Glenwood handles for my 118's, I found a couple more of those specially shaped coal grate handles. Persistence pays off !!!

To add a bit of spice to the handle saga....... It turns out that the wrong shaker handle that came with my range is the right handle for one of Randy's (Photog2000) parlor stoves. So, now it's in the right home. :D

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sat. Apr. 17, 2021 6:36 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Apr. 13, 2021 11:06 am
Quite possibly that handle is not meant for that stove. Over the years, handles can get lost or broken and people pick up whatever replacement they can find.

The shaker handle that came with my range was not the special one Glenwood provides for the triangular coal grates. It's not just a triangular socket, it has a tab sticking out to limit rotation so that one set of flats for the triangular grates always stops facing up. Once I knew what it was supposed to be, after a year or so of looking, I found one on eBay. Then, while looking for original Glenwood handles for my 118's, I found a couple more of those specially shaped coal grate handles. Persistence pays off !!!

To add a bit of spice to the handle saga....... It turns out that the wrong shaker handle that came with my range is the right handle for one of Randy's (Photog2000) parlor stoves. So, now it's in the right home. :D

Paul
Actually, that is the handle that I even had nickeled to match the nickeling on my Andes 517 I restored. Thank you Sir!
Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Apr. 17, 2021 12:07 pm

Your very welcome, Randy. I'm glad to see it once again matched up to a stove it belongs with.

I know what it's like to finally find the correct parts that a stove works best with !!! ;)

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 10:11 pm

backside.jpg
.JPG | 35.5KB | backside.jpg
The backside of the lid lifter says "LEADER GLOBE".

I am seeing on the backside of the lid "28-29 LEADER GLOBE",
and on the backside of the ash door slide "28-212 LEADER GLOBE ASH DOOR SLIDE".

My guess the lid lifter is at least from the correct manufacturer, UMCO, Union Manufacturing COmpany.
imprint.jpg
.JPG | 34.9KB | imprint.jpg
Also on the backside of the lid lifter, toward the top are two character imprinted, but I cannot make them out.

I will keep an eye out an eye out on eBay for any, thank you, good suggestion.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 10:31 am

Looks like a number 11 cast into the end of the handle.

I wonder if the shape of the end of the grate bar might have been changed at sometime after it was made ? Does it look like it's always been the half-round shape or does the rounded part look like it was done after being cast ?

Square ended grate bars were so very common because they work well. Why yours would have a half round that only makes it weaker is a puzzle.

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 12:30 pm

A lot of 1890 or older stoves have round grate bars. With either 2,3 or 4 flats on them. Some still do into the teens era.
A round or chamfered corner is alot stronger than a square/sharp corner.

Them soup bowl shaped circle plates are pretty scarce in pot belly,railroad stoves. Most are lost or broken.

Them smaller more intricate casting have nipples/tits on them to remove from molds.
Most rusted away or broke off from rough handling. Especially mica retainers have/had them.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 12:37 pm

Which is it M???????? Big difference between nipples & tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 2:31 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 12:37 pm
Which is it M???????? Big difference between nipples & tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Which ever is handy.... :o

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 2:46 pm

GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Apr. 29, 2021 10:23 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 10:31 am
Looks like a number 11 cast into the end of the handle.

I wonder if the shape of the end of the grate bar might have been changed at sometime after it was made ?
Does it look like it's always been the half-round shape or does the rounded part look like it was done after being cast ?

Square ended grate bars were so very common because they work well. Why yours would have a half round that only makes it weaker is a puzzle.

Paul
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Sorry for my delay in responding.

Perhaps I over stated the rounding off, but the end of the handle does have some removed, though I don't know whether by the manufacturer or later by some owner.

Forum user "tsb" offered me his UMCO 28 to me, but it will probably be early summer before I get out that way.
I will have another grate to compare it to then.

I tried getting a good photo of the end of the handle with no luck. I am going to take the stove apart soon, should get a clear photo then, and especially of the underside that I cannot get the camera focused where it is rounded somewhat by a machine. It looks like the socket I have been using has round the top two corners a bit.
Resized_20210427_221106.jpeg
.JPEG | 92.5KB | Resized_20210427_221106.jpeg
Resized_20210427_221057.jpeg
.JPEG | 158.3KB | Resized_20210427_221057.jpeg

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jun. 04, 2021 9:17 am

I did not have the whole heating season to play with burning the UMCO 28, but with the time I had, using nut sized anthracite, it seems to need to be shaken every 2 hours to keep a steady burn. The longest overnight burn I had so far is 7.5 hours, and if I had more experience I think I could get 8.5 hours. To get an overnight burn the firepot temperature needed to between 450-550 degrees F at last tending, lower and it would lose the fire, higher and it would eventually choke on the ash build up.

The outside diameter of the grate is about 4.5",

Can a small potbelly like this achieve a longer overnight burn?
What if the spacing between the spokes of the grate were smaller to support smaller sized anthracite?

I thought to try loading smaller sized pieces on the fire before going to bed, but I only had two tries this season, so that may work.

Does the size of the grate impact the longevity of the fire?
ask this another way, if this were the same stove but larger, perhaps a 9" diameter grate, would it have the same burntimes with nut size anthracite?

David Winters

Post by David Winters » Sat. Oct. 29, 2022 3:46 pm

I'm looking for an Umco 28 wood burning stove. Please let me know if anyone out there has one for sale. Thankyou.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”