Glenwood #8 Long Burn

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 6:56 am

I picked "fugal" trying to be kind to New Englanders - past and present. :roll: I've got quite a few ancestors from Boston area and Maine on both sides of the family tree. :D

Anyway, yes, a magazine would seem like a worthwhile add-on to an already good stove and make it that much better. Plus add more resale value down the road if one were to ever downsize their living arrangements.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:08 am

PJT wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:I've wondered that too, but so far, no one can answer why there aren't more Glenwood magazines surviving. And, also so far, it hasn't been established if magazines were standard issue, or just an optional piece.

I have seen a few other brands of parlor stoves with magazines.

Maybe it's a regional thing ? There are very few coal Glenwood ranges. The vast majority that I see have wood grates. If the same

Maybe those old New Englanders were just too fugal ? :D

Paul
More like tighter than the bark on a tree....tighter than the skin on a drum....so tight that when they walked, their underwear squeaked.....and I can say that since Im a 12th generation New Englander...... ;)
HA !! you forgot "so tight if you feed 'em coal they'll pass diamonds"

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:45 am

coalnewbie wrote:Tightness is a credible characteristic, frugality however has practical limits.

If, like me, you were stupid enough to buy a 7000 sq ft leakbox but have the opportunity to heat it with three super efficient base heaters with a super cheap fuel that is going down in price or at the very least is stable, what is that worth? Now a device comes along that will assist in allowing 24 hour tending in just about any weather then paying the entry ticket (within limits) is smart business. Perhaps not frugal but smart. Sometimes we have to pay for lifes stupid mistakes. :)
How much of the 7000 sq. ft are you attempting to keep at room temperature?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:52 am

About 50-70% with 55* in the rest to ensure no freeze ups. If I wanted or needed 70* in every corner of every room then I would need to up my game. That would mean another stove in the upstairs appt........hmmmm..... nah., but it is a thought ... and there is another fireplace/chimney up there ....... troublemaker.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 8:03 am

coalnewbie wrote:About 50-70% with 55* in the rest to ensure no freeze ups. If I wanted or needed 70* in every corner of every room then I would need to up my game. That would mean another stove in the upstairs appt........hmmmm..... nah., but it is a thought ... and there is another fireplace/chimney up there ....... troublemaker.
Putting magazines in the stoves you have, . . . would free you up to tend another stove ! Remember the coal burning motto - "Never waste a good chimney" ! :D

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 8:28 am

Hmm, I like your mottos. Is there one covering collecting more stoves than you can use. I think I have one

Stupid is as stupid does

Seems to fit me to a T

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 8:59 am

coalnewbie wrote:Hmm, I like your mottos. Is there one covering collecting more stoves than you can use. I think I have one

Stupid is as stupid does

Seems to fit me to a T
How 'bout.
He who dies with the most stoves, is the warmest ? :D

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:28 pm

franco b wrote:I would think it is like shoveling a pile of dirt. The higher it gets the more it spreads out.
I can't see shortening the bottom since it is the heavier thicker part to withstand the heat and the top can't be changed. Also the size of coal makes a difference. You could also experiment with a small approximate scale model and some sand to observe effects of height versus diameter.

If Pancho comes up with stainless tube it might work very well at least to determine feeding height. To use as a pattern for cast it could be built up with fiberglass to get the thickness. Anneal the top and form the flare.

The Glenwood 114 has 7 inch clear opening by 19 inches to top of fire pot. Also has places for register tabs on magazine.
That is called the angle of repose.....which must be a consideration if we are gunna fab up some mags.

http://www.geocities.ws/wingian_chan/angle/everybus.html

I asked earlier on if there was a height we want to maintain from the bottom of the mag to the top of the firepot. Having thought for a minute about that, this dimension will vary depending on coal type (nut, stove, etc.).....no biggie for design but we'll have to determine a few things and I think Paul gave a good start with the pic he posted......we'll just need to define that with dimensions.

As far as quoting the stainless tube, our suppliers don't have 7.50" OD SS tubing. There is 7" and there is 8". The DO have 7.5" OD x .5" wall aluminum tubing but I don't know that I'd want to make up a pattern out of that. I don't know that I want the weight of that, in cast iron, hanging from the top of my stove.

As I get more time at work I will keep digging. This should be easy to do (one way or another) if we can define some dimensions.

