Building a New Era Base Burner

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 12:53 pm

this will be a suspended (round)fire pot, magazine fed, thermostatically controlled, double heater type stove.

right now i'm working on satisfying the surface area to fire pot, combustion chamber to transfer to base chamber area / cross section relationships and possible internal dampening considerations on 3 diff. stove shapes.

1 ) round barrel, many common examples.

2 ) hex barrel, mica radiator variant. I call it "fish bowl" style

3 ) square box type, similar to my conversion in appearance but, single unit construction with multi angle fire view.

this probably isn't going to move much faster than my conversion and I plan to spend less time and space talking about it before there are solid decisions and plans drawn.

thanks for watching,
steve
Last edited by KingCoal on Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Excellent Smithers!!!!!!! I am behind you 100 percent.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Will be watching with interest.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 2:06 pm

franco b wrote:Will be watching with interest.
I second the motion. Good luck.
Jim

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Ive been waiting for this. I wont understand it all but I know it will be interesting to read about. Good luck

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 2:46 pm

well...........i just found a shape for a combustion chamber that blows my mind and would make a fantastic mica radiator style stove. i'd love to incorporate but it would probably cost me the double heater feature.

"oh, the uncertainty" !!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 3:44 pm

KingCoal wrote: ... considerations on 3 diff. stove shapes ... thanks for watching
Will definitely be watching. Will the design be straightforward enough that you can sell me plans and I can get it fabricated locally by a guy with simple machine tools and welding equipment? :)

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Dec. 05, 2014 3:46 pm

atleast the square one would.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 06, 2014 7:57 pm

working exclusively on the details of a "mica radiator" variant, with a heavy art deco flare.

will be able to keep the double heater feature.

steve

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Dec. 06, 2014 8:55 pm

KingCoal wrote:well...........i just found a shape for a combustion chamber that blows my mind and would make a fantastic mica radiator style stove. i'd love to incorporate but it would probably cost me the double heater feature.

"oh, the uncertainty" !!
Ok I will be the one to ask the question...what the heck is a mica radiator style stove?

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 8:11 am

sorry I thought this had been discussed, here's a pic of one of the largest and best, I recommend the whole thread, much interesting info in it.
steve

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 8:40 am

rberq wrote:
KingCoal wrote: ... considerations on 3 diff. stove shapes ... thanks for watching
Will definitely be watching. Will the design be straightforward enough that you can sell me plans and I can get it fabricated locally by a guy with simple machine tools and welding equipment? :)
It would be better to design the fire pot, grates - anything in contact with the actual fire - out of cast iron, specifically ASTM A319. That would not be within the fabrication abilities of a local fabricator, unless you are lucky enough to have a guy capable of doing castings.

dj

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 8:51 am

KingCoal wrote:sorry I thought this had been discussed, here's a pic of one of the largest and best, I recommend the whole thread, much interesting info in it.
steve
Favorite Baseburner #261

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 12:57 pm

dlj wrote:
It would be better to design the fire pot, grates - anything in contact with the actual fire - out of cast iron, specifically ASTM A319. That would not be within the fabrication abilities of a local fabricator, unless you are lucky enough to have a guy capable of doing castings.

dj
Dump the cast iron entirely for the fire pot & grates and go with a cast superalloy with a crucible ceramic liner.

And don't forget the thermal barrier coating on the firepot metal.

:mrgreen:

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 1:13 pm

scalabro wrote:
dlj wrote:

dj
Dump the cast iron entirely for the fire pot & grates and go with a cast superalloy with a crucible ceramic liner.

And don't forget the thermal barrier coating on the firepot metal.

:mrgreen:
Here we go again... You need to supply your data. When are you going to get your stove done up with the high tech thermal barrier coating so you can see if there is any discernible improvement in your theoretical hypothesis? Or if it's just spending lots of dollars for no benefit?

It's hard to beat a hundred years or so of actual data supporting the use of ASTM A319 material in this application compared to an untested theory... :clap:

dj

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”