Antique Parlor Coal Stove Museum

Learn the ins and outs of designs that date back to the turn of the last century. Whether you are looking to restore an antique stove or have questions about modern reproductions you'll find the answers to your questions here.
fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon. Aug. 03, 2009 10:11 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.
Coal Size/Type: Egg,stove,nut,pea,buck,and rice -Gale Mining Co Anthracite
Location: southern anthracite field,Schuylkill County,Pa.

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 9:48 am

I did see that post some time ago and wondered if palletized coal could go that way.I have a store near me,do you know if Walter could get a stove to one near him?


User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 12:21 pm

fifthg wrote:I did see that post some time ago and wondered if palletized coal could go that way.I have a store near me,do you know if Walter could get a stove to one near him?
well, the original owner of this collection I don't believe burned any of these stoves (he was purely a collector of some of the most rare stoves on earth), the stoves were meticulously rebuilt in a fasion that goes WAY beyond a restoration at most stove shops (If you notice... the nickel, the parts, the finials, are better than original), Nickel plating parts that were not nickeled and even nickle plating individual names on parts while leaving the remainder of the part polished iron), Paperwork documents with many of the units that include manuals and brochures just never seen (like the example above that William was Hootin & Hollerin about :up: ), Original Tilework, Jewels, finials that just are not only in tack but restored by experts in the field (not mearly stove experts... but antique tile experts, antique artwork experts, etc.) Most of These are truelly Museum quality pieces that in many cases are one of a kind.

Im sure Walter can ship these anyplace he wants (obviously it cost "something" to have them crated/protected).

User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 4:26 pm

franco b wrote:
wsherrick wrote:I think one could argue that in many aspects, they did live during the apex of our Civilization.
Can't argue with our resident Victorian. Those damn Sepoys were a bit of a pother though.
Yes, the Sepoys and Button Hooks. :)

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Radiant Home

starting to get to some good ones now :up: don't peek at backgrounds of this baseburner museum... savor each one as they come like a fine wine!
Note: Im going to show some grates and add on pieces... the rarity of this stuff in such perfect condition really tells how glorious these works of art are!
Attachments
006.JPG
005.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
016.JPG

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Radiant home Photo Card Instructions on manual thread
Attachments
Radiant Home Photo Ad.jpg

User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 11:04 pm

One of the amazing things about a lot of these stoves is that they are the top of the line models with all the options. The piggy back ovens, for example; they are very uncommon to find now, but; here there are several stoves that have them.
One of my absolute favorites is the Red Cross Signal you have shown here. I think those are one of the most beautiful and tasteful stoves made during the mica era 1880-1900.

If I needed a large base burner for a big space, it would be the Germer Radiant Home. The, "K" series of Radiant Homes were perhaps the best of the best of these. These are absolute masterpieces of design and function. Of course they came with more than enough glitz to satisfy anyone's desire for it.

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Mon. Oct. 07, 2013 11:13 pm

wsherrick wrote:One of the amazing things about a lot of these stoves is that they are the top of the line models with all the options. The piggy back ovens, for example; they are very uncommon to find now, but; here there are several stoves that have them.
One of my absolute favorites is the Red Cross Signal you have shown here. I think those are one of the most beautiful and tasteful stoves made during the mica era 1880-1900.
Some of stuff I see this Walter guy showing me is mindblowing :notworthy: when I found this place the first thing I said was OMFG... we need to start achieving this stuff because its like pulling up live dinosaurs out of thin air :lol:
I think all the mods need to pitch together $10k each so we can just buy the whole damb museum :clap: or ask Dave & Matt in their success to go buy it and set it up in PA where we can at least go visit it!

User avatar
michaelanthony
Member
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 10:42 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: Coal Contractor's stove, a little Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace
Location: millinocket,me.
Contact:

Post Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 8:01 am

....hey doug, remember the time we hitch hiked down the cape and we were picked up by a van full of chicks that were going to the Hooters Girl Convention in Falmouth and they made us help them with their hair and nails :lol: ...GET OUTA THERE BEFORE YOU EXPLODE!! SENSORY OVERLOAD, RUN WILL ROBINSON...RUN!
never yell through a screen...you'll strain your voice.


