Home Stove Works #25 Base Burner Restoration

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 05, 2018 6:24 pm

Wow, that liner is clean. Doesn't even look used. :o

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. May. 08, 2018 1:52 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. May. 05, 2018 4:43 pm
awesome, and you made big heat for a long run this season.

i believe that style pot and grate system, as seen in many late highly developed base heater double heater designs, to be the apex of the design engineering.

as we know some of the larger stoves had the clam shell duplex grates, outer shaker ring AND a 2 piece pot with the lower section revolving for full de-ashing of the pot wall from top to bottom.

unfortunately soon after that many of the makers started going a bit backwards.
Yes, I had my doubts this heating season would ever end. The stove ran 24/7 exactly 6 months without an outfire.

Unfortunately with all of the projects going on I didn't track my actual coal consumption this year. I used a combination of bulk nut and stove, bagged nut, the leftover nut/ pea combination from the old shop and a few buckets of rice and fines on those really warm days.

Next to the triangular grates on the Glenwoods, the ring and duplex clamshell combination is definitely my choice. :D

Paulie

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. May. 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. May. 05, 2018 6:24 pm
Wow, that liner is clean. Doesn't even look used. :o

Paul
I'm really leaning towards the brand of coal as the main culprit for the clinker buildup. There were only maybe a dozen or so times this season that I poked a hole or two from the top down to the grates to give it a little more air.

This was only necessary when I exceeded 16 or 18 hours between tending and had a large amount of ash. Rather than shake it down hard, I just gave it a small shake, just enough to drop an inch or two of coal on top from the magazine. Shaking it down too much only disturbs and breaks up the small burning bed and increases the chances of losing the fire.

I never attempted to scrape the sides of the firepot, mainly because the bed would fall on its own just from the weight of the coal from the magazine.

Other than the pink color of the refractory, your right.......... It looks like the day I put it in ! After I shook it down the only thing I did before taking the pictures was give it a few swipes with an old chip brush. There were weeks where it ran at 600* F and weeks at 200*F using a mixture of stove, nut, pea, and rice depending on the OAT's.

I'm extremely happy with its performance this season, and look forward to many more.

I already miss the warm glow and as soon as I clean it up, plan to put a light bulb inside to mimic the glow and keep the moisture out for the summer. :D

Paulie

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. May. 09, 2018 9:47 am

I'm leaning that way, too.

That's based on the bridging I was getting after each 12 hour run,... the large amount of clinkers with lots of bits of fused iron in the ash,.... and the clinker/iron scale that is starting to fuse to the new Rutland castable firebricks of my #6 after just three months running.

I found that if I just poked the firebed in the middle, the sides still held, the center dropped too much fire, and the fresh coal poured out of the magazine into that hole with no firebed under it.

I figured out that it was better to do all the firebed poking gently around the outer edge of the bed. Then the firebed would all drop as one piece and not produce a hole for fresh coal to pour through to the grates.

Paul

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. May. 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. May. 09, 2018 9:47 am
I'm leaning that way, too.

That's based on the bridging I was getting after each 12 hour run,... the large amount of clinkers with lots of bits of fused iron in the ash,.... and the clinker/iron scale that is starting to fuse to the new Rutland castable firebricks of my #6 after just three months running.

I found that if I just poked the firebed in the middle, the sides still held, the center dropped too much fire, and the fresh coal poured out of the magazine into that hole with no firebed under it.

I figured out that it was better to do all the firebed poking gently around the outer edge of the bed. Then the firebed would all drop as one piece and not produce a hole for fresh coal to pour through to the grates.

Paul
Hmmmmm...... Based on your observations I'm thinking it's either the coal or mine having a suspended firepot. I had no issues at all with bridging. On a quiet day or evening it seemed like every ten minutes or so we would hear the sound a few pieces of coal falling from the magazine onto the bed.

I never had to poke the bed down, as it would fall on its own with the weight of the coal in the magazine.

