Saw a Moore's 403B for Sale Today...NO I Ain't Tellin'

User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 1:47 pm

If you want to make a road trip, I know of one in Missouri that you can probably get for $1,000 or maybe a little less. It it is near perfect condition.

KingCoal
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Location: Elkhart county, IN.

Post Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 2:25 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Back to the original post, where is the 403B :?:

Is the 403 in good condition, if not is it salvageable?

Are you buying the stove, others on this board may be interested. The cast iron filigree is more delicate than the steel body of a modern stove so for this reason and many others, fewer 403's have survived than Glenwoods for example.
i'm sorry to report that the 403B that I was looking at has since been sold and not to me, I hesitated and it went with the first money to show up.

Sunny Boy
Member
Posts: 12946
Joined: Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:40 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace
Location: Central NY

Post Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Sounded like it wasn't quite what you wanted size-wise anyway. If so, it's gone because a better one is waiting for ya.

Paul

User avatar
lsayre
Member
Posts: 12569
Joined: Wed. Nov. 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75
Location: N/E Ohio, between Medina and Wadsworth

Post Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 2:36 pm

KingCoal wrote:i'm sorry to report that the 403B that I was looking at has since been sold and not to me, I hesitated and it went with the first money to show up.
Now you can consider a Keystoker HFH-90 again! You wife thinks they are cute. :)


KingCoal
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Location: Elkhart county, IN.

Post Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Sounded like it wasn't quite what you wanted size-wise anyway. If so, it's gone because a better one is waiting for ya.

Paul
i may never know, that was a portion of my hesitation. coalpuppy is using a 403B under coal fire to keep his 2500 s.f. house livable for approx. 12 hrs.

i would have been trying to use one to keep 1200 s.f. heated and half that is the upstairs that we are fine with not getting any direct heat. ( bohemian love birds ya know ), so it looks like I may have made a bad stumble.

William please PM me what ever facts, figures and expectations you may be aware of concerning the 403B in MO. that is not too far for me.

User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 6:27 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:Sounded like it wasn't quite what you wanted size-wise anyway. If so, it's gone because a better one is waiting for ya.

Paul
i may never know, that was a portion of my hesitation. coalpuppy is using a 403B under coal fire to keep his 2500 s.f. house livable for approx. 12 hrs.

i would have been trying to use one to keep 1200 s.f. heated and half that is the upstairs that we are fine with not getting any direct heat. ( bohemian love birds ya know ), so it looks like I may have made a bad stumble.

William please PM me what ever facts, figures and expectations you may be aware of concerning the 403B in MO. that is not too far for me.
I've made inquires for you. I'll let you know if and when I hear back. A good stove to good home is a worthy goal.

KingCoal
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Location: Elkhart county, IN.

Post Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 10:57 am

BTW coalpuppy, when you say you burn the stove over night on coal do you have any idea what temp. it is creating at the radiant surface ?

KingCoal
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Location: Elkhart county, IN.

Post Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 3:24 pm



User avatar
coalpuppy
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu. Oct. 11, 2012 11:32 am

Post Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 4:23 pm

I purchased the Brilliant Acorn totally disassembled. It belonged to the grandfather of a lawyer in Pittsburgh. He could never figure out how to reassemble it. Curious thing here is that the grandfather had owned an appliance store in one of the outlying towns and had the stove in his shop window on display. He had the entire stove, save the fire components, nickeled!!! I had to remove the plating from more than a few pieces to get this back original. After I get the fire back rebuilt, I will do the finial and post pictures. Probably another year the way things are going.

User avatar
coalpuppy
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu. Oct. 11, 2012 11:32 am

Post Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey guys, without actually putting a surface thermometer on the dome, I can't really say what the surface radiant temp is. That stove gets pretty warm because the outer casing can burn you if your not careful.

User avatar
skip
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 2:19 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Sterling Base Heater All-Fuel K-6
Coal Size/Type: Hard Coal, Nut
Other Heating: Wood stove, Pro-Pain
Stove/Furnace Make: Sill Stoveworks
Location: Kansas

Post Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 8:18 pm

You could always change your finial to one with a gauge......
image.jpg
image.jpg

Post Reply

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”