Home Stove Works #25 Base Burner Restoration

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 10:07 am

scalabro wrote:
Tue. Nov. 07, 2017 9:03 pm
Those are some awesome numbers for sure Paulie!
:o wow WAY better than i said it should be able to do.

nice work,
steve

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 12:23 pm

scalabro wrote:
Tue. Nov. 07, 2017 9:03 pm
Those are some awesome numbers for sure Paulie!

What's most impressive is the radiant heat that comes off the mica. From 10 feet away it feels like you're getting a sun tan. :oops:

I even borrowed my sons IR gun just to check it against mine. :D

Thinking your next project should be that mica Abendroth Globe stove. :lol:

Paulie

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 12:36 pm

It is! Almost ready for nickle....I need to cast a firepot and grate. It's tiny though about 40 inches high and is direct draft so just a toy not a workhorse :)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 4:28 pm

just for kicks when you have the cast on the stove body at about 663* what is the lowest temp on the elbow on the stove side of the wall.

i know it will be diff. due to proximity to the stove and the double heater pipe. i had that problem taking temps on a section of back pipe the first time i set up FRANK but, it will be cool to see just the same as ithink it will be lower than expected.

steve

Pauliewog wrote:
Tue. Nov. 07, 2017 8:03 pm
Getting the stove dialed in nice now with the cooler temps.
The Home Works #25 even with its little 12" firepot is holding its own and keeping the house a nice and comfortable 73*f with an oat of 33*f.

Stove temperature 663.6*f

Flue temp at thimble 88.3 *f

Double heater pipe 141.8*f

Paulie

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:26 am
+1.

Paul
Thanks Paul! I got a little busy the last few days getting ready for the artic blast. I got your pm and will get you that info tonight and thanks again :D

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:28 am
How can you not love antique base burner stoves with numbers like those................
Well if it wasn't for Sir William and awesome input from the members of this forum, I wouldn't have in my wildest dreams, guessed there was that much of a difference between a direct draft or even a stove with a back pipe! :o

The antique bb fever really took a strong hold on me. :D .......... And I'm glad it did.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:30 am
What are you getting for burn times and coal usage at those temps?
I shake it down about 4 am before I head to the shop and again when I get home anywhere from 5 to 8 pm.

There is usually a few inches left in the magazine by 6 pm but by 8 pm it's empty. I fill it in the morning and about 9 pm.

The weather has been in the low 50* during the day and in the 30*'s at night.

From the initial light off until today I burned 400 lbs . of bagged Susquehanna nut.

The average consumption worked out to be 1.8 lbs per hour over the last 9 days.

I'm sure tonight that will increase with the oat dipping into the teens.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 6:06 pm

scalabro wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 12:36 pm
It is! Almost ready for nickle....I need to cast a firepot and grate. It's tiny though about 40 inches high and is direct draft so just a toy not a workhorse :)
It may not be a workhorse, but I will bet you will be pleasantly suprised at the amount of IR heat that is radiated from that globe. :)

I missed out on 3 good possibilities and am working on a 4th now. I would love to put one in the center of the shop, just to be able to see that glow fill the room from all sides ! :D

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 6:26 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 4:28 pm
just for kicks when you have the cast on the stove body at about 663* what is the lowest temp on the elbow on the stove side of the wall.

i know it will be diff. due to proximity to the stove and the double heater pipe. i had that problem taking temps on a section of back pipe the first time i set up FRANK but, it will be cool to see just the same as ithink it will be lower than expected.

steve
Steve, I took some readings before I left for the shop this morning, but it was only about a half hour after I got it filled ,roaring an flipped it in bb mode.

As you know, after it goes thru the wall the flue continues about 8 feet thru the furnace room before it enters the chimney, where it is giving up heat also.

I was thinking of placing a piece of insulation around the double heater pipe and to take some more more accurate readings.

I do have insulation stuffed in the pipe above the barometric damper going to the stoker, so that I have better control with just the mpd.

