Home Stove Works #25 Base Burner Restoration

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 1:32 am

The stove has been performing well above my expectations and is still burning bright on its initial lightup on Nov 1st.

My original plan was to use it only in the shoulder months. When the outside temps dropped to a point where it wouldn't keep up I dropped it down to an idle and lit up the stoker to pick up the slack.

They seem to harmonize well and continue to stroke along keeping us nice and toasty.

With the exception of the few weeks the oat's were in the single digits or below its been on a steady diet of nut coal. The combination of nut and stove worked well in the single digit temps, and on the unusual days the oat's were in the 60's and 70's I calmed it down by
dumping 5 pounds or so of rice in the magazine and doing a slight shake and floss once a day rather than every 12 to 14 hours.

It rarely takes five minutes to bring it up to blazing inferno from an almost dead fire, and about the same amount of time to calm it back down to where it looks like the fire is out.

So far my longest burn without refueling or shakdown was 21 hours and that was this week when the oat went up to 73*

Been busy the past few weeks on projects around the house and hope to catch up on some of the threads here.

I originally wanted to pour a metallic epoxy floor in the Man Cave but with everything there was to move out of the way decided on a vinyl parquet floor. That enabled me to remain in the one match club by jacking up the bb to install the floor under it rather than lose the fire. :D

All thats left is to finish the Man Cave kitchen area, a penny pad under the bb, the glass in the greenhouse, a few more mouldings and the project will be complete.

Paulie

Attachments

20180224_002723.jpg
.JPG | 231.9KB | 20180224_002723.jpg
Screenshot_2018-02-24-01-30-50.png
.PNG | 3MB | Screenshot_2018-02-24-01-30-50.png

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 5:15 am

Looks nice and cozy in there. Might want to ask the fish what they think?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:15 am

WOW, that is very nice.

so, does all this feverish work all winter mean you're going to slack off this summer ? go fishin', take a trip ?

just sit in the greenhouse and watch the light change ?

that set up would be calling major down time to me :D

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:42 am

Nice job Pauliewog I like It :yes: , but how do you keep the water temp down in the fish tank? My tank was always hot and It was 25' away from the stove.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 7:40 am

Maybe he likes poached fish ? :D

Real nice work ! Room looks as fantastic as the stove, Paulie.

Paul

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:34 am

mntbugy wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 5:15 am
Looks nice and cozy in there. Might want to ask the fish what they think?
Cozy it is .... I find myself spending a lot more time down here lately relaxing rather than working.

I think the fish are looking forward to a nice cool summer. :D

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:59 am

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:15 am
WOW, that is very nice.

so, does all this feverish work all winter mean you're going to slack off this summer ? go fishin', take a trip ?

just sit in the greenhouse and watch the light change ?

that set up would be calling major down time to me :D
Thanks Steve, I don't know about slacking off this summer, only put a small dent in my Honey-Do list.
Was actually thinking of going back to work full time to get a little break. :lol:

Carol asked if I was going to put a hot tub in the greenhouse ...... Hmmmm :o ....... Now that's a thought, just have to figure out where to put the chimney ! :lol:

Bonnie and Johns kitchen / bathroom/ laundry room remodeling project is still not completed so we still have a full house. It looks like another three or four more weeks before we can take off for a little road trip.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 12:23 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:42 am
Nice job Pauliewog I like It :yes: , but how do you keep the water temp down in the fish tank? My tank was always hot and It was 25' away from the stove.
Thanks Barry for the kind words ! With the size of the room and the radiant heat off the mica, there wasn't a spot in the room where the water was a safe temperature for the average breed of tropical fish. When the oat's dropped into the single digits and below the aquarium water would get up to 85*

I thought about piping in some outside air, boxing in a small coil, and essentialy building a small chiller but decided on a more partial approach to the problem.

I went with a low maintenance variety of heat resistant silicone clownfish that I found on Amazon. :lol:
Problem solved ......They look realistic......and no worries about feeding them if we go away on vacation !

Paulie

Attachments

20180220_162930.jpg
.JPG | 328.6KB | 20180220_162930.jpg

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 7:40 am
Maybe he likes poached fish ? :D

Real nice work ! Room looks as fantastic as the stove, Paulie.

