My New Crawford!

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:15 pm

For the past few years I have been running a 50/50 mix of stove and nut. Next season I will order straight stove coal. The nut coal was for the much smaller Our Glenwood No 9.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:24 pm

franco b wrote: You also have to consider the fire pot size and depth. The Crawfords have a deep fire pot so stove might work better than nut because it will breath easier.
I wouldn't have thought that roughly twice the depth would make that much difference, but I guess it does.

With my range at 6 inch firebox depth, with my experiments using just pieces that are in the stove coal size-range, the stove acts like a race horse. Much quicker to respond to heat increase demand for cooking and baking. I now know why Glenwood recommends stove coal in it.

But, even in indirect mode, I have to close the primary air to a sliver, and the MPD to almost fully closed just to get the mano down to .04. And, it also eats up coal much faster than it does with just using the nut size. I doubt I could get it to last through the night the 10-11 hours that it can on just nut coal.

Very interesting the differences in how purpose-built stoves act, what they are designed to run on, and how well they do it.
Makes me wonder if they understood more about coal stoves then as now ?

Paul

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:25 pm

wsherrick wrote:For the past few years I have been running a 50/50 mix of stove and nut. Next season I will order straight stove coal. The nut coal was for the much smaller Our Glenwood No 9.
William,
Have you tried running your stove of straight stove size yet. If so, how did it compare to your 50/50 mix ?

Paul

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
wsherrick wrote:For the past few years I have been running a 50/50 mix of stove and nut. Next season I will order straight stove coal. The nut coal was for the much smaller Our Glenwood No 9.
William,
Have you tried running your stove of straight stove size yet. If so, how did it compare to your 50/50 mix ?

Paul
I've run the Glenwood 6 on stove coal and it loves it. I haven't used it the Crawford 40 yet as this is my first year with it. It will do very well on stove coal.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
franco b wrote: You also have to consider the fire pot size and depth. The Crawfords have a deep fire pot so stove might work better than nut because it will breath easier.
I wouldn't have thought that roughly twice the depth would make that much difference, but I guess it does.

With my range at 6 inch firebox depth, with my experiments using just pieces that are in the stove coal size-range, the stove acts like a race horse. Much quicker to respond to heat increase demand for cooking and baking. I now know why Glenwood recommends stove coal in it.

But, even in indirect mode, I have to close the primary air to a sliver, and the MPD to almost fully closed just to get the mano down to .04. And, it also eats up coal much faster than it does with just using the nut size. I doubt I could get it to last through the night the 10-11 hours that it can on just nut coal.

Very interesting the differences in how purpose-built stoves act, what they are designed to run on, and how well they do it.
Makes me wonder if they understood more about coal stoves then as now ?

Paul
It should be patently obvious that they knew far more about effective, use specific, fuel specific, stove design then than now. To see that all you have to do is look at them.

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 4:04 pm

That's correct Franco B. My firepot is really deep and you have to look it as chestnut for direct draft works like Stove coal in indirect draft stoves. When you shut the flap and put the stove into base heater mode; you change the path of the air and it has to travel almost 12' until it escapes out the exhaust and it actually slows the draft down. Doesn't kill it, but does slow down the air. So the larger the coal, the more air it allows through. With Chestnut, it slows it down too much. I don't even like the hybrid stove coal with a few big pieces and some bigger nut coal. I want them all the size of my fist. I still get the long burn times but I get the higher heat output!

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 4:13 pm

If you cannot get overnight burn times with stove coal then I'd check airleaks as even my Herald Oak No. 18 direct draft stove ran at 550-600 for 12-13 hours. I used 2 MPD's as I had a really strong draft. Now that I heat with the Crawford 40 I only use 1 MPD. William, you will see a night and day difference when heating with stove coal in the Crawford 40. This is such a big stove that the depth of the firepot can limit your heat output with smaller coal, even nut coal, straight stove coal will do wonders and really allow the temps to climb in that stove. you can control temps with your air intakes.

Craw4
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116, Splendid Oak 27 & 29, Glenwood Oak 20,40 and 2- Glenwood Oak 30's
Coal Size/Type: Stove and Nut

Post by Craw4 » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 4:23 pm

I can tell from the last 3 years experience that stove coal is the way to go in my Crawford #4, and it is because of the dia./depth ratio of the fire pot, also, the gap between the fingers behind the little door and the top of the grate is large enough that when I tried nut it would fall through that gap into the ash pan, so I believe they intended stove coal or larger for this stove.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 4:35 pm

I would agree to all this talk of stove coal, however, Mrs. Crawford gave me nothing but fits today as I tried to open her up.

I know why too, I loaded her up with KIMMELS stove coal!

It ran crappy in the MKII last year as well (nut).

It must be crap If the Harman can't burn it :rofl:

Kimmels = Junk..... :blowup:

I tried everything my limited coalie brain would allow, but she hung at 400ish all day.

Now she's loaded with Santa Claus nut and is back up and running nice.

I did not want to drive 1:20 each way to Monson Ma. to get Blaschak stove, so I caved Sunday and bought 9 bags of Kimmels locally, which I will now return 8.

I guess the first thing I am going to do tomorrow after coffee (if the roads are ok) is drive to Monson.

Live and learn.

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Gekko wrote: I know why too, I loaded her up with KIMMELS stove coal!

It ran crappy in the MKII last year as well (nut).

It must be crap If the Harman can't burn it :rofl:

Kimmels = Junk..... :blowup:

Live and learn.
These results seriously baffle me. As a first year coal burner I've been trying both Blaschak and Kimmels in my stove. My experience so far is that My Glenwood 116 cannot tell the difference between Kimmel or Blaschak nor can I. Is it possible that a baseburner stove could perform well on one brand but not the other while my backburner shows no preference?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 5:27 pm

I don't know, all I know is things changed when I switched brands.

Looks good now.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 121.9KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 107.7KB | image.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Scott, don't be frustrated, and draw conclusions over a one nite dilemma. There are so many variables that will affect performance, it'll blow you away. I've tried 3 different brands (Including Kimmels and Blaschac) in my stove over the past 3 seasons, and thought the same way you did. But as time went by, I learned it's not always true. Yesterday morning I awoke to a weak coal bed, and thought it was the Blaschac I just switched back to. This morning, exact same settings, and coal, and the stove was still cranking out 400*. Go figure. Don't get your bowels in an up-roar so soon. Give it some more time. :D

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 7:10 pm

a change in out side temp ,dampness wind ,etc can change performance in the stove. no?

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Absolutely.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 9:01 pm

BPatrick the double MPD sounds interesting.....how/where were they placed and how did you usually set them?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”