Wehrle Acme Sunburst Base Burner

eac325
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst

Post by eac325 » Wed. Jun. 25, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm new to this forum.

I grew up with an Acme Sunburst Base Burner (gorgeous stove) which used to be heat the old family farmhouse in NY - when central heat went in, the stove moved out to my Dad's workshop and heated that. When Mom and Dad retired, they moved the stove with them to southern VA and installed it in the basement family room in front of the fireplace. They occassionally fired it up with coal there.

Mom and Dad have passed away, and after finally selling their house, I have moved the good old stove to TN, where I am retired. I just got all the nickel parts replated. I'm thinking of putting in a log cabin I have here, for occassional additional auxilliary heat. The cabin does NOT have a fireplace, so I'll have to add a chimney etc. to put the stove in there. I'm thinking that maybe a conversion to gas (like gas logs only using ceramic or lava bricks to simulate coal) might be easier, cleaner and safer than coal - which I can't find anywhere around here anyway (I'd have to have it shipped in by the pallet, I think). Anyone have any experience with this, or know who could do it locally here in middle TN????

Thanks!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Jun. 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, One scenario you didn't mention: Ship the stove to some one here in the northern states where coal is readily available & the heat much needed.The user could video tape the stove in action & then you could watch the video when you want some coal heat. This would keep you from worrying how to get coal so far south,eliminate a lot of set up work for you & would greatly benefit the user with great heat while keeping the stove in working order. Just a possibility that maybe you hadn't thought of ;) toothy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jun. 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Welcome.

Nice stove. It's great that you want to keep it in the family !!!!

I'm not aware of any stove restorers in your area. Most are in the upper Midwest, or Northeast.

About the closest might be this shop in Ginger Creek, NC.
http://www.gingercreekstoves.com/about_us.html

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.
Paul

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jun. 26, 2014 6:17 am

Don't know of any gas log like conversions out there for you...there are some rather nice electric light conversions for stoves. Of course, lights are all for show, no heat benefit. ;)
But no flue is required for the lighting option. :)

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Thu. Jun. 26, 2014 9:37 am

I think keeping the stove in the family is a wonderful thing to do. The memories it must evoke are heart warming. With a little effort the stove will be hearth warming too.

Have you tried doing a google search for coal suppliers in Tennessee? Good a palace as any to look.

I recently visited Bryant Stove Works in Thorndike, Maine (207-568-3665) and notice a similar stove with a gas burner in it. You might try calling them and talking to Basil, their head restorer. Maybe he could offer suggestions.

I would think though that if the stove could talk it would prefer a belly full of anthracite to a squirt of gas. Keep us posted!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jun. 26, 2014 10:39 am

dhansen wrote: ............... a belly full of anthracite to a squirt of gas. ...............
Dennis,
There's a joke in that line begging to come out. Where's FF when we need him ? :D

Paul

eac325
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst

Post by eac325 » Tue. Mar. 06, 2018 12:45 pm

We got all the shiny parts re-plated and the stove is essentially back together. Somehow we are missing one ornamental piece on the "top shoulder" and a piece or 2 off the top filial. Otherwise, she's all intact and looking beautiful.

We also have a box of spare mica for the windows....

Any one interested in purchasing this old girl? (Wehle Acme Sunburst Base Burner) She is in working order and great condition. After much thought and deliberation, we just are not going to be installing and using her, and it seems like she should go to a good home and continue warming lives.....

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Tue. Mar. 06, 2018 1:13 pm

coalnewbie will be along shortly to take this off your hands....he needs a base burner

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Mar. 06, 2018 4:50 pm

check your PM's please

thanks,
steve

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”