Chappee Boiler

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:08 am

Thank you Kevin for the reply it was a big help I think that I will leave it alone I have a couple more things to do on my existing system and I will be ready to fire it up then I am sure that will bring up a lot more questions I am hoping to have it running today or tomorrow I will keep you posted once again thank you for your input it has been a big help
One more thing on the over the top air should I run that open a little or should I keep it closed I am not sure what it dose :? other then it might cut the draft down from the chimney and put more air into the fire box,

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 4:52 pm

My friend had it just barely sipping in any air. Like all coal stoves, over fire air is there to burn off early volatiles I suppose it could be used to reduce draft through the coal bed, it will pull it in from the easiest source. When burning wood, it could be tuned to just roar with all the volatiles coming off wood.

Kevin

BWood

Post by BWood » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm entering my second year 5th ton of Blaschak nut, through a Chappee. Just put a new Caloristat lower damper door control Samson 5D on it tonight. It's a hell of a stove, no issues very efficient. Another trick is ACS- Anti Creosote, soak down your kindling with it. I also use baking soda to summerize the cast iron and reduce acidity reaction during summer humidity.
Hit me with any questions
Woody

memco man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove

Post by memco man » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Thank for the information I had a bit of a set back today with my Chappee I got everything hooked up and bled out and stated to pressurized it and notice that it was leaking at the feed line right between flange and the boiler. ( when I was hooking it up I was skeptical of it , it just did not look right ) but I was afraid to touch it because of the rust will sure enough I broke one of the bolts off luckily it did not break off flush so I got something to work with worst case I will have to drill and tap it out I just don't want to drill into the water jacket
Thank you Wood If I have any more questions I will give you a holler and Kevin thank you for your help again,I was talking to an old timer yesterday where I get my coal about the over the fire door and he also said the same thing that you said about it was more for wood burning then coal.

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Dec. 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Well I got the broken studs out of the boiler I ended up drilling and tapping out the holes I have also cleaned up the front of the boiler It is starting to look better and better all the time
Here is some pictures of my progress it also shows that zones that I have added, all I have left on the boiler is to make a new gasket for the flange and get some shorter bolts the wiring is almost done so hopefully it should be on line in the next couple of days

Attachments

IMG_0604.JPG
.JPG | 115.7KB | IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
.JPG | 121.2KB | IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
.JPG | 125.3KB | IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
.JPG | 125.5KB | IMG_0612.JPG

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 7:38 am

Great looking fix, I am positive you will be happy with how this boiler performs. Looking forward to you comments once you fire it up.

Kevin

vtperrys

Post by vtperrys » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey memco man...great pictures..I had a similar problem. My manifolds leaked..I just put new gaskets on it top & bottom..fired it up Christmas day..what a gift. works great! Plenty of hot water..house hasn't been this warm in years. I have same issues though. I need 2 grates for I..a model c-26. Anyone know of a stove parts graveyard??

memco man

Post by memco man » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi vtperry congratulation on getting your boiler going I am still working on mine I had a hard time finding a gasket for mine finely settle for a rubber gasket I had to make it I hope that that it holds up I have it all wired in and half the stove pipe put on all that is left is to put the barometric damper in the pipe I have about 20 lbs. of press. on and no leaks so far so if nothing else comes up it should be running tomorrow :D I will keep looking for you did you try to get ahold of the Great guy he might be able to help you out I will try to call the place I got the greats made for the memco and see if I cant find out where he got them made
Talk to you later
Bill

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 11:40 pm

I knew you had to be getting close to firing, Bill. Repairs went well...and she will be popping the nut coal in a day or so. Cold week coming up, so get her fired and you can relax. :D :!:

memco man

Post by memco man » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 10:41 pm

I finally got her done and fired up temp. is starting to come up now and everything is looking good the last thing to worry about is the Samson draft control hopefully it still work if not I will pull the one off the tram's it will be nice to wake up to a warm house for a change I have one leak that showed its nasty little face after things started to warm up and it is in a union at the bottom of the boiler I will have to keep an eye on it so far it is not very bad if it stay like it is I think that I live with it until spring
The other thing that need to get done is put a manometer on it and set the barometric draft I will say that I have only ran it for about an hour and it has already out preformed that stinken memco :mad: the biggest peace of ########*********!!!!!!!!!!! I ever saw or used

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 12:34 am

Hooray...you da man!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 12:45 am

Helluva Good Thread,Thank You,Gentlemen ! Folks will get a lot out of this one. :clap:

memco man

Post by memco man » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Just a quick update the chappee is chugging along at about 170 and 180f I had to really work with the draft control some where down the line someone backed it all the way off and it was closing the draft off at 120 so I finally got it dialed in and she has been holding steady I can not believe what a nice boiler this is
The other problem that I had was I kept building up to much pressure in my system and at first I thought that my water make was malfunctioning so I shut It off all together and it still was doing it I finally figured out that my DWH had craped out and was back feeding back into the boiler once I got that shut down it was smooth sailing
My next venture is to build a coal stove and put it in the place of my pellet stove I will post some pictures when I start it.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 8:37 am

Danged old rotten water coil... :x
Don't forget to turn the make-up water back on. :)

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 8:45 am

Now that the Chappee is fired, you can understand why I was soooooooooo ugly about all the good press those old Memco's got! You can ask to have your screen name changed if you want to, or keep it so folks will know you survived the 'Battle of Memco', and lived to burn again. Looks like you better keep dialing it in, VERY COLD weather is headed right for exit 17, I-91.........

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”