Glenwood Oak VS Modern Oak

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Dec. 25, 2014 9:31 pm

I was just wondering what the difference is between the Oak stove and the Modern Oak? Is it just styling? Do they both have the back pipe?

Thanks

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 26, 2014 9:11 am

ASea wrote:I was just wondering what the difference is between the Oak stove and the Modern Oak? Is it just styling? Do they both have the back pipe?

Thanks
Basically yes, simpler styling. The other main difference is the Modern Oaks typically have a secondary air rotary damper on the loading door called a "gas burner". It's said to do a better job of dispersing the incoming air more evenly than a slide damper like the earlier Oaks have.

Some early Modern Oaks didn't have the gas burner, or the mica windows in the door. One of my 118's is like that.

And yes, the back pipe was an option for both.

First pictures is the loading door of a typical 118 Modern Oak door with the gas burner secondary. The "burner" was just another casting on the inside of the door's rotary damper with many small holes in it to spread the incoming air out over a larger area.

The second picture is the early 118 door without the gas burner type secondary damper, or mica windows. And, it has a positive locking door handle like the ash pan, instead of the gravity ramp and lift-handle of the typical Modern Oaks. Makes for much better loading door sealing. This 118 also has an early style Oak finial.

Paul

Attachments

glenwood 118 mod oak, door1.JPG
.JPG | 193.5KB | glenwood 118 mod oak, door1.JPG
DSCN4602.JPG
.JPG | 211.4KB | DSCN4602.JPG

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Dec. 26, 2014 10:51 am

So sounds like the main difference is styling? If I end up with the house I am looking at I am gonna try for a Glenwood #8 or# 6 if I can't find one of those I will look at the Oak Stoves with back pipes. I have to say I like the style of the earlier Glenwood Oak stove.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Dec. 26, 2014 11:09 am

Here are some early catalogs to look at and they have some good descriptions of the stoves.

Randy

Attachments

Glenwood Base Heaters-2.pdf
.PDF | 3.2MB | Glenwood Base Heaters-2.pdf
Glenwood Heaters 2.pdf
.PDF | 5.6MB | Glenwood Heaters 2.pdf

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 1:27 am

Thanks for posting the catalogs Randy. A reliable source made the comment that I had the wrong finneral on the Oak 40. The one on the 40 is the same as the Modern Oak 114, but different than the one in the catalog. Earliest casting date on the 40 is 1899. I wonder? What should I have on the Oak 40? The one in the catalog is alot cooler and ornate.
Matt

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 1:47 am

I love my Glenwood Oak and Modern Oak. The Glenwood Oak with original back pipe is more efficient than the Modern Oak with just back pipe without guts.
Just there to adapt stove to my fireplace height. Stoves are basically the same. The older Oak 40 is a little more ornate in the castings.
Current stats.
Oak 40
Outside temp. 39 deg.
Stove top of barrel 450 deg.
Pipe before thimble 125 deg.
House 75 deg.
Coal size: stove
Modern Oak 114
Top of Barrel 425 deg.
Pipe 175 deg.
Coal size: 2:1 ratio nut to pea
Back on to finnerals. The one on the 40 does not match the one in the catalog.
Matt

Attachments

026.jpg

My finnerals.

.JPG | 96.7KB | 026.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 3:53 am

Somehow,........ maybe your Oak finial got swapped with the one for my Modern Oak 118 ? :shock:

The one that came on my second 118 is more like the finials I've seen on several Glenwood Oaks,...... which are also not exactly like the one shown in the catalog.

And, even though the loading door says Modern Glenwood Oak on it, it is not like the door on any other Modern Oak I've seen. If you look at the pictures I posted above, the "L" in Glenwood continues to the right to form a line under the name. There is no "gas burner" casting in behind the rotary secondary, no mica windows, and it has a turn latch same as the ash pan door rather than the lift handle of other Modern Oaks.

Plus, both turn latch handles are a bit more decorative than the same type handle on my other 118 and those on my Glenwood #6. Both have a spiral design cast into them.

