Glenwood Oak VS Modern Oak

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Stovehospital says, "............... the 114, 116, 118 all have 4 bar systems that sit in a frame. the frame is supported at the back by two little slots and in the front by two pins. This is a recipe for squashed fingers and frustration when assembling the stove. ..................................... "

Emery,

"Give me a fulcrum and I will move the world", ..... or at least put the grate frame in a Modern Oak. :D

No need of mashed fingers.

Place a stack of wooden boards, or block, about half the height of the frame's back support ledge, in the back half of the ash pan drawer. Or, a length of pipe set crosswise in the ash drawer will act as a combination roller and fulcrum.

Slide the grates and frame onto them and push down on the front of the frame pivoting the frame's two rear bars upward until they line up with their notches in the rear ledge. Then push the grate frame the rest of the way in.

Lift the front of the frame up onto the two front support bars and put cotter pins through the support bars. Takes less than a minute.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Tue. Dec. 30, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Wed. Jul. 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi , Wonder if you could give me a idea of the size ( height) and weight of your glenwood oak ? Thanks

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jul. 26, 2018 9:13 am

There are four sizes in each of those two Oak stove models. The size and weight vary somewhat proportional to the firepot diameter.

I don't know of any stove owner that has weighed their Glenwood Oak stove. However, having moved two Modern Oak 118's- the biggest in that model line - it's about 5-1/2 feet high and I'd guess about 250-275 lbs fully assembled.

Your best chance to find out is to contact one of the stove restoration companies that frequent this website - Wilsons Wood Stoves, The Stove Hospital, or Barnstable Stove. They would know the size and weight because they crate and ship these stoves and the freight companies require that info from them.

Paul

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Fri. Jul. 27, 2018 8:24 am

The fin. in the catalog is right for a early glenwood oak, than they also used one like kevins. later glenwood made that popular cast iron fin. and put it on everything, the small #12 mod. oak and the small city #10 used the sheet metal with cast wings. there are a lot of the cast fin. but there pattern date is 1908. the one in the glenwood book is cast brass wings and is very fragial ...wilson

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sun. Nov. 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Glenwood usd several different finials over time. Some are rare but most are not. The later cast unit is sometimes found on the earlier oak stoves. I have the 1916 Glenwood catalog and they list the early Glenwood oaks as still available. Most of them came with the later finial. Your stove probably left the Glenwood factory in the teens rather than earlier. Good for you since it got used for fewer years.
I have the Glenwood record book used by dealers. They list later stoves sold right up through the 20's then suddenly it will list a stove from the 1890's. They still had the patterns on hand and would gladly make a stove for you for a price, even if the catalog said it was obsolete. Money is money.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sat. Oct. 15, 2022 12:31 am

stovehospital wrote:
Sun. Nov. 18, 2018 6:45 pm
I have the Glenwood record book used by dealers. They list later stoves sold right up through the 20's then suddenly it will list a stove from the 1890's. They still had the patterns on hand and would gladly make a stove for you for a price, even if the catalog said it was obsolete. Money is money.
Wonder whatever happened to all them patterns???

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”