Glenwood #8 Long Burn

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 7:36 am

As I wait pineing away each day for the arrival of my #8, my thoughts turn to why I bought it.

What I am hoping to do is set this stove on very very low and let it run on a constant heat for days. It has a huge fire pot. I don't need great heat control I just want to keep it barely alight, without shaking or ash bin emptying. So how so I do it, stove, nut, pea. Nut with a sprinkling of rice on top ( I have rice). So how long can I expect to go? I don't care if by accident it goes out although that would be a minor nuisance. How about a hopper, few seem to use them and why not? This winter I have an objective of dropping coal use 40%.

So I wish to set the #8 to punch out say 10-30,000 BTU on low along side the AnthraKing. Why not just just the AnthraKing? Like all stoves the 'king operates most efficiently when not on super high. When both stoves are on if more heat needed the coaltrol kicks from min to max to regulate temperature. As the winter progresses I wish to keep the 'king cruising gently by picking up the slack with the #8 and opening her up. If we get down to last winters low both stoves will need to WORK. That 200,000 BTU total will be needed when wind chills sink to -20*. We are not used to that in this neck of the woods and this ghastly leakbox kills me when the weather gets btichy.

I have noticed that my Pocono which has an easy life down the barn in a small room never goes about 25% output and the ashes are much more free of unburnt coal.

Comments.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 8:08 am

I would say because all chimneys / drafts / set ups are different, there is no specific setting that one could tell you to achieve that goal in your application. Other than the generalities that I'm sure you are aware of. My small amount of experience would suggest that you will have to run it and find out what settings result in the best performance, ie, what settings result in the most efficient transfer of fire pot heat to the room/s. Burning it very low results in unburnt gasses going up the chimney (uh oh :doh: ).

I would hope that that size fire pot would be able to produce barrel temps of 450 degrees for at least 24 hours straight. With a strong draft and the stove closed down much longer at lower temps.

Ask the Duke of Sherrick how long his 6 runs low and slow and just extrapolate the difference for now, that should keep you busy until it gets cold. I'm thinking another 120 days and you can play!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 8:33 am

As Gekko says, your set up could vary whatever info you get.

Another factor is that, . . . there are very few #8's to judge by. I think there's only one member on here using one.

Short of waiting until you have your #8 set up and run awhile, my guess is, whatever a Glenwood #6 will do burn time wise,..... with the #8 burning at roughly the same heat output as the #6, the difference in burn length may be about proportional to the differences in firepot capacity ????

My #6 - with original one inch thick fire brick lining, is 13-1/5 inch diameter at the top, 12 inch at the bottom, by 10-1/2 inch grates to top of the bricks. It holds a measured 50 pounds of nut coal.

One of the "projects" I've been checking into is magazines for the Glenwood cylinder stoves.

The #6 have the same size magazine opening as the Glenwood Oaks and the Glenwood 118 Modern Oaks (maybe even the smaller GW 116 MO's ?).

If your #8 top cover measures 8-1/2 inch outside diameter (7-7/16 ID opening in the stove top) and says GW Oak on the underside, that's the same also.

From looking at pictures of other stove magazines. The #6 magazine should be about 7 inch inside diameter at the top, tapering to about 6 at the bottom, by about 20-22 inch in length. That would hold quite a bit more coal.

Plus, loading the magazine should eliminate much of the cold rush of air through the loading door, and subsequently dropping the firepot temps and having to keep the stove in direct draft until the coal bed catches up again. Or, at least reduce all that quite a bit.

So, it's either find an original GW magazine to copy, or make a pattern. So far, I've been asking around, but no luck finding an original, so I've been kicking around ideas to make a pattern.

