Just Stumbled Onto A Glenwood Oak 50

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. May. 14, 2014 10:22 pm

I happened to check eBay this afternoon, and noticed this rare Glenwood Oak 50 project stove.

I've only heard about this 50 size from Emery - when I traded him a Glenwood 40 last Fall.

It's complete, but needs a full restore (new cylinder, etc.). Plus, it's direct draft (too bad).

I think I will eventually use it to heat my shop space, maybe using wood?

It will be large enough to hold a good load of wood.

It was originally in Marjorie Merriweather Post's Topridge, her Tupper Lake estate in the Adirondacks. She was once the richest woman in the world($250 million)!

I made him an offer of $225.00 - accepted.

I'm pleased - Chris

Attachments

Glenwood Oak 50A.JPG
.JPG | 228.6KB | Glenwood Oak 50A.JPG
Glenwood Oak 50B.JPG
.JPG | 258KB | Glenwood Oak 50B.JPG
Glenwood Oak 50C.JPG
.JPG | 223.7KB | Glenwood Oak 50C.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. May. 15, 2014 4:31 am

If one's good, is two better ? :D

There's another 50 for sale in Florida.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glenwood-parlor-stove-c18 ... 3a894a044b

And they only want eleven times what you paid for that one. :roll:

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. May. 15, 2014 7:49 am

Hey, Chris.....I thought you were going to chill on these babies for a while......LOL!!!!!!!

No P on the back pipe, one can easily be fabricated, plus you can also have the cyl made to almost any length you want.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Thu. May. 15, 2014 8:23 am

Holy cow the mother of all Stoves. Nice find. Probably the only one you will ever see again.

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19

Post by chrisbuick » Thu. May. 15, 2014 8:27 am

Scott - I was not planning to buy any more, but I've regretted trading the Glenwood 40 to Emery (for some reason) and I realized it might work for me as a wood stove. Plus, it's fairly rare and it needs to be brought back.

It was part of the Gilded Age and I got hooked by the Marjorie Merriweather Post/Camp Topridge connection!

Hopefully I can get to it at some point.

I think I'll sell my Royal Stewart 171 Oak, which I really don't need, to make room.

Chris

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Thu. May. 15, 2014 7:58 pm

good buy , a rare stove and history to boot. You should some how document the history I think that is important. Doug at Barnstable has had his share of 50s I remember him use one with back pipe and second story barrel.

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Mon. May. 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks Wilson and everyone who's shown interest.

I was reminded that there's a picture of Doug Pacheco standing by a Glenwood 50 with an extended barrel.

Here it is, and it's awesome:

Chris

Attachments

Doug Pacheco Glenwood 50.jpg
.JPG | 32.5KB | Doug Pacheco Glenwood 50.jpg

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Thu. Jan. 15, 2015 8:41 am

Just wondering if a stove like this, or any "oak stove" for that matter, would perform when a single tall can is installed.

Does anyone know the barrel diameter on an Oak 50 or 40?

I'm thinking an Oak 50 with a single 48 inch can and the breech relocated to a position high on the back of the can. Maybe some spot welded vertical "fins" running the length of the can? Also an MPD and Baro would be installed of course. :)

As long as ceiling space is available I'm thinking this would result in a very formidable and simple stove. Additionally, because of its large firepot, I'm thinking a 50 would have a long untended run time on anthracite.

Oaks are relatively cheap too.

Thoughts?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 15, 2015 9:03 am

Not sure what the diameter is of a Glenwood Oak 50.

One of Melissa's brothers heats his whole house with a Round Oak model E24 (using wood). It has a 24 inch firepot, with an extension can on the barrel.

The top of the bonnet is over 6 feet - top of the finial about 7 feet.

Their place has tall ceilings, with an open floor plan and lots of large windows. The long wall to the right of the stove is about 25 feet of near continuous glass, from kitchen counter height up to the ceiling.

I've been there on really cold days in winter and the house it's very comfortable, .... until you get within about 5-6 feet of that beast,.... then you start to melt ! :shock:

Paul

Attachments

DSCN2844.JPG
.JPG | 203KB | DSCN2844.JPG

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Thu. Jan. 15, 2015 9:09 am

Yea, that's the ticket!

Except, I wonder if a "Frankenstove" could be cobbled together out of several "Parts Stoves".

How about a Glenwood 8's front load door, fire pot and gas ring assembly mounted on an "Oak" chassis with one long can?

I'm talking LONG...till the point where breech temps are at BB/BH breech temps.

You could probably surpass a BB/BH radiative surface area this way, you just need the ceiling height!

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Sat. Jan. 17, 2015 8:09 am

I have the Glenwood 50 in storage. I was considering extending the barrel if I ever get around to restoring it, but I think I may just leave it stock, since it would be more than large enough to heat any of my spaces.

Obviously, it's a big, costly project, and I have too many others.

Chris

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jan. 17, 2015 8:20 am

scalabro wrote:Yea, that's the ticket!

Except, I wonder if a "Frankenstove" could be cobbled together out of several "Parts Stoves".

How about a Glenwood 8's front load door, fire pot and gas ring assembly mounted on an "Oak" chassis with one long can?

You could probably surpass a BB/BH radiative surface area this way, you just need the ceiling height!
One of the things that got "rediscovered" when forum members started experimenting with their stoves was a forgotten rule of thumb. For every unit of grate size you need 27 units of radiating surface. When you go way over that or way under it the performance drops off and you start running into problems. Stick with that 27-1 ratio and you'll do just fine.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 17, 2015 10:04 am

blrman07 wrote:
scalabro wrote:Yea, that's the ticket!

One of the things that got "rediscovered" when forum members started experimenting with their stoves was a forgotten rule of thumb. For every unit of grate size you need 27 units of radiating surface. When you go way over that or way under it the performance drops off and you start running into problems. Stick with that 27-1 ratio and you'll do just fine.
Rev,
So how does that 27:1 ratio square with stoves that have barrel extensions ?

I stood next to the Round Oak E24 in the picture I posted above and it is impressive how much volume of heat it is throwing off in all directions, from top to bottom. The stove was not working hard, but I could only take being within 6 feet of the beast for couple of minutes at a time. Ok, that one was burning wood, but does that 27:1 only work for coal ?

If the extensions reduce performance, why would the stove manufacturers, who knew the ins and outs of these designs so well, sell them ?

Paul

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sat. Jan. 17, 2015 11:59 am

I thought that this ratio is for a Baseburner/heater.

For a direct draft "Oak Stove" it's my opinion that the barrel length is only limited by maybe three things,

1). Ceiling height.
2). Chimney type and point of stove pipe entry into said chimney.
3). The point where the gasses transfer heat to the point where sufficient draft for lower ambient pressures and warmer OAT's become an issue.

There is a picture on the forum somwhere that shows Oak stoves being used in a Civil war mess hall I believe. The barrels are almost to the top of the huge hall.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 17, 2015 12:14 pm

27:1 would work out better for a base heater.

For an Oak with a 24 inch firepot, like that Round Oak I mentioned, with it's grate size likely about 20 inches that's about 2 square feet. At 27:1, the barrel on that 24 inch Oak would be over 8 feet high. :shock:

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”