All the other castings are the same as my first Modern Oak 118.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN4645.JPG
.JPG | 196.3KB | DSCN4645.JPG
Dsc03158.jpg
.JPG | 99.9KB | Dsc03158.jpg
Dsc03152.jpg
.JPG | 147.7KB | Dsc03152.jpg
DSCN4605.JPG
.JPG | 200.4KB | DSCN4605.JPG

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 9:19 am

Geez ..... I guess the finial that's on my 40 is incorrect too.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 128.7KB | image.jpg

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 10:20 am

I would imagine finial designs changed along with stove designs over the years. The catalog shows designs for that particular year and if that is the same year your stove was made then I would say maybe your finials are not correct.

Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Merc300d wrote:Geez ..... I guess the finial that's on my 40 is incorrect too.
Kevin,
Yours with the cast filigree on each side is the one I see on most GW Oaks. A few have the formed flat steel filigree like my early (?) 118 pictured above.

I've never seen the later finial like DePippo79's on an Oak. However, the filigree design in the bonnet of his Oak is not like the Modern Oaks, or the #6, #8 base heaters that his style finial is used on.

We see this quite a bit in antique cars from that time period,.... were some parts from a previous design were left over and used up on the first run of a new design.

They tended to not waste things in production in those days, the way we are used to seeing in more recent years.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Photog200 wrote:I would imagine finial designs changed along with stove designs over the years. The catalog shows designs for that particular year and if that is the same year your stove was made then I would say maybe your finials are not correct.

Randy
If the finials and bonnets were even made by Weir? They may have used a number of different subcontractors ?

And, it was not uncommon that most of the catalogs used illustrations, not actual photographs, that were reused in following years. Who knows what the artist was working from, or when ???

Paul

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 3:56 pm

DePippo79 wrote:I love my Glenwood Oak and Modern Oak. The Glenwood Oak with original back pipe is more efficient than the Modern Oak with just back pipe without guts.
I have the Oak 30 with the back pipe, guts included. Can't really improve upon my current setup? My quest may have ended.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Sunny Boy wrote: Kevin,
Yours with the cast filigree on each side is the one I see on most GW Oaks. A few have the formed flat steel filigree like my early (?) 118 pictured above.

I've never seen the later finial like DePippo79's on an Oak. However, the filigree design in the bonnet of his Oak is not like the Modern Oaks, or the #6, #8 base heaters that his style finial is used on.

We see this quite a bit in antique cars from that time period,.... were some parts from a previous design were left over and used up on the first run of a new design.

They tended to not waste things in production in those days, the way we are used to seeing in more recent years.

Paul

Your right Paul , It is the most common I see. I guess it really doesn't matter because they could of used whatever was there. My oak 40 didn't have the finial when I bought it. I was fortunate to have found one for it. Finials in general are tough to come by.

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 7:32 pm

The Glenwood oak and Modern oak are completely different stoves. The early oak 20.30,40, 50 have their grates in a frame that slides into the stove. The fire pot has no hump in the front and the stove is much more complicated than the later stoves. The gears are at the front of the bars.
The Modern series come in two varieties. The 12, 14, 16, 18 have round draw center grates and the 14, 16, 18 have no mica windows. the 114, 116, 118 all have 4 bar systems that sit in a frame. the frame is supported at the back by two little slots and in the front by two pins. This is a recipe for squashed fingers and frustration when assembling the stove. The fire pot has a hump in the front and cracks tend to form dead center , top to bottom on the fire pot. The stoves are much less complicated and cheaper to make. Another problem is that the gears on the grates are at the back but the grate indexes off the front of the frame. When we recast the bars shrink and the gears often do not engage. Pain in the butt but it can be fixed. They are good stoves but the earlier stoves are better. The modern oaks came in around 1906 or so but the early oaks are in the catalogs till about 1919. The company would also make early stoves right up to the end as they still had the patterns on hand

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Well ,as the old saying in museum work goes, "Never say never."

Here's a Glenwood Oak on Craig's List in Vermont with the same later style finial as DePippo79's Oak - painted all black at some time.

Picture is from the CL ad.
**Broken Link(S) Removed**

Paul

Attachments

00303_ad1Y6SoZwZj_600x450.jpg
.JPG | 18.2KB | 00303_ad1Y6SoZwZj_600x450.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”