I really missed the nice glow this past week and had to do something about it. :D

I found a small piece of Plexiglas in the garage and cut a circle out of it. Got out a drop cord, glue gun, and yellow bug light, coal hod and went to work .

Fished the cord down the flue, and out the bb damper and put the bulb down on the grates.

Placed the plexiglass on top of the firepot and hot glued some pieces of nut coal to the plexiglass.

In the room behind the stove I have an outlet that is on the basement light switch. Plugged it in............ and my nice warm glow is back for the summer. :D

Paulie

Attachments

Screenshot_2018-05-09-16-46-46.png
.PNG | 2.7MB | Screenshot_2018-05-09-16-46-46.png
Screenshot_2018-05-09-16-46-55.png
.PNG | 3MB | Screenshot_2018-05-09-16-46-55.png
Screenshot_2018-05-09-16-46-51.png
.PNG | 3.2MB | Screenshot_2018-05-09-16-46-51.png

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. May. 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Really nice job with the light setup !!!!!

We can hear the occasional scraping of coal moving down in the #6 mag, too. But after about 10-12 hours the mag is close to empty (less vertical pressure on the center of the firebed). Even if I top off the mag that's about how long it takes for the bridging to be noticeable. If I shake ashes about every 4-5 hours, no bridging at all.

Two of the last days that I ran the #6, I had I just used the Tractor Supply bagged nut. Might be coincidence, but it did not bridge after 12 hours like it does with the bulk nut.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. May. 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Paulie, you are one smart fella. that is real nice.

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. May. 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. May. 09, 2018 6:23 pm
Really nice job with the light setup !!!!!

We can hear the occasional scraping of coal moving down in the #6 mag, too. But after about 10-12 hours the mag is close to empty (less vertical pressure on the center of the firebed). Even if I top off the mag that's about how long it takes for the bridging to be noticeable. If I shake ashes about every 4-5 hours, no bridging at all.

Two of the last days that I ran the #6, I had I just used the Tractor Supply bagged nut. Might be coincidence, but it did not bridge after 12 hours like it does with the bulk nut.

Paul
Thanks Paul, the color of the bug light bulb is actually really close to a real coal fire in fact it fooled my daughter when she walked by the basement doorway.

I wonder if its worthwhile starting a thread on bridging problems to see if we can narrow it down to a certain brand of coal or type of firepot?

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. May. 10, 2018 11:29 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. May. 10, 2018 6:47 pm
Paulie, you are one smart fella. that is real nice.
Not smart Steve ......thinking more like resourceful :lol:

I liked it so much, I did the same thing today to the Fame Rosemont in the living room. :D Also added a flicker bulb to that one

Paulie

Attachments

Screenshot_2018-05-10-23-14-21.png
.PNG | 3.1MB | Screenshot_2018-05-10-23-14-21.png

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 1:54 pm

The stove has been idling along on straight pea coal for the past few weeks wit an average surface temperature of 200* f.

Tomorrow oat's are expected to drop into the single digits so I topped off the magazine with some nut coal and cracked open the primary.

The nut coal should filter down sometime this evening and by tomorrow night I'll throttle her up a notch just in time for the cold blast.

It's been burning a little less than a pound per hour with the primary closed, and in the 5 minutes since I cracked it open a sliver it's already coming back to life. :D

Paulie

Attachments

20181120_233649.jpg
.JPG | 233.4KB | 20181120_233649.jpg

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Double post

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Love these nights when the OAT's plummet below -0 and the only light in the man cave is the glow of the stove. :)

Paulie

Attachments

20220123_193147.jpg
.JPG | 199KB | 20220123_193147.jpg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 7:38 pm

Wow!!! That looks amazing, Paulie.

Smashed the picture to make it full screen on my phone and it lit up my entire room. :lol:

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 8:01 pm

I shut bedroom door half way. Can't sleep with the "lights on" in the living room all night long....lol

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 9:50 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 7:35 pm
Love these nights when the OAT's plummet below -0 and the only light in the man cave is the glow of the stove. :)

Paulie
and THAT is the “ light” you never come back from right there
Man I need one of those

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”