Restoring My Wehrle 112 Acme Sunburst Baseburner

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 10:26 am

looks like the prices range from $28 thru $33 at the bottom of the page... :shock:

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 10:33 am

titleist1 wrote:looks like the prices range from $28 thru $33 at the bottom of the page... :shock:
Thank you "Mr Brand of Golf Balls I Play"!! I didnt' see the prices when I looked... DOH!!! :P

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 10:35 am

The price of that stove was less than a dozen balls cost now!!!

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 10:42 am

That stove cost less in its day that a dozen decent golf balls do today.. That is a head shaker......

EarlH
Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 261, Columbian Joy A2
Coal Size/Type: Favorite-16" firepot; Columbian Joy-12"

Post by EarlH » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Here's a few more pictures from that catalog. It's all the base burners except the one that was the cheapest in price.
Here's some of the price information for the models shown as it's a little hard to make out.
100 (With Lion Heads) 14" firepot $31.98 weighs 425 pounds crated
16" firepot $35.21 500 pounds crated
18" firepot $38-48 570 pounds crated
"Prosperity" with dragon finial 14 1/4" firepot $33.98 425 pounds crated
16 1/2" firepot $37.71 500 pounds crated
18 3/4" firepot $ 40.98 570 pounds crated
"Simplicity" with urn finial 14 1/4" firepot $32.98 425 pounds crated
16 1/2" firepot $36.21 500 pounds crated
18 3/4" firepot $ 39.48 570 pounds crated
"Sunburst" 13" firepot $28.25 405 pounds crated
15" firepot $30.28 455 pounds crated
17" firepot $33.70 540 pounds crated
Acme Corona 13" firepot $24.25 390 pounds crated
15" firepot $28.26 440 pounds crated
17" firepot $31.20 500 pounds crated
So, it's kind of an interesting insight on the Wherle stove people's line of offerings in 1912-1913. I do have a decent copy of the owners manual for your stove, if you want it send me a private message with your address and I'll be glad to send it to you. I copied it from an original a few years ago and it's a general operating manual and price list for parts for all the Wherle stoves. It actually shows an "exploded" view of your stove to name all the parts so you will know what each part is named et. For instance the 16" fire pot for the Acme Sunburst was $2.90 and a set of mica was $1.50. Looks like you are gaining on your project, that's the main thing. Those boys sure did nice work years ago, even on the lower cost stoves. The fit and finish on that stuff really is remarkable for the money that changed hands, that's for sure.

Attachments

DSCF1230.JPG

Wherle 100, the desirable one with the lion heads on the corners.

.JPG | 128KB | DSCF1230.JPG
DSCF1232.JPG

This page is kind of nice because it shows how you can set the thing up in your front room!

.JPG | 260KB | DSCF1232.JPG
DSCF1231.JPG

Prosperity & Simplicity models

.JPG | 176.6KB | DSCF1231.JPG
DSCF1235.JPG

Acme Sunburst & Acme Corona

.JPG | 189.3KB | DSCF1235.JPG

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 9:08 pm

PM sent. That is an incredible amount of information, and I really appreciate the offer. Thank you very much, Jerry

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Earl, I received the book today...what a gift!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much! Jerry

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 4:16 pm

That's really neat. I would like to find a Glenwood Catalog like that.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 5:57 pm

wsherrick wrote:That's really neat. I would like to find a Glenwood Catalog like that.
William, you might want to contact Bea at Bryant's Stoves in Maine. When I was there last April, I did a tour of their facility and out in the museum section I saw a wooden box that said Glenwood on it. I asked her what that was and she told me it was full of advertising materials that salesmen for Glenwood use to carry. I don't know if she still has any of that literature or if she would be willing to part with any of it. I guess it would not hurt to ask if you really wanted some of that material.

Randy

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Heres a place someone posted on our Victorian forums on Facebook. they have a lot of similar stoves.

http://www.antiquestovesite.com/

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Well, I've been making slow progress on the old stove while the plater is working on the shiny stuff, and I heard through the grapevine that he has the legs done and they're really pretty, but I'm not going to bug the man, I'm going to wait for him to call me when it's time. When I took the parts up to him and showed him some of the repairs I had done to them, he asked me if I had a repair shop or something and my brother said, "Yeah, he's got a repair shop, alright." He said "Maybe you could help me out then." Out from behind his computer he took an inner window frame for an old car. He showed me where a worker had ground a large, quarter-sized hole through the metal by accident and they couldn't fix it. He had been looking for quite a while and couldn't find a replacement for it anywhere. It was for a '34 Ford 5-window coupe, and he was desperate. I said I thought I could help him, so I took it home and worked on it. It was so delicate I found out why it got damaged. If a power sander was used, the metal was so thin it would heat up, bulge upward and a hole was made. I ended up welding it with a small piece of black chimney pipe for a patch, then a thin layer of bronze over that and the area around it, then hand-filed and sanded it until it was smooth enough to take chrome. I spent 3 days off and on in my spare time messing with it to get it that way. When I handed it back to him you'd have thought I gave him the best gift ever. He asked if I was in a big hurry to get the parts back for the stove and I told him there wasn't a rush, I wanted them done right. He said if I didn't mind he'd like to do them himself on weekends for me on his own time. I thought it was great that the owner of the company would do that for me. As I was leaving, he said "You saved my ass on that window frame...I'm going to take $300 off the price of the plating I quoted you." That's why I'm not going to bug him at all until he calls me again.

I've been slowly cleaning the rest of the parts in my bead blaster and making a few minor repairs along the way, so I thought I'd show some of the progress. Here's a piece of the base before cleaning and after:

Attachments

Stoveparts a.jpg
.JPG | 130.1KB | Stoveparts a.jpg
Stoveparts b.jpg
.JPG | 130.9KB | Stoveparts b.jpg
Stoveparts c.jpg
.JPG | 131.8KB | Stoveparts c.jpg

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Here's a few of the parts I've been able to get cleaned so far:

Attachments

Stoveparts d.jpg
.JPG | 129.7KB | Stoveparts d.jpg
Stoveparts f.jpg
.JPG | 132.4KB | Stoveparts f.jpg
Stoveparts h.jpg

Any question about what kind to use?

.JPG | 131.6KB | Stoveparts h.jpg
Stoveparts i.jpg

I love the artistry in the castings! This is the chimney adapter elbow and the rear base trim piece.

.JPG | 130.2KB | Stoveparts i.jpg
Stoveparts g.jpg

I bought a case of the Williams Stove Black in small tubes, so I had to try it out on one of the doors. I like it. It's going to be a pretty color and just the right amount of gloss when it's polished.

.JPG | 130.5KB | Stoveparts g.jpg

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 9:00 pm

The door in the last picture had a crack around the latch mounting hole and I was able to weld it without getting any other cracks in the door as it cooled. I was worried about that because it's really a delicate part. The repair won't be visible when the latch is installed and the mica frame is installed in the back. I've gained a great amount of respect for those craftsmen 100 years ago...the castings are thin, elegant and so artistic! This is so much fun! Jerry

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 11:38 pm

She is going to be one fine looking stove when your all done. Keep up the good work and stay warm.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jan. 30, 2014 7:43 am

That Catalog from Earl is SUPER RARE! wow... what a find!!! GG Earl... id have fun just reading that whole thing if you ever whip out some copies id gladly pay the copy/ship charges

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”