Bell Summit Oldie

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 8:13 pm

A forum search for Bell Summit turned up nothing so thought I would ask if anyone has knowledge of this stove. Seems to be high level of interest in the old stoves so I find myself looking around for them. This one I saw on craigs list. I think on the side of the door it says Troy (NY??)

Attachments

bell summit.jpg
.JPG | 14.1KB | bell summit.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 9:37 pm

The company is, "Summit Foundry" of Troy, NY

Bottom of this page on the left is a picture of a restored Summit oak stove.
http://www.gingercreekstoves.com/

Seems there's a company with the same name in Geneva NY, too. It's mentioned on the forth page here.
http://genevahistoricalsociety.com/wp-content/upl ... geneva.pdf

There's some wonderful pictures and history at that link for anyone interested in antique stoves and how they were made.

Paul

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Check that stove over good.

I remember that stove, and I can't see where I posted it on the 'craigslist site' here on the forum. There was a reason I didn't.

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Wow! Pricey aint they! I suppose the time and labor to bring one back to new can be justified. Just the same I would like to have a go at one of the old buggers providing it is a base burner. I am a retired machinist so should not be at a total loss of understanding how to go about restoring an old stove. I think the availability of a good foundry would almost be a necessity and they are few and far between these days. That aside I confess to a growing interest.

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 11:56 pm

SWPaDon wrote:Check that stove over good.

I remember that stove, and I can't see where I posted it on the 'craigslist site' here on the forum. There was a reason I didn't.
I have'nt questioned the seller and probably will not. I am just testing the water so to speak at present. Not really ready to commit to anything. I need to learn much more about the old stoves before I lay hands on one.
Chances are good it may have some fatal flaw that you recognised or possibly a missing part that's next to impossible to duplicate. I do like the looks of it, seems to literally reek of victorian granduer :D

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jun. 07, 2015 12:03 am

deepwoods wrote:
SWPaDon wrote:Check that stove over good.

I have'nt questioned the seller and probably will not. I am just testing the water so to speak at present. Not really ready to commit to anything. I need to learn much more about the old stoves before I lay hands on one.
Chances are good it may have some fatal flaw that you recognised or possibly a missing part that's next to impossible to duplicate. I do like the looks of it, seems to literally reek of victorian granduer :D
Just be careful, I don't want to see you get burnt. There have been a few , that I've posted here, that others have found major flaws in later.

It's rare that I pass up posting an old parlor stove, ( because I've found that there are parts available, even from a different maker) but If I do.............I saw something in the pics that I didn't like.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Jun. 07, 2015 11:26 am

deepwoods wrote:A forum search for Bell Summit turned up nothing so thought I would ask if anyone has knowledge of this stove. Seems to be high level of interest in the old stoves so I find myself looking around for them. This one I saw on craigs list. I think on the side of the door it says Troy (NY??)
If this is the same ad you saw this stove in, it is not too far from me. I do not believe it is a base burner though, it looks to be a oak style stove.
**Broken Link(S) Removed**
Randy

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I think this stove has resurfaced. The fella is asking $300 and sent me several pics and looks to be in pretty good shape. Has anyone physically seen this stove and if so what are your thoughts on condition? Also, what exactly is this stove? Im assuming an oak type stove but being honest my knowledge on antique stove is not that great. This may not be the same as the op's but what's the chances of two identical stoves from the same location. . .

Thanks!

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 1:56 pm

philthy wrote:I think this stove has resurfaced. The fella is asking $300 and sent me several pics and looks to be in pretty good shape. Has anyone physically seen this stove and if so what are your thoughts on condition? Also, what exactly is this stove? Im assuming an oak type stove but being honest my knowledge on antique stove is not that great. This may not be the same as the op's but what's the chances of two identical stoves from the same location. . .

Thanks!

Yes, it's an oak style stove. The flue pipe comes out the top and goes to the chimey. The grates are the best at clearing coal ash, as they will grind up small soft clinkers. Barrels can be replaced, so that's not a deal breaker if it has holes in it. They are typically made of something like 22 guage sheet steel and rolled to form.

Check the firepot for cracks, and there again, a crack isn't a deal breaker either as some cracks can be repaired and a liner can be installed.

Other casting cracks, of there are any, could be an issue, but one doesn't really know until it is checked over thoroughly.

For 300 bucks, it's potentially a good stove for heat. Bling is pretty, but won't heat a house.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 2:07 pm

The grates are the triangular type. Very good at grinding and dumping clinkers while in the crumbly stage, before that can get hard and cause problems.

I can see fairly crisp edges and part numbers on the grate bars making me think this is a low-mileage, never abused stove. Or, the grates were replaced at some later date. But the grates, which are the heart of any coal stove, look like they are in very good condition.

Paul

philthy

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 2:16 pm

I was thinking the grates looked really good myself. Am I correct in thinking it's missing the foot rest on both sides and how hard would they be to source?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 2:17 pm

philthy wrote:I was thinking the grates looked really good myself. Am I correct in thinking it's missing the foot rest on both sides and how hard would they be to source?
I don't think that syle of stove had side footrests, just the front.

EDIT: I blew the picture up, that is supposed to have footrests on the side, the hole to hold it can be seen. They would be very hard to find. But could be recast, if the front one fits the side slots.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Go with cash and offer $150. Looks like a wide fire pot. Replace the barrel with a 36 inch long one and you'll have a heat monster.

philthy

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 4:08 pm

SWPaDon wrote:
philthy wrote:I was thinking the grates looked really good myself. Am I correct in thinking it's missing the foot rest on both sides and how hard would they be to source?
I don't think that syle of stove had side footrests, just the front.

EDIT: I blew the picture up, that is supposed to have footrests on the side, the hole to hold it can be seen. They would be very hard to find. But could be recast, if the front one fits the side slots.
I was thinking that looked like a spot where the footrest would've been attached. Spoke with the seller and he doesn't have the others. Educate me if you will. . . You said about having them recast. I thought these parts would've been a stamped metal. Ive never actually saw one; are they in fact made of cast steel?

philthy

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 4:13 pm

scalabro wrote:Go with cash and offer $150. Looks like a wide fire pot. Replace the barrel with a 36 inch long one and you'll have a heat monster.
I like the way you think. Although my intent is a possible resale and practice - wouldn't mind getting into this as a hobby. If I do keep it, it would be for a room about 25' x 25' so the size would be adequate I believe.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”