Give up on Potbelly?

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jan. 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Here ! To prove to you they are out there
**Broken Link(S) Removed**

That's a 100lb warm morning coal stove . $100 ain't nothing these days . They still sell grates for these stoves I bought an extra for mine . If you don't like it pass it on to the next guy or gal for $100 or make a profit . That's in a lot better shape than what I started out with .

Here are some things to read
WV Bit Vs. PA Blaschak Anthracite in a WM Stove

The Pearl Cannon Heater Test Drive

Warm Morning Stoves

Warm Morning 414A Problems With Anthracite?

There is more but I'm now tired of copying and pasting lol. That's the good with the bad . You really can't compare a cheap modern "pot belly" with some of these other stoves . A WM will surely be a step up but there is always the new route to. What does your husband want out of the stove? What do you want out of the stove? Make a list of what you do and don't want .

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 01, 2015 8:58 pm

amamdabstewart wrote:There is a Brunco spitfire for sale locally. Wood/coal. Thoughts? I should add that hubby is a fire USER not super willing to tinker with something unusual at this point. Not sure I can convince him on. WM...they are $ 350 to 750 here.
I sooo regret this potbelly. :-( thought I could master it. I guess I DID, just not the stove for my application
Brunco Spitfire would Not be a good Anthracite stove, Bit coal not bad, wood not bad...it's a combo stove.
Brunco_Wood_Stove.pdf
.PDF | 951.6KB | Brunco_Wood_Stove.pdf

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Jan. 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Sounds like you haven't decided whether or not you want a coal stove or a wood stove.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Jan. 01, 2015 11:45 pm

I think you will find the stoves that are cheap and plentiful are those that work with the local coal supply.

amamdabstewart
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco Spitfire
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US stove hotblast
Coal Size/Type: nut bit and anthracite
Other Heating: misc small cast iron stoves

Post by amamdabstewart » Fri. Jan. 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Well, I went to see the Brunco today. I read the manual and every NEPA post about them before going.

The guy wanted so little compared to what it cost, it was worth a shot. It looks almost new...apparently used very little. Guy was trying to heat a large split level from his basement. Needless to say, the stove wasn't designed for that duty. He said he was simply giving up on wood/ coal heating.

I brought it home, removed two stoves from the living room (potbelly plus the very temporary mini cookstove I hooked up for a day), unloaded the Brunco with the tractor...it is extremely heavy for its size!
Got it hooked up and fired up while hubby was away hunting today. He was in shock to see what I had been up to :-) He really couldn't believe it and said "Wow" about 10 times. I can rarely pull of surprises for him, so this was awesome.

It is running fantastic on wood (to start) followed by switch over to bit. Raised the house temp 10 degrees very quickly! Already we are 12° warmer and still climbing. It's not an antique, but its appearance is winning me over. It has been running almost 3 hours with no major help other than a poke once about 2 hours in.

SO, I'm out of the doghouse....for now.

amamdabstewart

Post by amamdabstewart » Fri. Jan. 02, 2015 9:35 pm

I should have added that I greatly appreciate all of the input I received! Thanks!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Jan. 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Humm hum, pictures please...it's all we got :(

amamdabstewart

Post by amamdabstewart » Sat. Jan. 03, 2015 9:25 am

Attached is a not-so-great photo of my new gal. The tiles underneath are temporary...need longer pipe!
It burned 14 hours on one full hod plus a few logs to get fire established prior to bit coal. Woke up (late!), added a small piece of wood because the coal bucket is empty and I'm too lazy to go get more. The only maintenance was a moderate poking at 4 am which it probably didn't need.

We are still warm :-)

It is so easy that I think we will keep a look out for one for my 75 year old mom-in-law. She burns coal in a small furnace, but I think one of these upstairs in place of a catalytic type insert for wood would be helpful. She never uses the insert...not enough wood and coal is easier for her.
Hubby's new comment "so you KNEW there were stoves out there like this??????"
Funny how he says he would have dropped $2k on one NOW. No way he would have shelled that out! Now that I've won a major battle...really want to modify the junky furnace downstairs and I think Brunco is on my list when that furnace needs replaced.

