Chappee Boiler

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Well we did it my son and daughters boy friend got my chappee c26 down into the basement and set into place it went pretty smooth all n all I built an arch and hooked a sheave to it then ran a cable to the boiler hooked it to my tractor and lowered it down into the basement it worked pretty slick wheeled it over to its new home and set it in place, all that is left is to clean out all the creosote out of it and hook it up

Attachments

IMG_0592.JPG

boiler set in place

.JPG | 156.5KB | IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG

boiler set in place

.JPG | 156.6KB | IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG

creosote build up from last owner

.JPG | 230.5KB | IMG_0594.JPG

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Are you planning on burning coal in this? My buddy has the exact same one but uses wood. He gets it for free but you wouldn't believe the problems he has with creosote. I tried to sell him on coal but he won't hear it. More for me I guess. Keep us posted!

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Run some coal through it and the creosote will go away in time. My old partners was a creosote nightmare with wood. Got him into coal 4 years ago and he never looked back.

kevin

memco man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove

Post by memco man » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 9:57 pm

That the plan coal, coal and more coal the only time that there will be wood in it is when I start the coal I was planning on brushing it out it is pretty plugged there is creosote all over the side walls as well as the top I am sure that it will burn off. I am worried that the exhaust might be plugged off or partly and not draw properly or even worse put carbon monoxide in to the house

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Geez, too late now, but would of been nice to have burned out a bunch of that creosote outdoors before moving boiler indoors.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 7:12 am

I remember cleaning out the Chappee I sold to my father in law. Looked just like yours. I don't envy you today. :|

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 7:25 am

I saw one of these at an old clients house in Pembroke of Furnace Colony... his name was Larry. anyways... the stink this thing infiltrated through his house was unbearable :sick: (ive never seen coal produce the kind of gut wrenching smells I witnessed here) :cry: IDK if it was a drafting issue or simply the fact he stacked and burned wood by the warehouse full? had to have taken $20k of his homes value though!

KLook

Post by KLook » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 8:25 am

No Dcrane, they are an excellent sectional boiler that really gets the heat out of the exhaust gas. The gases have to come up the front where a little secondary air can be added and then go the whole length of the boiler surrounded by water to get out. With wood, and a house that is undersized, this means creosote. That guy had a draft issue. It also sounds like he was one of the people that think 1) if you smolder a fire it never gets hot enough to start a chimney fire and 2) you get all the heat out of each stick by burning slow with no draft. I have met these lunatics. As I said, my business partner added sections to make his take a 24 inch stick. This is a lot of wood, and coal! I think he could put well over 100 lbs. in it. They are built for coal originally unlike most boilers that we use for wood in the US. They are(were) made in France. Once he gets this running and learns to burn, it will be as nice as you can buy for a handfed boiler.
My old partner sold his house in Cutler, Me this summer so I am sure the Chappee stayed with it. The guy from Alaska that owns it will learn to appreciate it or tear it out not knowing what he has. I will have to ask if my friend is going to burn coal in his new house in the Waldoboro area. Stoker maybe? 8-)

Kevin

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 8:29 am

After one week of burning anthracite in it that creosote will practically fall off. When it is visually dry and flaking off, shut it down for a thorough brushing.

KLook

Post by KLook » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 8:31 am

Ditto, Rob.

Kevin

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:48 am

Rob R. wrote:After one week of burning anthracite in it that creosote will practically fall off. When it is visually dry and flaking off, shut it down for a thorough brushing.
Sure wish I'd have known that little tidbit, would have saved me a day's labor and bruised knuckles. :lol:

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 10:04 am

I know this will all work out nicely, and yes, I burned coal in a couple New Yorkers to get them cleaned out for friends. They actually stayed with coal, and now don't miss that creosote 'special aroma'. Don't kill yourself trying to clean that burn chamber, pipe it up, check for leaks, and lite it up. The Chapee has clean out doors that allow you to effortlessly open at any time, so get that puppy up and running, and the creosote will flake and fall off in a few days. Trying to burn it off outdoors sounds great, but you can't fire an empty boiler without doing damage to the cast iron.......so relax, and get piping. I'll give you a call in a couple hours. Please tell me that Memco has a chain hanging around it's throat, suspended mid-air from an oak tree. Amazing that after anyone saw/used a 'Frank's Boiler' that they survived.

memco man

Post by memco man » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for all the tips I hope to have it hooked up by the middle of the week or the weekend It good to here that the creosote is not as big a problem as I thought it was, after today I am ready to get the chappee up an running.
And yes the memco is hanging from a tree I would of shot it with my 45 to put it out of its misery, but it is not worth the round :lol: I will post some more pictures when I get it running

vtperrys

Post by vtperrys » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi...I just saw the recent post regarding a member in Vermont who installed a Chappee boiler. I am also in Vermont and just put one in and had a couple of questions. Is it supposed to be firebrick lined?? or just castiron?? I also need to replace a lost or burned out grate. Any idea on parts like this for my boiler?? My email is [email protected]. Thanks in advance for anyones help!! Bob

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi vtperry as far parts go I am not sure where you would find them Whistlenut nut was saying that there are parts to be found you might want give him a shout and see what he can do for you I was lucky all in all mine is in really shape I will be firing mine up this weekend If thing all go good
Have you used yours chappee much and are you burning coal in it if so how long of a burn do you get out of it before you have to stoke it again? do you fill it all the way to the door?
Sorry about all the Questions the answer to your is no there is not any fire bricks that go in it or at lease there is nothing in the parts book I thought that there might be some cast iron plates that might go in there but there nothing listed either in away it makes since because if you look at the grates they go all the way across the fire box if you put anything in there it would probable interfere with the grates
If you are looking for a manual I found one on this forum I went into hand fired stoves and typed in chappee boilers if you can not find it send me a PM. and I will send you a copy
Hope that this helps
memco man

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”