Paul

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 9:20 am

Another factor is that, . . . there are very few #8's to judge by
C rap, Wilson are you listening? I guess I need to duplicate the internals as this will be a worker stove. How will the wife view a spare set of internals for a #8 as a wedding anniversary present? Oh yes, did I mention Wilson is picking the stove up for me and giving it the once over and now it seems that is going to be more than just a once over. Yep, the CN restoration method is alive and well. Send it to the shop and pick it up. I did not realize the #8s were so rare and that rarity is not necessarily a good thing for a worker bee.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 10:53 am

Yup, being in the restoration business, I see that all the time. Everyone loves "rare" when it's time to sell. :D

But when it's time to pay for repair, it's extremely "rare" that they are happy ! :shock:

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 11:01 am

There are some further points to consider in addition to those in the excellent posts by Gekko and Sunny Boy.
Running around tending all those stoves you will burn a lot more calories and get skinny making you look like Adonis with all the dangers that could cause in the loss of vital bodily fluids. Also by shedding bodily insulation you might require higher ambient temperature. Proceed with caution.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 1:32 pm

You will easily get 16-20 hours between tending times at a barrel temperature of 350-400. You are as bad as I am when it comes to creating things to worry about.
You are now a resident on coal stove easy street. You will see.
After you learn just how simple the Glenwood No 8 and the Wings Best are to maintain. the Anthraking will be summarily become a redundant piece of equipment.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Sorry Franco and Sunny but "God" says I will be fine. My tending issues have been thought through carefully and I am very happy with how this has come out and I agree with"God". Come this winter I will set up a $65 Foscam camera in my basement 168.24.x.x:xxx and so you can watch and laugh at me. Try not to smile as I suffer.

WARNING, the sight of me in my jammies at 4AM can be pretty horrible and young children should be protected. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you can see how worried I am....

The upside to all this is a lot of coal saved and a reduced case of baseburneitis (the only cure is to buy more stoves). Now I have to examine the downsides.... I have to sell my #8 for what I bought it for

... the line starts over there.

In fact I am so worried about my finances with this deal, I may have to buy another baseburner to overcome my screw up. Hey, life is tough in BB land. The sand pit is full and I have a lot of buckets and spades to choose from. :junmp: :junmp: ... and no I did not take my meds today.

The only disagreement with God is that I will not sell the AnthraKing, that is a great stove too and will always be a useful backup. Remember my backup to coal is coal. No regrets anywhere, I love playing with this chit.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 4:46 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Sorry Franco and Sunny but "God" says I will be fine. My tending issues have been thought through carefully and I am very happy with how this has come out and I agree with"God". Come this winter I will set up a $65 Foscam camera in my basement 168.24.x.x:xxx and so you can watch and laugh at me. Try not to smile as I suffer.

WARNING, the sight of me in my jammies at 4AM can be pretty horrible and young children should be protected. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you can see how worried I am....

The upside to all this is a lot of coal saved and a reduced case of baseburneitis (the only cure is to buy more stoves). Now I have to examine the downsides.... I have to sell my #8 for what I bought it for

... the line starts over there.

In fact I am so worried about my finances with this deal, I may have to buy another baseburner to overcome my screw up. Hey, life is tough in BB land. The sand pit is full and I have a lot of buckets and spades to choose from. :junmp: :junmp: ... and no I did not take my meds today.

The only disagreement with God is that I will not sell the AnthraKing, that is a great stove too and will always be a useful backup. Remember my backup to coal is coal. No regrets anywhere, I love playing with this chit.
I didn't say you had to sell it. It will just sit there dethroned, cold and abandoned; wondering what the heck just happened.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 4:49 pm

I didn't say you had to sell it. It will just sit there dethroned, cold and abandoned; wondering what the heck just happened.
Hmm,,, sounds like the end of my first marriage.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Unless that Glenwood can burn that TT load of rice coal, I expect it will get some stoker company.

Are you going to run that fancy filtration system and move air around via ductwork?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Oh Rob, you and your technical questions, you are a riot. Where is that physics book.... hot air rises and a heat soaked house cures all. Oh the TT load of rice, did I tell you about the other 8000 sq ft I am heating???? Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm glad you'll still have a use for all of that rice coal. It would be a shame to use it for driveway filler. It would probably look nice though.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Burn it first and then it makes a great driveway filler. Coal ash really quiets down the crunchy noise of a gravel driveway ! :D

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jul. 06, 2014 6:45 pm

wsherrick wrote:I'm glad you'll still have a use for all of that rice coal. It would be a shame to use it for driveway filler. It would probably look nice though.
Now THAT, was funny!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”