PP Stewart No 14

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. May. 02, 2014 3:41 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:They cleaned up very nicely Gek.

Bling is in the eye of the beholder. Because of my work, I tend toward making it look as much like it did when it left that factory as humanly possible. Goes along with preservation of a historic item that is also functional. I'm not a fan of changing history. But that gets me dirty looks and sometimes nasty comments from the street rod guys ! :roll:

Is that a crack right at the beginning of the left hand most scroll of the PPStewart plate ?

Paul
Good eye Paul!

Yes the left "ear" is broken and there are several hairline cracks between the letters. Since it's on a relatively "cold" part, I am going to braze the cracks and the broken piece with an oxy acetylene setup before the nickel work. It's a very thin and delicate casting and too intricate to try to weld.

Point well taken on the "Pimp" work, lol!

I'm just going to nickel the original plated parts and the knobs.

Too bad really that the upper ring will not be original but I know I will never find the correct one :(

Regards,
Scott

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Gekko wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:They cleaned up very nicely Gek.

Bling is in the eye of the beholder. Because of my work, I tend toward making it look as much like it did when it left that factory as humanly possible. Goes along with preservation of a historic item that is also functional. I'm not a fan of changing history. But that gets me dirty looks and sometimes nasty comments from the street rod guys ! :roll:

Is that a crack right at the beginning of the left hand most scroll of the PPStewart plate ?

Paul
Good eye Paul!

Yes the left "ear" is broken and there are several hairline cracks between the letters. Since it's on a relatively "cold" part, I am going to braze the cracks and the broken piece with an oxy acetylene setup before the nickel work. It's a very thin and delicate casting and too intricate to try to weld.

Point well taken on the "Pimp" work, lol!

I'm just going to nickel the original plated parts and the knobs.

Too bad really that the upper ring will not be original but I know I will never find the correct one :(

Regards,
Scott
Using the Glenwood ring is as close to the original as you can "humanly possible" get to for now. And it's easily reversible if an original should ever turn up,. . . so your good in the eyes of the purists. :D

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Mon. May. 05, 2014 6:52 pm

A mock up pic and one showing the damage to the firepot support. The cracks in the support will end up being a combination repair by filling the cracks with high nickel content rod, and adding two 1/2 x 2 inch support straps welded on the outer circumference of the support. The right plate that is blasted in the first pic has two small cracks that will be welded.

Also on the fire pot support I will heavily de burr all the casting flash to try to increase flow through the base. I know it won't really do a darn thing but I'll feel better that I tried to "blueprint" the stove as much as possible while it's torn down.

Attachments

image.jpg

Base section mock up

.JPG | 205.5KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

Fire pot support "ring"

.JPG | 271.9KB | image.jpg

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Tue. May. 06, 2014 9:32 am

This is a really cool looking stove. It's amazing how advanced coal burning technology was in the 1860's. I cannot wait to see pictures of it when your done tinkering with it.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Tue. May. 06, 2014 7:27 pm

BPatrick wrote:This is a really cool looking stove. It's amazing how advanced coal burning technology was in the 1860's. I cannot wait to see pictures of it when your done tinkering with it.
Thanks Brian, I can't wait either.

All parts went to the the blaster today and they will be done tomorrow afternoon. I'll post up a pic of all the parts laid out on the ground. I just hope no more cracks show up. Nickel brazing is expensive..... :doh:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. May. 07, 2014 12:25 am

It's coming along nicely. A part like the fire pot base is a good candidate for a casting to keep as a spare.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Wed. May. 07, 2014 7:46 am

wsherrick wrote:It's coming along nicely. A part like the fire pot base is a good candidate for a casting to keep as a spare.
Hmmmmm, perhaps after it's repaired I should send it off to Tomahawk to make a spare?

Honestly I don't think we will see another PP Stewart 14 any time soon but since I will keep this stove I will always have the option :mrgreen:

Always good to hear from you Obi-Wan, hope you are well my friend.

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Thu. May. 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
BPatrick wrote:If you mean the Glenwood Modern Oaks with the optional back pipe, ......

The exhaust gases go out a pipe collar at the back upper part of the barrel, a bit higher up then they do on the Glenwood base heaters. The flue gases can either travel through the open pipe damper straight to the stack in direct mode, or, in indirect mode, . . .

The back pipe has a vertical cast iron divider that separates the front half of the pipe from the back half with a rectangular damper near the top of it. The divider has a semi -circular gap in the bottom edge that the outer edges of rest in slots in the base casting.

With the back pipe damper closed (indirect mode), . . the flue gases must travel down the front half of the back pipe, then make a 180 degree turn through that semi-circular gap and the base support casting, then travel up the back side of the pipe and on out to the stack.

Paul
I wondered what the divider was for. I imagine you'd need a well established draft before trying to move the gases down the pipe. How much of a difference have you noticed in heat output using it in the indirect mode?

Any tips on how to get the most efficient usage out of my stove would be great.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 10:09 am

Wow...this thread is back from the bottom of the pile :)

It seems the Metal-Men in Chicopee lost my phone number. It's been almost a year. They have jobs much more profitable than this old clunker! Anyway, I just kind of figured it was time to call and check on the job.

It's been done for months.

They have fabricated a new firepot, 36 inch barrel, and the plate behind the load door.

Walter told me he did not have time to fab a new ashpan, huh?

Later this week I'll drag my sorry azz up there and pick up the parts and post some pics.

I think the firepot support casting and stove bottom casting will have to be re cast due to those parts being overheated.

Gonna get this done before October as I want to give the Crawford 40 next season off.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 10:21 am

Congrats on the new stove! It looks like it will clean up nice and I bet you will be able to find a top ring for it with no problem.

Randy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 21, 2015 11:05 am

Scott, Great news. Looking forward to seeing pix of it done and hearing how well it runs.

Paul

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Like a zombie this thread is re-animated :fear:

My cell phone rang this morning and lo and behold, the fabrication shop calls and advises my parts are done. With the exception of the ash pan which I was promised to have in my hands by the end of September using all the original hardware.

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original overheated parts are included in the pics.

Now it's off to Wilsons for some welding on the pot support casting :)

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 194.2KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 200.1KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 257.2KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 194.9KB | image.jpg

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 8:31 pm

WOW, that pot with integral transfer ring is way cool. did they fill weld the out side of the barrel lap joint ?

steve

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 9:21 pm

KingCoal wrote:WOW, that pot with integral transfer ring is way cool. did they fill weld the out side of the barrel lap joint ?

steve
No, that needs to be done, good eyes :D

They were supposed to make the barrel 36 inches not 30, so I may have Skip do one for me.

That "ring" was the way it was originally manufactured.

The fire pot was melted along with the base heat valve. The idiots who owned it defore me ran wood in it at what must have been very high temps.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Scott ... That pot looks pnenomonal !! They did a great job in fabricating all those parts. Keep that momentum going.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”