Chappee Boiler

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 10:47 pm

There are no firebricks. The cast iron is filled with water.....that is what makes it so good. Fill it right up, coal likes to be deep and these things are very deep. I am not sure of the length of time my friend went but it was a significant amount of time. This depends on the amount of calls for heat in the your application of course. He had a large old house up on the coast of Maine so it called a lot. Parts can be tricky, they are not sold in the US anymore and I am not sure they are made in France either. There was a guy that was in here that my friend got in touch with but he was shady as far as he was concerned. More interested in selling any info and parts making top dollar in the process. If he is the only guy with any parts, lucky guy. But he was not happy that my friend had a manual as he wanted to sell him one. The aquastat that controls the lower door was something he tried to sell. It is called a Calorastat on the Chappee. You can get them at any plumbing supply place instead of paying to much for an "original".

Kevin

vtperrys

Post by vtperrys » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 8:16 am

Hey memco man...Thanks for your reply. I also will be firing mine up this weekend for 1st time...I am finishing installation this week. I have been burning coal for 25yrs in hot air furnace and antique parlor stoves. Wood is for people that don't know coal exsists. I have wood available for free..but the thought of putting up 8-10 cords a year does not excite me @ 62!! From experience...you should expect to get 24 hrs. out of a burn...easily. If you left it unattended I would bet it would burn for 2-3 days. I'm not sure about filling it up to the door...I'm going to experiment with mine before I try anything like that. Just got my son set up with coal...he is in love!! Where in Vt are you?? If you want to talk you can reach me @ 802-442-3071 Good burning!! Bob

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Hey there vtperrys I live in Groton I have not burned coal for very long the way I got started was with my memco and I won't go into what I think of memco :mad: but will say if you can burn coal in it you can burn coal in anything I had burn wood since I was 14 I am 56 now once I got a taste of burning coal I never wanted to go back, last year I burnt wood because I refused to use the memco I have a tarms 504 but don't have it hooked up yet which I hope that will happen in the next couple of years in the mean time I literally stumble on to the chappee I was talking to a lady at work about how I wanted a coal stove but could not find a good used one, and that people wanted an arm and a leg for if you did find one, she said that she had one that she wanted to get rid of and that she would send me a picture of so that weekend she sent me a picture of the chappee my wife and I almost fell over when we saw it was a dream come true I talked to Whistlenut about it and Freddy by the way he makes the best coffee around, and the next week end I had it home and the next weekend down in the basement.
Where abouts are you and where do you get your coal? it is kinda slim pickings around here but can be found
I will give you a call Have a good day
Bill

memco man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove

Post by memco man » Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Just a quick update on the boiler installation I have it all piped in all's I have left is to wire it up I am also changing the circulators and putting them on the return side of the boiler I also had a circulator on the feed side of the memco that I am taking out all together,( which I was using this a dump as well and it was flooding the whole house) I think that this set up will work a lot better I am also putting check valves onto the feed manifold to keep me from getting any back flow into the other zones I will post some pictures this weekend hopefully there will be a fire in it with the blue lady's dance in it .
I hope that everybody has a good week
memco

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Dec. 17, 2013 5:24 am

VTPerrys, if I remember correctly there is a grate at the door on your Chappee. Fill it to the top of that grate and let her roll. That's how my Father in law runs his. Keeps the oil man at bay.

vtperrys

Post by vtperrys » Tue. Dec. 17, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks Cabinover. A message to memco man. I think you need to change your name to Chappeman based on your dislike for memco. I like mine. Finishing it up today. I get my coal in 2 places. One is here in Bennington and a guy in Cambridge NY who sells it in bulk cheaper. Both good suppliers. Good burning and let them drink their oil!!!!

memco man

Post by memco man » Tue. Dec. 17, 2013 10:52 pm

I think that you are right vtperry about changing my name to powder hound because I like skiing so much and can not get enough powder under my skies just not sure how to change my user name without messing everything up or having rejoin the forum as a new member so I guess that I am stuck with memco man
Is it still alright to give you a call? I have a few questions

vtperrys

Post by vtperrys » Wed. Dec. 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Call Anytime...If you know or anyone else.....I need 2 shaker grates for my Chappee...any ideas??

KLook

Post by KLook » Thu. Dec. 19, 2013 8:38 am

Take a good one and have a cast made. Those things may become impossible to find. It would be good to keep an original spare around to make and sell replacements. I still do not think they are making the stoves anymore. In France that is.

Kevin

vtperrys

Post by vtperrys » Thu. Dec. 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Kevin...thanks for the feedback. Any Idea where to get it forged?? The ones I have are perfect. Bob

KLook

Post by KLook » Thu. Dec. 19, 2013 9:00 pm

I do not, but there are plenty of people on the forum that have that info. The Stove Hospital and a couple other quality rebuild places for antique stoves have the resources to have old parts recast. The Bryant Stove Works in Thorndike, Me is another place that know where to have things cast. Start another thread to attract the attention of the correct people. You will have your answer. 8-)

Kevin

memco man

Post by memco man » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Good evening vtperry there is a guy down south called the grate guy I have his link here some where I will try to find it and send it in a pm, also I think that there is a foundry in ma. somewhere when I was toying around with the memco I had to change the greats over to coal greats to make a long story short they sent them out and had them made some where close because it only took a couple of weeks things are going pretty good here I worked on mime until 11:00 last night and almost have it all done that includes adding two more zones onto the system I should have it going by tomorrow or Sunday at the latest
Take care
Bill

memco man

Post by memco man » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 9:33 pm

vtperrys I tried ti make a link here and could not make it happen if you look up grate guy in the forums address book you will find him he dose respond but it takes a while I will try to give you a call in the next coupe of days

Bill

memco man

Post by memco man » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Hey KLook how are you I was wondering if you had a change to talk to your friend about that plate on the back of the boiler I think that it is a clean out but not sure :!:

KLook

Post by KLook » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Sorry, somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I had replied to you. :? He actually went up to Vermont and bought a Chappee to put in his new house in the Waldoborl area. What a hoot. He indicated that the plate was for a coil. He has never seen a coil for one however. If you remove it the use will be self explanatory I would think. I know I typed this all up once before! Anyhow, he circulated water through his oil boiler to keep it from firing, to increase the amount of hot water available on call, and to store some heat as he found that coal was so blasted hot he had to temper it somehow. The coil in the oil boiler went to an electric water heater.
The Calorastat is a great device however. Make sure your doors fit really tight, controlling the air is important. I think he had a baro set up for his oil boiler but none for his Chappee, I am sure there is a setting it is supposed to be at. Maybe in one of the manuals?

Kevin

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”