Paul
Thanks Paul ! I can't wait to get the kitchen area and range installed. Carol thinks I should install cameras down her so she can video conference me once and a while. :lol:

Even the silicone fish tend to face away from the stove when it's roaring. The bubbles in the picture are from the filter running ...... It's not quite boiling. :lol:

Oh yeah ......These fish are a fresh water variety ....... and keeping the aquarium close to the stove insures the water is fresh. When the stove is cranking I have to add a quart or more to my aquarium / humidifier a day. :D

Paulie

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 1:06 pm

oh yes !! an open system water feature in the greenhouse, automated humidity for the plants, and the house during the winter.

put it in the middle with the plants on risers all around, side bench with mini fridge under for beverages, the add on list is limitless...................

better find some more stoves to sell this is going to require $$$

Haha, back to work so you can get a break and I'm wanting to quit so i can DO things.....the grass is always greener.....

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 12:23 pm
Thanks Barry for the kind words ! With the size of the room and the radiant heat off the mica, there wasn't a spot in the room where the water was a safe temperature for the average breed of tropical fish. When the oat's dropped into the single digits and below the aquarium water would get up to 85*

I thought about piping in some outside air, boxing in a small coil, and essentialy building a small chiller but decided on a more partial approach to the problem.

I went with a low maintenance variety of heat resistant silicone clownfish that I found on Amazon. :lol:
Problem solved ......They look realistic......and no worries about feeding them if we go away on vacation !

Paulie
Remember Paul my daughter offerd to come feed them if you ever need to go away!! :D

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 2:51 am

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 1:06 pm
oh yes !! an open system water feature in the greenhouse, automated humidity for the plants, and the house during the winter.

put it in the middle with the plants on risers all around, side bench with mini fridge under for beverages, the add on list is limitless...................

better find some more stoves to sell this is going to require $$$

Haha, back to work so you can get a break and I'm wanting to quit so i can DO things.....the grass is always greener.....
It's a toss up between the hot tub or a vertical fish tank for the open water feature.

A few months ago I found a 7 foot long 40 inch diameter clear pressure rated acrylic tube for sale on Craigslist. My thought was to pick it up and use it as a stove display case. The price was right so I contacted the owner who mentioned he had a machine available to load it in my truck.

Hmmmmmm Machine I thought ?....... So I asked.... Whats it weigh?
and he replied..... Bout 600 lbs. Now you know I'm not one to skimp on sizing for materials, but thought .....This might be an overkill even for me. I told him I would have to think it over and get back to him.

I thought about it on and off over the last few months and decided to call him today to see if he still had it. Unfortunately he already sold it for use as an aquarium, but thinks he may be able to get another one at work and will get back to me Monday. Soooooo I'm thinking something like this but much bigger. :D
Screenshot_2018-02-24-14-32-46-1.png
.PNG | 1.2MB | Screenshot_2018-02-24-14-32-46-1.png
Definitely going with the plants on risers so may as well raise some koi for the pond and set up an aquaponics feeding system for the plants.

Looking back....... When I was working 7 days 12 to 14 hour shifts, I had a half dozen or more people helping me, so I actually had more time to myself. Now that I'm retired......... It's pretty much just me. :)
Yes my friend, sometimes that grass is a bit greener on the other side :lol:

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 3:00 am

philthy wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:01 pm
Remember Paul my daughter offerd to come feed them if you ever need to go away!! :D
I was laughing when I put the other two fish in there and almost called you.

Better check with her and see if the offer still stands.......because now there are two more mouths to feed. :lol:

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. May. 05, 2018 11:05 am

The weather finally warmed up a so I shut down the stove on Monday and cleaned it out.

Was pleasantly suprised to find the firepot refractory free from any clinker buildup. :D

I miss it's warm glow already :cry:

Paulie

Attachments

20180501_111820.jpg
.JPG | 268.2KB | 20180501_111820.jpg
20180501_111638.jpg
.JPG | 273.7KB | 20180501_111638.jpg

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. May. 05, 2018 4:43 pm

awesome, and you made big heat for a long run this season.

i believe that style pot and grate system, as seen in many late highly developed base heater double heater designs, to be the apex of the design engineering.

as we know some of the larger stoves had the clam shell duplex grates, outer shaker ring AND a 2 piece pot with the lower section revolving for full de-ashing of the pot wall from top to bottom.

unfortunately soon after that many of the makers started going a bit backwards.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”