Glenwood No. 6. Base Heater, Recall

Learn the ins and outs of designs that date back to the turn of the last century. Whether you are looking to restore an antique stove or have questions about modern reproductions you'll find the answers to your questions here.
wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 11:31 am

It seems like most everyone is aware of Gleenwood base heater lower end problems, here is a fix for It. The base pans weight is 16 lbs , it is hanging on 4 corners with a 10 or 12 24 screw to the ash pit floor. the ash pit floor weight is 15 lbs. It is in turn bolted in 4 corners to the ash pit(part with bottom door with 2 air intakes). So now you have 4 bolts 1 in each corner holding up the bottom pan and the ash pit floor (part with square cleen out door) If or I feel I should say when any one of those corners crack It becomes stress on the others. Ok here is the fix,ash pit can be fixed in the house(if wife is shoping for the day.bottom pan can get a bandaid the same day.I am now going to post pic as im about to assamble a #6 b.h. in my keeping room. ( to cold in shop and wife is out for the day)ps hope I can pull of the pics. wilson
Attachments
Picture 039.jpg
Picture 040.jpg
Picture 046.jpg

wilsons woodstoves

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 11:40 am

Sorry skiped the bottom pan band aid
Attachments
Picturerad 052.jpg
Picturerad 077.jpg
Picturerad 078.jpg
Picturerad 079.jpg

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Thank you for greatly adding to my understanding of the construction of these stoves!

Since I already own one, and am planning to pickup two more at the end of the month, I'm paying careful attention.

Great work - Chris

dhansen
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No.6 and No.116

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Looking good Wilson. Wish I had a little more of my base pan pieces to work with.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 6:43 pm

dhansen wrote:Looking good Wilson. Wish I had a little more of my base pan pieces to work with.
Emery posted a little while back that he is working with someone to make replacement pans. You should call him.

Very nice patch job Wilson. You could have some interest in that.

wilsons woodstoves

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanls william, I am the welder working with Emery on fabricating the bottom pan.See pic of new bottom pan below.I plan posting pics of a complete #6 assembly soon.
Wilson
Attachments
Picture 038.jpg
Picture 041.jpg
Picture 042.jpg
Picture 044.jpg

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner 1- Crawford #40 BB
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 8:51 pm

VERY NICE and accurate work.

those will no doubt save a number of otherwise complete and usable stoves from an ugly end.
" all of learning is the understanding of relationships" George Washington Carver

"the true measure of a man is the way he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" Samuel Johnson

"if it was any simpler, it wouldn't work " unknown engineer

vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8
Stove/Furnace Model: Crawford Tropic 112

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Those pans will never crack! :D Great fabrication work! I think they will be flying off the shelves when you start production.
CMDR Chad R. Cheras
Post Commander
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 3439

dhansen

Post Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:51 pm

That new bottom pan would solve half my problem Wilson. Still need to get a replacement for the upper half. I'm afraid mine is too far gone.

wilsons woodstoves

Post Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Dennis I just found some peices (in the snow) of that ash pit floor I will post a repair on one I am working on, and plan on assembling soon. There may be some chunks there that will work for you ,I have quite a pit.
wilson

dhansen

Post Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 8:00 am

Keep me posted Wilson. Last night the power went out as I was reading your post. 6 hours with no electricity. No problem here with the Glenwood but the 8 houses I look after all have oil heat. No electricity = no heat. Just got back from checking them all. No damage!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”