William, Are You Planning a Video of Your Crawford 40?

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 4:32 pm

Well guys, November 11th I will have my Crawford No. 40 delivered from the stove hospital, I had Emery add silver high temp paint to the raised work on the stove and lettering. My Herald Oak No. 18 has it and it sets off the look with all the nickel. I'm looking forward to burning it. He already ran it for 12 hours so no stinky paint smell or break in period. I will be taking pictures of the install and heart pad ect. We found a chimney in great shape in the middle of the house that was taken down below the roof line when they re-roofed the house. They dropped some bricks down it so I'm having the bricks cleared out and used to rebuild the chimney again. It might require some extras but I want to do it right. On one side of the house was our fire place that was walled off, and on the other side is where our stove will be. I will still use a flex liner for better air control and be able to use the fireplace again in our bedroom. I see the sign in picture for NortCan and its a beautiful looking fireplace insert. I'd love to put something like that in our bedroom. Anyway, I'm really excited to get this one here and burning. I'm waiting for Emery's friend George to finish the other Crawford No. 40 and I will put that in the living room in place of the Herald No. 18 that Emery and George restored for me last fall. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet as my wife has told me I have stove fever and I'm collecting them like purses. I told her that with my dad staying with us and bringing 2 Crawford 40's back into the house (these were the stoves he had growing up) my stove collection is complete. I think it is pretty cool to have the same two old stoves in the house. We live in Michigan and these are rare in these parts.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 10:02 am

wsherrick wrote:I bought this stove from Jimmy Belvin. He was nice enough to bring it up to me.
Nice, Jimmy does some nice work and is a good guy too. He makes the eastern trips once or twice a year and buys up all the stoves he can find for refurb.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 10:03 am

BPatrick wrote:Well guys, November 11th I will have my Crawford No. 40 delivered from the stove hospital, I had Emery add silver high temp paint to the raised work on the stove and lettering. My Herald Oak No. 18 has it and it sets off the look with all the nickel. I'm looking forward to burning it. He already ran it for 12 hours so no stinky paint smell or break in period. I will be taking pictures of the install and heart pad ect. We found a chimney in great shape in the middle of the house that was taken down below the roof line when they re-roofed the house. They dropped some bricks down it so I'm having the bricks cleared out and used to rebuild the chimney again. It might require some extras but I want to do it right. On one side of the house was our fire place that was walled off, and on the other side is where our stove will be. I will still use a flex liner for better air control and be able to use the fireplace again in our bedroom. I see the sign in picture for NortCan and its a beautiful looking fireplace insert. I'd love to put something like that in our bedroom. Anyway, I'm really excited to get this one here and burning. I'm waiting for Emery's friend George to finish the other Crawford No. 40 and I will put that in the living room in place of the Herald No. 18 that Emery and George restored for me last fall. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet as my wife has told me I have stove fever and I'm collecting them like purses. I told her that with my dad staying with us and bringing 2 Crawford 40's back into the house (these were the stoves he had growing up) my stove collection is complete. I think it is pretty cool to have the same two old stoves in the house. We live in Michigan and these are rare in these parts.
Excellent and congratulations on achieving your goal. What size is the firepot in those Crawford 40's?

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 5:08 pm

The fire pot is a cylinder and not tapered Almost 12 " in diameter and 12" deep in the front and 16" deep in the back. Emery

I talked to Emery and he said it has a suspended fire pot and will take a lot of coal. He's run this a few times to burn off the paint smell and he said that this stove cruises with long burn times and puts out a lot of heat. I'm leaving for Florida on business for a week and then on the 11th it's being installed. I will know a lot more about it as soon as I can start burning it.

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 9:34 am

I visited Emery with my Crawford No. 3 last Saturday.

I had a good opportunity to get a close look at your stove operating in the showroom (they were testing it before delivery).

What a beauty !!!

I can't wait to get mine back from them. They're finishing my Hub Heater, and plan to start my Crawford soon (I hope).

Hope you enjoy it - Chris

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 1:02 am

That's great to hear. They didnt have the silver highlight work done yet. I am excited to use it and looking forward to getting to know the differences of the baseburner.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”