Antique Coal Stove Radiators

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 7:06 am

dcrane wrote:I agree with VFW totally... everyone on the (eastern half of USA at least) should be using an anthracite heater of some kind!!! people are simply unaware of it :cry: it ran (and could run) this half of the country with ease as it did for 100's of years! Its like Genghis Khan's hidden treasure right under our feet and the US Gov is throwing a big carpet over it :mad3:
That is a double edged sword. I think there are some advantages to keeping quiet about it. If you aren't sure what I mean, put a big sign on your front lawn that says "I burn coal in my house" and see what happens. Within a week one of your neighbors will probably start complaining about a mysterious cough, smell, polluted ground water, etc.

The other issue is supply. Sure, there is a lot of coal in the ground, but there is a limited number of people mining and processing it. Spike demand and you will see the price follow.

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 7:55 am

Rob R. wrote:
dcrane wrote:I agree with VFW totally... everyone on the (eastern half of USA at least) should be using an anthracite heater of some kind!!! people are simply unaware of it :cry: it ran (and could run) this half of the country with ease as it did for 100's of years! Its like Genghis Khan's hidden treasure right under our feet and the US Gov is throwing a big carpet over it :mad3:
That is a double edged sword. I think there are some advantages to keeping quiet about it. If you aren't sure what I mean, put a big sign on your front lawn that says "I burn coal in my house" and see what happens. Within a week one of your neighbors will probably start complaining about a mysterious cough, smell, polluted ground water, etc.

The other issue is supply. Sure, there is a lot of coal in the ground, but there is a limited number of people mining and processing it. Spike demand and you will see the price follow.
I rather agree. Too much publicity could be a bad thing. I'm afraid the vast majority of the American public would not be in favor of a mass resurgence in coal heating.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 8:07 am

:shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :devil:

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 8:47 am

VFW - I'm really curious what antique stove lit and catalogs you've been able to score. I've managed to pickup a few myself.

It would be great if you could share what you have, and I'll do the same. This stuff is hard to find, and getting expensive.

Chris

vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal

Post by vfw3439 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 9:11 am

Rob R. wrote:

There are several abandoned anthracite mines and breakers in NE Pennsylvania. 20 years ago there were over 100 independent anthracite mines in PA and today there are less than 10. The coal is there (hundreds of years worth) and many miners are out of work so some demand could also put some people back to work and reopen some mines. My point is the Federal Government needs to stop the war on coal and let the small mines operate and stop forcing them out of business. With the largest coal reserves in the world it could solve several energy cost issues in our great country. I know coal isn't perfect but it's a lot better than $6 a gallon for oil/gas that some are predicting in the next few years.

vfw3439
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

Post by vfw3439 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 9:14 am

chrisbuick wrote:VFW - I'm really curious what antique stove lit and catalogs you've been able to score. I've managed to pickup a few myself.

It would be great if you could share what you have, and I'll do the same. This stuff is hard to find, and getting expensive.

Chris
I will work on a list and post it. If you search some of my older posts I uploaded a bunch of stove catalogs in pdf format a while ago.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 9:45 am

My point is the Federal Government needs to stop the war on coal and let the small mines operate and stop forcing them out of business.
I couldn't agree more. They need to get their nose out of a LOT of things.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 10:20 am

vfw3439 wrote:

There are several abandoned anthracite mines and breakers in NE Pennsylvania. 20 years ago there were over 100 independent anthracite mines in PA and today there are less than 10. The coal is there (hundreds of years worth) and many miners are out of work so some demand could also put some people back to work and reopen some mines. My point is the Federal Government needs to stop the war on coal and let the small mines operate and stop forcing them out of business. With the largest coal reserves in the world it could solve several energy cost issues in our great country. I know coal isn't perfect but it's a lot better than $6 a gallon for oil/gas that some are predicting in the next few years.
We have hundreds of years of coal reserves, but that includes all grades of coal. According to a 2009 study by Marston, we only have 38 years of anthracite reserves in the US. See: http://www.marston.com/portals/0/coaltrans_antra_ ... d_2009.pdf

dj

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 10:32 am

A simple, yet effective design.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 1:00 pm

As of 2009 the Pennsylvania Anthracite Counsel estimates there are 4 to 6 Billion tons of anthracite remaining in the NEPA region with 300 to 500 years of Anthracite reserves still remain in the ground today. Please see attached. I find less than 40 years of anthracite remaining a little off from 300-500 years. In my humble opinion I would think the Pennsylvania Anthracite Counsel folks are in the middle of the anthracite region and have hands on knowledge.

Attachments

DEP Document-16114.pdf
.PDF | 375.4KB | DEP Document-16114.pdf

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Those coal stove radiators are very interesting. Thanks for posting about them.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Cool pieces. Anyone notice the prices? $4.25-$6.50. Ah the good ol days. Keep the old stuff coming. Matt

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 4:15 pm

vfw3439 wrote:As of 2009 the Pennsylvania Anthracite Counsel estimates there are 4 to 6 Billion tons of anthracite remaining in the NEPA region with 300 to 500 years of Anthracite reserves still remain in the ground today. Please see attached. I find less than 40 years of anthracite remaining a little off from 300-500 years. In my humble opinion I would think the Pennsylvania Anthracite Counsel folks are in the middle of the anthracite region and have hands on knowledge.
Well there's a diverging point of view.

300 to 500 years is a very long time, and honestly, I don't believe that number for a minute. The World Coal Institute claims world wide coal reserves, including all grades of coal, to be 160 years - and that's world wide reserves of all grades of coal. That number seems reasonable. The paper you posted does not talk about how they came up with the 300 to 500 years number while the one I posted it is laid out, you can do your own calculations from the data given. While I agree that the PAC is in the middle of the anthracite region, they also are not an unbiased source. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject so I can't do more than just read what others publish....

dj

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Maybe they came up with 300-500 years because they saw how many base heaters are getting restored and put back into service ? :roll:

Or, are some of the ones saying we'll run out sooner, the same experts that, back in 1977, said we'd run out of oil in 25 years ? :D

I think "guess-timates" is a better description of what many experts do when predicting our "energy reserves".

Paul

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Sun. Feb. 09, 2014 12:54 pm

dlj wrote:
vfw3439 wrote:As of 2009 the Pennsylvania Anthracite Counsel estimates there are 4 to 6 Billion tons of anthracite remaining in the NEPA region with 300 to 500 years of Anthracite reserves still remain in the ground today. Please see attached. I find less than 40 years of anthracite remaining a little off from 300-500 years. In my humble opinion I would think the Pennsylvania Anthracite Counsel folks are in the middle of the anthracite region and have hands on knowledge.
Well there's a diverging point of view.

300 to 500 years is a very long time, and honestly, I don't believe that number for a minute. The World Coal Institute claims world wide coal reserves, including all grades of coal, to be 160 years - and that's world wide reserves of all grades of coal. That number seems reasonable. The paper you posted does not talk about how they came up with the 300 to 500 years number while the one I posted it is laid out, you can do your own calculations from the data given. While I agree that the PAC is in the middle of the anthracite region, they also are not an unbiased source. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject so I can't do more than just read what others publish....

dj
I will make you a deal DJ. If we run out of Anthracite in 38 years I will buy you 5 cases of Yuengling Lager and if we don't run out you buy me 5 cases. :D

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”