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:I don't think sand would be a good replacement for how coal will mound up. It moves to easily and would run out at a much shallower angle. I shovel sand into small mounds quite a bit in my job when loading my sandblaster. It will not pile up as easily as coal.

Here's my #6 pot with 50 pounds of nut coal mounded up. This is about as steep an angle as it would go without pieces running down the mound angle.

At about where the mound would be near to the 7 inch plus diameter, looks to be about where the two inch shorter length of the magazine would wind up- that dlj mentions in his notes.

So yeah, change the height, or widths and it throws off the angle that the coal will stay mounded at. Too high, or too wide and you could wind up with burning coal over the top of the pot liner and up against the sheet metal barrel. So much for, "one size fits all."

Paul
Paul, is that picture recent?. What I am getting at is if your stove was assembled, we could get some hard measurements to target. My coal is not here yet (it will be in the next week or two) but when it does, I can dimension up a tube for all three of us #8 guys. :D

What I'm thinkin' is if we can find a bore that fits for most, we can make some up that are dimensionally long and can be cut to fit (it's real easy to cut something down).

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 4:59 am

Poncho,
That picture was taken shortly after I got the #6 home back in March. The top recess to firepot length for the #6 and the 118 Modern Oaks is 22-1/2 inches from the recess lip that the magazine "hangs" from, down to a line even with the top of the firepot by sighting across side to side.

We now know that the top opening is the same 7-1/2 inch diameter for the Glenwood Oaks, the 116 , 118 Modern Oaks, and the #6 and #8 base heaters.

If you can, measure the same vertical dimension of your # 8 and we can come close on an estimated length going by the coal mound angle.

If this works out and the info and numbers are correct, the larger diameter stoves, such as the #50 Oak (still need to know fire pot diameter of that one), the #8 BB, and the 118 should need a magazine just a bit shorter because, as Franco B pointed out, the greater coal mound diameter. So, they can use the same magazine, but we've yet to establish how much would need to be cut off the bottom of a magazine for the smaller diameter firepot stoves.

The coal mound forms an angle that's relatively constant. Too shallow and it doesn't mound outward - too steep and it continues to flow outward. If we know the angle of the slope, and the length of the bottom of that triangle that is the difference in the radius of the different sized stoves, we can come very close on knowing what the vertical side of that triangle needs to be. That's how much to shorten the magazines for the bigger stoves.

Paul

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 8:11 am

Nice work fellows. :)

The few magazines that I have seen have the coal sizing cast on the lid..."Chestnut Coal Only"
I quess it should be obvious that "Stove Coal" won't work in a magazine w/o bridging, besides the "Angle of Repose" would require to shorten the magazines lenght greatly compared to that of Chestnut ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 8:28 am

Mac,
"Angle of Repose". I like that better than "mound angle". Sounds less dirty. :D

Though, at my age, it makes me think about taking a nap. :D

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 8:42 am

McGiever wrote:Nice work fellows. :)

The few magazines that I have seen have the coal sizing cast on the lid..."Chestnut Coal Only"
I quess it should be obvious that "Stove Coal" won't work in a magazine w/o bridging, besides the "Angle of Repose" would require to shorten the magazines lenght greatly compared to that of Chestnut ;)
I have some 8 inch cardboard concrete form "sonotube" that's 7-1/4 inch ID. I'm guessing it's about 1/2 to 3/4 inch bigger than the mag ID, but I think close enough. I have to stop in and talk truck loads of stove coal from one dealer, I'll pick up a bag of stove coal and see if I can get it to bridge in this tube.

If it flows down a card board tube, I should think that it will flow more easily in a cast iron tube, or at least, not stay bridged after shaking the grates ????

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 11:29 am

what I did to find the gap betwen the fire pot's top and the bottom of the mag. First time I let the mag a little longer and after a few burning days I made it shorter to help the falling down move. I just had a pipe reducer at that moment but any pipe, tube...can do the job for the first testings.

Attachments

DSC03704.JPG
.JPG | 83.7KB | DSC03704.JPG
DSC04003.JPG
.JPG | 113.5KB | DSC04003.JPG
Last edited by nortcan on Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 11:37 am

Nortcan.

Is that nut, or stove size coal ?

What is the inside diameter of the magazine your using?

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”