Antique Coal Stove Radiators

vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal

Post by vfw3439 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 5:32 pm

I found the attached literature while doing some never ending research on antique coal stoves. It is amazing how engineers from the late 1890's designed these Coal Stove Radiators to get every ounce of heat out of a coal stove. I love how they heated other rooms and upstairs on the exhaust from a coal stove. Please let me know your thoughts.

V/R
Chad

Attachments

Floyd, Wells and Co.pdf
.PDF | 11.9MB | Floyd, Wells and Co.pdf

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Amazing!!! Like the book says....there is nothing new under the sun.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 6:50 pm

That is really cool it goes to show you that after all the years and technology that we have today some of the best stuff was created years ago with the kiss program and common sense the worth thing about it is that it has been forgotten and almost lost :(

vfw3439
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

Post by vfw3439 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 7:21 pm

memco man wrote:That is really cool it goes to show you that after all the years and technology that we have today some of the best stuff was created years ago with the kiss program and common sense the worth thing about it is that it has been forgotten and almost lost :(
I think we "NEPA Crossroads" are keeping the history alive. I often wonder where we went wrong.
My neighbor has spent over $900 a month to keep their house at <64* heating with oil. He is going tomorrow to pickup a used Chubby stove. I lent him my Crawford Tropic 112 for the last 2 weeks and he was sold on heating with coal. He really wants a Glenwood but all his money went this winter to heat with oil.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 7:43 pm

VFW

That was very nice of you to loan them a stove. You knew they would be "hooked" on coal after that. :D They will like the Chubby too!

We have a neighbor spending about the same on oil every month as well. I have tried to get them to make the switch to coal from oil. For right around $1000 they could get a used stove, coal and a chimney. Their payback would be about 6 weeks and the house would be warmer. PLUS they would have some extra cash as well. I really don't understand why people are putting themselves in the poor house paying for oil, or "propain" when a very viable option is readily available in coal and the effort to use coal for heat is minimal in my eyes. Even paying Taxachusetts prices you can still save some serious money.

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Switching to coal would be a change and most folks are reluctant to change even if it would save considerable money. I remember when my father removed our coal furnace and installed an oil furnace. My mother was concerned the house wouldn't be warm enought in the winter so the coal furnace went in to storage in the corner of the basement just in case it was needed. If I remember correctly heating oil was 12 cents a gal. then. I still made extra money delivering coal for a dollar a ton delivery charge. Over the years I've heated my different homes with everything, wood , propane, oil, wood pellets, corn, natural gas and both bit and hard coal. I have a gas furnace in my current home and really like my $35 a month gas bill. Gas heats our water. My coal stove is here to stay as long as I'm able to take care of it. I love it when people ask how much my heat is going to cost this winter and I tell them as cold as it's been, I spend between 3 and 4 dollars a day for heat. And the house is warm, sometimes a little too warm.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 9:20 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:VFW

That was very nice of you to loan them a stove. You knew they would be "hooked" on coal after that. :D They will like the Chubby too!

We have a neighbor spending about the same on oil every month as well. I have tried to get them to make the switch to coal from oil. For right around $1000 they could get a used stove, coal and a chimney. Their payback would be about 6 weeks and the house would be warmer. PLUS they would have some extra cash as well. I really don't understand why people are putting themselves in the poor house paying for oil, or "propain" when a very viable option is readily available in coal and the effort to use coal for heat is minimal in my eyes. Even paying Taxachusetts prices you can still save some serious money.
This season in particular (even with MA prices), I'll be about $2k in savings for this one season.

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 9:41 pm

I have been running the Chappee since Dec. 24-7 and I have been listening to people complaining about the cost of fuel ( I have not burned a drop of fuel oil for four years now don't even know what the current price is.) I was a wood burner before I finally got smart and started to burn coal I guess that I can give the memco credit for that because I would throw a load of wood into it and 2-1/2 hrs. later would be filling it up again I had a couple bag of coal laying around so I threw them in just to see what would happen and that was the begging of the best thing that has happened to me in along time the next best thing was the Chappee
It is really funny though when people ask you what you heat with and you say coal and when you try to talk to them about it they don't want talk about it they just want to complain about how much they spent on fuel and how cold their house is and they are all wrapped up in blankets and sweaters
I had to teach my wife how to run the Franco belge and chappee this week because I had my knee scoped and the first thing the she said when she saw the Chappee in action was this is really cool I also had my daughters boyfriend come over as well he has been burning wood all winter with no back up and the first thing he said to me was I will not be running wood next year this is the way to go especially when he found out that I was getting 12+ hrs. per load

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Wonder how well these actually worked hooked up to a stove like a Glenwood 6 in recirculating mode.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 10:36 pm

PJT wrote:Wonder how well these actually worked hooked up to a stove like a Glenwood 6 in recirculating mode.
Unless the draft was very strong I think it would lower the temperature and draft too much.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 10:59 pm

PJT wrote:Wonder how well these actually worked hooked up to a stove like a Glenwood 6 in recirculating mode.
From what I have read they were designed for Non-Base Burner stoves. I am thinking they were designed to take advantage of all that heat that would have gone up the chimney with a standard coal stove. I would do anything to see an original set of the radiators in action. I am on a mission to grab up and digest all the antique stove literature that I can find. I have a pretty good collection so far but it is my new obsession.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 11:09 pm

vfw3439 wrote: From what I have read they were designed for Non-Base Burner stoves. I am thinking they were designed to take advantage of all that heat that would have gone up the chimney with a standard coal stove. I would do anything to see an original set of the radiators in action. I am on a mission to grab up and digest all the antique stove literature that I can find. I have a pretty good collection so far but it is my new obsession.
That makes sense but I thought they mentioned it could be used on a recirculating stove too?? Maybe I misread it. I too would think it would kill the draft too much.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 11:10 pm

I am on a mission to turn as many people as I can over to "the dark side".
I have another friend who is a pilot and lives in Cape Cod. His house is heated by electric and pays $1600 a month to heat. I told him he is tapped in the head. We served together in the Army and is a retired Major so I told him he is a typical idiot officer :D I don't know how hard working people can afford the heating costs.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 11:21 pm

dcrane wrote:

This season in particular (even with MA prices), I'll be about $2k in savings for this one season.
I agree. Less than 2 months and it would pay for itself.
I don't want to start a political discussion but this war on coal has got to stop. People are landing in the poor house and they are loosing everything. This country is heading to hell in a hand basket with this Administration. When will people realize that energy costs drive the cost of almost everything in this country. And for God's sake let the independent anthracite coal miners in Pennsylvania do their jobs stop trying put them out of business.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 6:35 am

I agree with VFW totally... everyone on the (eastern half of USA at least) should be using an anthracite heater of some kind!!! people are simply unaware of it :cry: it ran (and could run) this half of the country with ease as it did for 100's of years! Its like Genghis Khan's hidden treasure right under our feet and the US Gov is throwing a big carpet over it :mad3:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”