User avatar
auntievintage
Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 10:07 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 116
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut
Other Heating: Oil forced luke-warm air
Location: Etna, ME

Post Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Wow! Thank you for sharing! Another priceless addition to this forum.

Loki
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 7:54 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalter & Co. Opera 24 (1880)
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Rice
Location: Emerald Coast

Post Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 5:29 pm

dcrane wrote:
wsherrick wrote:One of the amazing things about a lot of these stoves is that they are the top of the line models with all the options. The piggy back ovens, for example; they are very uncommon to find now, but; here there are several stoves that have them.
One of my absolute favorites is the Red Cross Signal you have shown here. I think those are one of the most beautiful and tasteful stoves made during the mica era 1880-1900.
Some of stuff I see this Walter guy showing me is mindblowing :notworthy: when I found this place the first thing I said was OMFG... we need to start achieving this stuff because its like pulling up live dinosaurs out of thin air :lol:
I think all the mods need to pitch together $10k each so we can just buy the whole damb museum :clap: or ask Dave & Matt in their success to go buy it and set it up in PA where we can at least go visit it!
All of them for 10k? Really? I'd go in.

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 8:19 pm

more like $10k each (well some are $4k, some as high as $12k)... well over 30 Mint state baseburners (brand new!)... my guess is $100k would be pretty fair to all parties for a wholesale estate purchase of "everything". One Tractor Trailer should hold them all... But only Walter can accept or deny an offer, Walter may be quite happy to sell them one by one for $4-$12 each over many years or decades? (im only stating what my opinion is on a whole "Lot" purchase).

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Oct. 08, 2013 8:22 pm

michaelanthony wrote:....hey doug, remember the time we hitch hiked down the cape and we were picked up by a van full of chicks that were going to the Hooters Girl Convention in Falmouth and they made us help them with their hair and nails :lol: ...GET OUTA THERE BEFORE YOU EXPLODE!! SENSORY OVERLOAD, RUN WILL ROBINSON...RUN!
I can remember some pretty sketchy trips we took to Cape Cod Coliseum to see Ted Nuggent and J Geils with plenty of van fulls of drug induced, sweaty, chicks :woot: You may be getting flashbacks of those days my friend ;)

User avatar
michaelanthony
Member
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 10:42 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: Coal Contractor's stove, a little Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace
Location: millinocket,me.
Contact:

Post Wed. Oct. 09, 2013 8:18 am

dcrane wrote:
michaelanthony wrote:....hey doug, remember the time we hitch hiked down the cape and we were picked up by a van full of chicks that were going to the Hooters Girl Convention in Falmouth and they made us help them with their hair and nails :lol: ...GET OUTA THERE BEFORE YOU EXPLODE!! SENSORY OVERLOAD, RUN WILL ROBINSON...RUN!
I can remember some pretty sketchy trips we took to Cape Cod Coliseum to see Ted Nuggent and J Geils with plenty of van fulls of drug induced, sweaty, chicks :woot: You may be getting flashbacks of those days my friend ;)
...went to a "FOG HAT" concert at the coliseum, maybe '78 ...spent a month there that week end! :shock: :)
never yell through a screen...you'll strain your voice.

User avatar
Smokeyja
Member
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 6:57 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none
Location: Richmond, VA.
Contact:

Post Wed. Oct. 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Wow just wow! So amazing ! I would like to have some of that literature ! Thanks so much for posting this stuff!
Josh http://www.stellarsmithing.com
-Glenwood #6 Base heater - Richmond Advance Range -2 Locke stove co. Warm Morning 414A -Deville express - wood parlour stove
Dance of the Blue Ladies --->http://youtu.be/KfzF47S7bFM?list=UUnshvG_vjY7CT9QKfNuB9dg
Mathew 6:33-34

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Wed. Oct. 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Smokeyja wrote:Wow just wow! So amazing ! I would like to have some of that literature ! Thanks so much for posting this stuff!
Well, Walters Literature goes with his stoves for sure (but at least he gave permission to post his photo's here (I keep waiting for more :taz: Its like xmass when he sends me stuff toothy )


Post Reply

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”