Post by Jlenc » Sat. Oct. 19, 2013 9:38 pm

image.jpg
.JPG | 108.8KB | image.jpg

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Oct. 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Well, the mystery of who made it is solved. I was guessing a mid western company and I missed that. It was made in Quakertown or Philadelphia. This is one of the many thousands of small foundries that flourished around the Turn Of The Century.
Nothing like that going on in Quakertown at the present time. I can assure you of that.
Okay, now about the actual stove. You have a double heater and from what I can see of the castings, it is a high end Oak type stove. This stove will be a great performer as you get both radiant heat and hot air at the same time.
You need to line the inside of the fire pot with a refractory lining. This will allow the fire pot to last virtually forever and it will raise combustion efficiency somewhat.
You MUST do this: Take the original grate and send it off be copied. Take the copy and use it in the stove and keep the original safely away as a master. You will not easily find a replacement grate for this stove so have the grate recast. Tomahawk Foundry is the place to have it done. They are fast and do the best quality work.
Replace all of the bolts with new ones.
Closely inspect the barrel for thin or burned out spots. Any decent sheet metal shop can roll a new barrel for the stove for a reasonable price if you need to have it done.
Get a good quality cement to reseal all of the seams. I recommend Hearthstone or Hercules. These cements are fiber based and excellent for this purpose.
Take your time and do every thing correctly. The seams must be completely free of rust, dirt and scale before you reseal them. If not the cement will not bond well.
The most expensive item will be having the nickeled parts re-done. If the original nickel is sound a good polishing will be all that is necessary.
Be careful of the bottom sheet on the stove. If you drop the stove somehow and crack the bottom plate, the stove is rendered useless.
There is plenty of help here,so;don't hesitate to ask lots of questions.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Oct. 19, 2013 10:07 pm

I just noticed from one of the pictures that the grate rests on rollers. I have seen this before. Some stoves had ball bearings that the round portion of the grate sits on. This will make shaking very smooth and easy. That's a nice, unusual feature to have.

Jlenc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 270 Stewart Oak
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Pea

Post by Jlenc » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 4:49 am

Thanks for your comments William,
I'm going to take your advice and do exactly as you have suggested. I can afford to take my time with this as I have the 270 Steward Oak that I also just purchased that was just recently restored by the SH in RI to use for this heating season. I will post pics of that one to as I am presently and feverishly working to finish its new home. Work is calling so signing off,
Good day to all,
Joseph

Suzeeg
Baseburners & Antiques: Premium oak 64

Post by Suzeeg » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 6:34 pm

wsherrick wrote:
Sat. Oct. 19, 2013 10:01 pm
Well, the mystery of who made it is solved. I was guessing a mid western company and I missed that. It was made in Quakertown or Philadelphia. This is one of the many thousands of small foundries that flourished around the Turn Of The Century.
Nothing like that going on in Quakertown at the present time. I can assure you of that.
Okay, now about the actual stove. You have a double heater and from what I can see of the castings, it is a high end Oak type stove. This stove will be a great performer as you get both radiant heat and hot air at the same time.
You need to line the inside of the fire pot with a refractory lining. This will allow the fire pot to last virtually forever and it will raise combustion efficiency somewhat.
You MUST do this: Take the original grate and send it off be copied. Take the copy and use it in the stove and keep the original safely away as a master. You will not easily find a replacement grate for this stove so have the grate recast. Tomahawk Foundry is the place to have it done. They are fast and do the best quality work.
Replace all of the bolts with new ones.
Closely inspect the barrel for thin or burned out spots. Any decent sheet metal shop can roll a new barrel for the stove for a reasonable price if you need to have it done.
Get a good quality cement to reseal all of the seams. I recommend Hearthstone or Hercules. These cements are fiber based and excellent for this purpose.
Take your time and do every thing correctly. The seams must be completely free of rust, dirt and scale before you reseal them. If not the cement will not bond well.
The most expensive item will be having the nickeled parts re-done. If the original nickel is sound a good polishing will be all that is necessary.
Be careful of the bottom sheet on the stove. If you drop the stove somehow and crack the bottom plate, the stove is rendered useless.
There is plenty of help here,so;don't hesitate to ask lots of questions.
I realize this is an older post but I came across. Premium Oak #64. I am restoring it and it seems to be in great shape. I would like to take the grate out and have a copy made but it seems stuck. Does it lift out or turn or what? Any help would be appreciated

Suzeeg
Baseburners & Antiques: Premium oak 64

Post by Suzeeg » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 6:54 pm

dcrane wrote:
Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 9:37 pm
idk man.... but that elbow and that finial are each worth big $$$!!! so make sure you grab that elbow! cant wait to see you post up some more photos for us :clap:
What price would you put on an elbow like that? I have one on my Premium Oak #64

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Susan You should be able to grab on the round grate toward the back of the stove and lift it out at an angle. Did you get it to turn from side to side or is it stuck?

As far as the cast elbow with the check damper, I find them on Ebay for between $30 and $75.

Paulie

Attachments

Screenshot_2018-01-06-19-05-31-1.png
.PNG | 2.5MB | Screenshot_2018-01-06-19-05-31-1.png

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”