So...I only have straight pipe now...no damper. Should I do regular damper below a barometric one? Or leave as is???
Thanks
Amanda in WV

Yippee! Warm WITH sleep!

Attachments

20150103_090947.jpg
.JPG | 94.9KB | 20150103_090947.jpg

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Jan. 03, 2015 10:06 am

amamdabstewart wrote:Attached is a not-so-great photo of my new gal. The tiles underneath are temporary...need longer pipe!
It burned 14 hours on one full hod plus a few logs to get fire established prior to bit coal. Woke up (late!), added a small piece of wood because the coal bucket is empty and I'm too lazy to go get more. The only maintenance was a moderate poking at 4 am which it probably didn't need.

We are still warm :-)

It is so easy that I think we will keep a look out for one for my 75 year old mom-in-law. She burns coal in a small furnace, but I think one of these upstairs in place of a catalytic type insert for wood would be helpful. She never uses the insert...not enough wood and coal is easier for her.
Hubby's new comment "so you KNEW there were stoves out there like this??????"
Funny how he says he would have dropped $2k on one NOW. No way he would have shelled that out! Now that I've won a major battle...really want to modify the junky furnace downstairs and I think Brunco is on my list when that furnace needs replaced.

So...I only have straight pipe now...no damper. Should I do regular damper below a barometric one? Or leave as is???
Thanks
Amanda in WV

Yippee! Warm WITH sleep!
And just think that's just a "ok" stove to burn in from some peoples experience . Just think of the ones that burn coal even better !

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 03, 2015 10:15 am

Yeah, with 60 or 100 lbs of good bit coal loaded in a Warm Morning it will get you a couple days heat with a poke and a shake.

amamdabstewart

Post by amamdabstewart » Sat. Jan. 03, 2015 10:42 am

If I run across a cheap Wm I may give it a try at some point. However, with this being on my 2nd floor...not sure that a 100 lb coal load would be a good idea added to the weight of the stove.

I never get good deals. Finding the Brunco was a blessing!

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 03, 2015 10:55 am

Yes, I understand. :)

Being happy and warm is a Blessing in itself. ;)

Bm75
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence hot blast model 75

Post by Bm75 » Wed. Feb. 21, 2018 10:58 pm

I have a Florence hot blast model 75 the stove is perfect but the grate is broken was dropped .. where can I get a replacement???

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 3:56 am

Bm75 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 21, 2018 10:58 pm
I have a Florence hot blast model 75 the stove is perfect but the grate is broken was dropped .. where can I get a replacement???

Welcome, Bm75

You can send the broken pieces of the grate to Tomahawk Foundry, in Wisconsin and they can use it as the pattern to recast a new grate. They do a lot of that type work for many of us on this website.

http://www.tomahawkfoundry.com/

Or, possibly Woodman's Parts in New Hampshire has a new grate that will fit?
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/

Paul

WIburnerPaul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King Oak 19B
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Harman Absolute43 wood pellet. Lamppa Kuuma Vapor-Fire 200 gasification wood furnace.

Post by WIburnerPaul » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 12:43 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Jan. 01, 2015 5:38 pm
You don't use a draw grate to dump and clear ash.

The draw grate is to dump clinkers, if they should start to build up and start to prevent ash dropping through the grate during shaking. Sometimes just shaking isn't enough mechanical action to break up the clinkers.

The triangular grates do similar by rotating and grinding the clinkers with the triangular shaped teeth. But, you only rotate them maybe once, or twice a day - first thing in the morning and maybe again before bed time. The rest of the time you just shake them with short, choppy shakes of the handle.

Paul
I have a “draw gate” round grate in my King Oak 19B. (I wish I could figure out how to post a picture when doing a reply). Since only the center moves front to back, shaking must be done with short strokes; not fully open? I wish there was a video showing ash management on a potbelly/cannon stove, with that style grate. At 6’6” tall at 69yo, getting on the floor is not desirable. Does any senior put a mirror on the floor to accomplish flossing? Suggests welcome to enjoy heating with this stove. If successful I’ll consider a Penn or Chubby later.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”