Finally Got My Hub Heater 115 Installed

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 11:51 am

As William suggested check that bypass damper in the ash pit to make sure it is closed. It sure sounds like weak draft through the coal bed to me and that damper would do it if open. Use a flashlight and look in the ash pit to make sure it is closed.

Do as Freddy said and install the baro properly or get rid of it.

Do put a thermometer on the smoke pipe about a foot or so up.

I assume you are filling the fire pot and that it is lined.

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 12:20 pm

I've run both ways with the 'check' or bypass damper open and closed. If you close the bypass damper, you also need to control the intake air more or close the MPD more. The net effect is getting the right amount of draft and heat.

There are several controls that can all have the same effect on these stoves. Just need to find the combination that works for you.

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Sat. Jan. 18, 2014 9:07 am

Success - Thanks for all the great advice everyone - that's what makes this such a fantastic resource for us coal nuts!

I removed the baro yesterday, and fired the stove around 5PM. As soon as the charcoal ignited, I could tell it was going to be a good night. I fed in the nugget and had everything set exactly as you guys advised. The bed took off almost immediately. When fully ignited I went into indirect mode, with the check damper closed, MPD partly open, bottom draft partially opened and the secondary closed. I haven't used the check damper yet, as the draft controls are responding perfectly. I have cut my coal use by one third over night, based on what the grand Godin would have used in 10 hours. I plan to buy and mount two thermometers asap.

My wife and I are thrilled!!!

Emery redid the fire pot with a new refractory liner. The Hub Heater doesn't have a cast fire pot, but the base is very heavy cast, which Brandon said makes these fantastic stoves. They didn't re-do the cylinder, as the original was in fine shape.

I think this stove is going to be the answer to our prayers - fantastic engineering and efficiency.

The City Glenwood 12 went out again last night - glad it's pretty mild today - I'll light it this evening. Not sure why it burned too quickly after I added coal before going to bed. I may have forgotten to recheck the settings in my excitement about the Hub Heater! It's proving to be a bit of a pain, especially since it's direct draft. Now we're anxious to replace it with the Crawford No. 3 which Emery has started. I have no idea how long it's going to take him, but he's going to have the dome plated, which I believe was an option.

From coal stove heaven - Thanks to All - Chris

Attachments

Hub Heater3.JPG

My Hub Heater No. 115 As Found - April 2013

.JPG | 113KB | Hub Heater3.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 18, 2014 9:13 am

Congrats Chris. Glad to hear your getting it figured out !!!!!! :D

Now that your in the ball park, you can tinker with it, see what difference minor adjustments make, learn it's true potential, and without all that annoying noise of chattering teeth. :D

Paul

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Jan. 18, 2014 9:52 am

See, I told you so.
Now remember, when you get the Crawford install it without a barometric damper.

You will find with the Crawford as well as the Hub that your coal consumption will drop 1/3 to 1/2 what you were using with your previous stoves.

spadafarm
Other Heating: radiant floor

Post by spadafarm » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 2:38 pm

I need help! I am looking at a Hub Heater 219 for my brewery. City codes require I give them more info on it. Can you tell me how to get specifics on this stove? Do you know who made them? I think maybe Glenwood but not sure. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Or if you can put it out to a larger group that would be great too. Thanks!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 3:45 pm

spadafarm wrote:
Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 2:38 pm
I need help! I am looking at a Hub Heater 219 for my brewery. City codes require I give them more info on it. Can you tell me how to get specifics on this stove? Do you know who made them? I think maybe Glenwood but not sure. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Or if you can put it out to a larger group that would be great too. Thanks!
Welcome, Spadafarm.
It's not a Glenwood.

Try using the search box in the upper right to search for "hub Heater". They've been mentioned a number of times in past threads.

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Hub was made by Smith&Anthony.

A member here has one for sale, should have more info.

https://www.lapansantiquestoves.com/

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”