Moore's 403A

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 6:27 pm

Greetings all.

I was lucky enough to have a Moore's 403A given to me, in pieces! The stove has been sitting in my Mother-in-law's garage for years. It was given to her by family. I had no idea what type of stove it was, I just knew it was old! I have no idea when this stove was last used, many moons ago. She knew I was a coal stove enthusiast and offered it to me. Knowing nothing about this stove I researched it and found out it is indeed a coal stove from the late 1800's. I assume the "A" signifies it's a first production stove. Can anyone offer some information about this magnificent piece of artwork? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Since it's in pieces I will get photos as soon as I can. I quickly looked through the heaping pile of metal and noticed the fire pot is damaged. Since I'm not familiar with this particular stove it's hard to say if all of the parts are there. It seems someone took care in keeping everything together. I plan on assembling the stove to see exactly what is missing. If it seems to be in good condition I plan on restoring it. The entire stove is painted silver so I'll have to either sandblast or wire wheel the crap out of it to get it back to it's former glory.I'll have to make sure everything is functional and I could get any missing or damaged parts before getting too involved. I'm burning a Coal Chubby now and the fire pot on the Moore's seems to be about the same size.

Hope to be schooled about Moore's stoves soon.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Where The Hell Do You Guys Keep Coming Up With These Stoves? toothy The Sherrick Of Anthracite has no good idea what he's help start ! Take Your Time,Sort out The Good From The Bad,and You May have something to do for a Winter Project ! :up:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 6:40 pm

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Read it several times. Thanks KingCoal.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 6:45 pm

have you seen one assembled ? if not go here,

http://www.usantiquemall.com/AntiqueRestoration/V ... aters.html

scroll down to Moore's 403 on right side.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 7:12 pm

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 8:15 pm

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 8:31 pm

nuts , don't seem to be able to open it.

ah, I got it open. I had seen this while I was looking at these stoves.

certainly are nice, I probably shouldn't have hesitated when I saw one.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Bad news, looks like the stove's new home is the scrap yard. I started assembling it today. I got the interior furnace put together but noticed every part was either cracked or missing pieces. Since this is the heart of the stove and probably the most expensive it wouldn't be worth it to move forward with the restoration. I decided to check out the shroud but the news only got worse. Most of the dog ears that hold the assembly together were broke off. I assume it's all cast iron so welding is out of the question. It's a shame, she was a beauty!

Witmyway

Post by Witmyway » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 5:31 am

ImageI believe I have a finial for a 403. Are there buyers for these? Is there anyone who is willing to make an offer?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”