Coalbrookdale Darby

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Dec. 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Shoot I'm just now taking the band aids off my skinned news from stumbling so much!!!

Wait till you give yourself a "Gibbs slap" because you did something wrong that you absolutely knew not to do.

sirandy
Coal Size/Type: Coalbrookdale

Post by sirandy » Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 8:48 am

Hi all,

Firstly apologies for dragging up an old thread, but having read through most of this thread, it seems there might be some people in a position to assist me with getting my stove running properly.

Just some history... My mother-in-law has this old burner in a "snug room" that was an old cowshed, now converted to a dining/entertainment area. We use it for Sunday Roasts, Xmas dinner and some entertaining evenings, so the room is only used occasionally. Over Xmas, we use it a few days in a row, we have a bar and big dining table in it, so the room lends itself to this sort of occasion.
Last year, I had a look at getting the stove running, and had to replace a few items including the rear grate bracket (a long cast iron rail that the moving grates rest on at the back. It was completely warped like a banana and was actually touching the ash pan. I replaced a few of the moving grates as well so that I have a full complement of upper and lower grates that now rock to and fro like they are supposed to. I also resealed the doors with rope, and replaced the glass. The glass was originally 3 or 4 pieces stacked upon each other, but I replaced with a solid piece of glass. All seems to be working well, and we did use it last xmas, but I could not get it to retain a burn over night, and it seemed to be burning to hot all the time like there was too much air getting in. Even when I closed the wheels completely, it still seemed to burn too quick. I am using a combo of wood to get it burning, and then I top it up with smokeless anthracite, large nuts.

I was going over it this morning, and following some of the advice on this thread, was trying to find where air was getting in and it became clear that the ash pan door, is not closing properly. It seems like it has warped. When I close it, and use the tool to lock it down, on the left hand side, there is a pretty large gap between the door and the frame that it closes against. The right hand side is not so apparent. With it closed, I cannot see any gap on the lower edge, or at the top in the middle. Just the edges. This leads me to believe, that even with the wheels completely closed, its still getting enough air to burn too hot.

Lastly, the long rear rail that I replaced, was so bent I looked to see if there is some sort of support and from the manual, I can see that when new, it DID have a piece bolted on to the frame, that the rail rested on, right in the middle. I assume this is now broken off, and from what I can gather from the suppliers, is no longer available. Does anyone have any idea of how I could support this rail? I was thinking of getting a piece of steel that I could use to prop it up, but then I wouldnt be able to push the ashpan all the way in. The only recourse I have is to cut the ashpan in the middle, so that it can slide past the support and just live with the fact that I will always have to vacuum up any ash that does not get collected...probably a negligible amount, but better that than the rail looking like a banana in the future....

Really appreciate any advice and thank you all for being so helpful to those that have gone before me in their efforts to keep their Darby's burning bright!

Regards, Andy

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”