Paulie

Attachments

20171109_100806.jpg
.JPG | 199.2KB | 20171109_100806.jpg
20171109_100845.jpg
.JPG | 129KB | 20171109_100845.jpg
20171109_101124.jpg
.JPG | 179.1KB | 20171109_101124.jpg

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 8:31 pm

there are many things at play most of them have to do with cross contributions. the 87* degrees at the chimney is still very much valid as the pipe is directly releasing it's heat into the living space till it gets there.

i have the same situation with FRANK. right now i have 139* at the exit of the base chamber, 2 feet up from that at the lower collar of the "T" coming out of the direct draft collar ( which is 100% closed off at the stove body right now ) i have 165* and at the elbow into the thimble 108*

now obviously if the back of the stove wasn't radiating onto the back pipe it wouldn't spike half way up and then come back down.

this is why i was working on a double heater shroud for this stove, to disperse some of that heat into the room rather than put it up the flue.

you have double advantage in that FRANK will never look anywhere near as good as the Home Stove Works #25

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 12:59 am

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 8:31 pm
there are many things at play most of them have to do with cross contributions. the 87* degrees at the chimney is still very much valid as the pipe is directly releasing it's heat into the living space till it gets there.

i have the same situation with FRANK. right now i have 139* at the exit of the base chamber, 2 feet up from that at the lower collar of the "T" coming out of the direct draft collar ( which is 100% closed off at the stove body right now ) i have 165* and at the elbow into the thimble 108*

now obviously if the back of the stove wasn't radiating onto the back pipe it wouldn't spike half way up and then come back down.

this is why i was working on a double heater shroud for this stove, to disperse some of that heat into the room rather than put it up the flue.

you have double advantage in that FRANK will never look anywhere near as good as the Home Stove Works #25
Fortunately, not only does my flue run thru the furnace room , the double heater pipe ducts into the room also along with the cold air return from the dining room and the man cave.

The day time oat has been mild so the flow upstairs is only gravity. In the evening as it cools off, and more heat is required upstairs, turning on the stoker blower draws additional heat off the flue pipe and up the double heater.

With the basement door open constantly........ (So I can look down at the bright glow as I walk past every 10 minutes or so :lol: )..... and the blower running, there is a noticeable difference in the stove temperatures on the left and right sides.

The cold air finds it easier to bypass the dining room and flow down the basement stairs. The right side of the stove sheds it's heat really well in the path of the cold air return. With the basement door closed the stairwell temp climbs to over 100* within an hour.

Like any new stove, it's a whole new learning curve as was found out today.

I didn't get home until after 9pm.and found 16 hours between shakedown is not in its range. Although the magazine was half full, the stove temp dropped to under 300*f and it took almost 45 minutes to bring it back up to 600*f.

Now you know we can always make up some nice nickel trim for Frank and dress up your flue pipe with some chrome Volvo Exhaust shields . :D ........ Or maybe a road trip to Cincinnati ..... Or the Glenwood 6 ? ...... Hmmmmmm...Options Options.....Options

If you come up with a revision or different idea for your double heater I can fab it up for you........

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 1:14 am

Here are some pics of the left and right side temp differences with basement door open .

Paulie

Attachments

20171109_235216.jpg
.JPG | 187.3KB | 20171109_235216.jpg
20171109_235122.jpg
.JPG | 208.7KB | 20171109_235122.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 8:47 am

" ..................I didn't get home until after 9pm.and found 16 hours between shakedown is not in its range. Although the magazine was half full, the stove temp dropped to under 300*f and it took almost 45 minutes to bring it back up to 600*f. .............."

Paulie,

What size coal ?

Paul

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 9:51 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 8:47 am

What size coal ?

Paul
Bagged Susquehanna nut. I was thinking of trying some stove but im not sure how it will spread out with the small firepot and magazine.

Paulie

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Beautiful. It is amazing that those stoves are so ingenious and beautiful at the same time. And still in use. Just amazing.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”