Bell Summit Oldie

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 4:29 pm

philthy wrote: I was thinking that looked like a spot where the footrest would've been attached. Spoke with the seller and he doesn't have the others. Educate me if you will. . . You said about having them recast. I thought these parts would've been a stamped metal. Ive never actually saw one; are they in fact made of cast steel?
I don't think this stove has foot rests, if so they are missing. But it is missing both side heat deflectors (maybe what you are calling foot rests?). These parts were usually made from cast iron (not cast steel) and the front heat deflector that is in place is cast iron. So the side deflectors would have been also. I've not seen the middle heat deflector to work on the sides, so I think using that as a pattern for the sides might not work. It's easy enough to check, go look at the stove, take that part off and see if it fits on the sides.... The grates do look quite good. There are no pictures of the right side of the stove. You'd have to look it over and see if the barrel is rotted out. You should also look on the inside where the barrel meets the cast bottom to see if it is rotted out along that line also. I think you'd have to go through that stove pretty completely to restore it. Especially looks like the panel where the shaker attaches needs to be re-set or you'd have a lot of under fire air leak...

dj

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 4:57 pm

philthy wrote:Educate me if you will. . . You said about having them recast. I thought these parts would've been a stamped metal. Ive never actually saw one; are they in fact made of cast steel?
Those footrests should be made of cast iron. If the front one fits the sides, you could have new ones cast at Tomahawk Foundry. Theres several on here that say that they are very good.

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 5:02 pm

dlj wrote:
philthy wrote: I was thinking that looked like a spot where the footrest would've been attached. Spoke with the seller and he doesn't have the others. Educate me if you will. . . You said about having them recast. I thought these parts would've been a stamped metal. Ive never actually saw one; are they in fact made of cast steel?
I don't think this stove has foot rests, if so they are missing. But it is missing both side heat deflectors (maybe what you are calling foot rests?). These parts were usually made from cast iron (not cast steel) and the front heat deflector that is in place is cast iron. So the side deflectors would have been also. I've not seen the middle heat deflector to work on the sides, so I think using that as a pattern for the sides might not work. It's easy enough to check, go look at the stove, take that part off and see if it fits on the sides.... The grates do look quite good. There are no pictures of the right side of the stove. You'd have to look it over and see if the barrel is rotted out. You should also look on the inside where the barrel meets the cast bottom to see if it is rotted out along that line also. I think you'd have to go through that stove pretty completely to restore it. Especially looks like the panel where the shaker attaches needs to be re-set or you'd have a lot of under fire air leak...

dj
Heat deflector I guess is what I was calling a footrest. Cast iron not cast steel - got confused on the terminology. I was once a fabricator in a former life so I think I could handle the job for the most part. Have access to a plater but have do do some checking for a foundry. Just looking to get in this process and picking you guys brains before I get started.

Heading up to Watertown first week in Feb to help my brother install a pellet stove (yeah I know but he got it for free) and figured I'd check it out. Looks like a good starter to get an appreciation for what all is involved.

Edit: In picture 6 of 8 I see what you mean about that needing reset.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”