Photos of Heated Secondary Air Combustion in Glenwood.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I think it would be very interesting to see how well these 100+ year old stoves do on an exhaust emissions analyzer compared to todays stove technology.

I suspect they'd do surprisingly well. We think of old technology as being so far off from today, but they are often not as far off as is generally assumed.

I haven't tested any to the newer standards, but a few antique cars from the late 1920's and early 30's that I did have tested, would pass the NYS emissions test for the standards in place in the early 1980's, when many cars for the 1960's would fail the test.

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:I think it would be very interesting to see how well these 100+ year old stoves do on an exhaust emissions analyzer compared to todays stove technology.

I suspect they'd do surprisingly well. We think of old technology as being so far off from today, but they are often not as far off as is generally assumed.

I haven't tested any to the newer standards, but a few antique cars from the late 1920's and early 30's that I did have tested, would pass the NYS emissions test for the standards in place in the early 1980's, when many cars for the 1960's would fail the test.

Paul
I would agree Paul, when I had the Fisher stove hooked up in the garage, the chimney almost always had smoke coming out of it. Now with the cook stove out there, the only time I see smoke is when I first start up the fire or re-load.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I can't even see any smoke when I reload, . . . but then the back chimney is close to forty feet high.

If I go outside, I can smell it 40-50 yards down wind for about the first 10-15 minutes after a reload. But, never any smoke visible.

Paul

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 2:54 pm

I bet I could have added this to my Hub heater. I just put a new refracatory liner in it and could have imbedded some tubes in the cement to vent heated air up. Wish I would have seen this a couple months ago!

Not breaking it out now, but something to think of for the future!

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 4:28 pm

William this is a great picture that reinforces how efficient these stoves are. I really am looking forward to seeing your Crawford 40 video. Any thoughts on when you'll do it.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:I can't even see any smoke when I reload, . . . but then the back chimney is close to forty feet high.

If I go outside, I can smell it 40-50 yards down wind for about the first 10-15 minutes after a reload. But, never any smoke visible.

Paul
Sorry Paul, was talking about when burning wood...even then the old cook stove beat out the Fisher

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 9:22 pm

wsherrick wrote:The big difference between just having air over the fire or having pre-heated fire over the air is that secondary air does more than just burn off hydrocarbons. As the fuel burns the carbon can be burned to carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide. Fuel burned to carbon dioxide is combusted in a much more complete manner than if just burned to Carbon Monoxide.
The heated secondary air provides the oxygen necessary to convert the CO to CO2. For this to happen the secondary air must be provided at as close to the combustion temperature of the gasses as possible. If just air is provided it is too cool to allow this and in fact impedes combustion by simply cooling off the combustion area. The gasses are then lost up the chimney, unused.
Im sure glad I didn't have to explain that :clap: but another point is... ability to keep the firebed/overfirebed/around firebed area hot is DIRECTLY related to "how low can you go" (which is why on a baseburner such as yours william... you NEVER have to burn wood in the spring or fall ;) , you NEVER need worry about a reduction pot... I bet you could maintain a LOWWWWW ass burn for about as long as you wish with a stove like that)

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 9:40 pm

I can run it indefinitely at 250.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 9:53 pm

William....... I also think it is time for another video. We here would really appreciate it. Lights, camera , baseburner action :!:

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 9:56 pm

wsherrick wrote:I can run it indefinitely at 250.
William, love the lamp in your avatar. Is it Aladin with the mantle?
Randy

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 10:38 pm

I used to have an old oil lamp with a flame spreader that would produce tiny little vertical circular eddy currents once it got warmed up...mesmerizing to watch..... :)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 5:58 am

Photog200 wrote:
wsherrick wrote:I can run it indefinitely at 250.
William, love the lamp in your avatar. Is it Aladin with the mantle?
Randy
William gots all kinda kool shyt :up:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 1:02 pm

dcrane wrote:
Photog200 wrote: William, love the lamp in your avatar. Is it Aladin with the mantle?
Randy
William gots all kinda kool shyt :up:
Yes, this is one of several Aladdin Mantle Lamps that I have. The reason this picture is significant is that it was taken during Hurricane Sandy when the power had been out for several days. My house had light, heat, hot water and hot food while everyone else around me was in the cold, dark or fighting the huge lines at whatever gas station to hope for a few gallons to keep their generators running.
A house that can function without electricity is a virtue in my mind. We went a week without it and suffered no ill effects. We read books, played board games, listened to the Victrola and managed to get some things done because there was no media to absorb one's time or attention.
Glad you liked the picture.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 4:48 pm

William,
I just bought several oil lamps when I was at Lehman's and I was looking at the Aladin's. They are beautiful but I spent over $600.00 that day so I figured I should wait until I get the addition done. When I do, two of these are going to take center stage in that room. I agree with you about a house running without electricity and am pursuing that here. My house is total electric, but I am making good strides. Have a cook stove now and with the coal stove in living room. I can heat more than enough water and have lights. I do have a generator for refrigeration but I have been doing a lot of canning and less freezing. Canning potatoes as we speak. Next on the list is a hand water pump because I have a well and if I loose power, no water without the generator.
Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 5:20 pm

I love the look of old oil lamps too.

I've been collecting late 19th century oil lamps for many years. Mostly because they remind me of times living aboard old wooden sail boats before shore power hookups were common.

Each has an electric conversion kit in it now and I use them throughout the house. The kits are made to look exactly like the original burners, but with a switch built-in and they install quickly without damaging the original parts.

Each lamp can be converted back by just unscrewing the electric fake burner and screw the original wick burner back in. Then, just add oil. Takes a couple of minutes per lamp to change them over.

The only exception is the large "store/saloon lamp" over the kitchen range. That one, I had to make the kit for.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”