Union Stove Works Invader 2 Parlour Coal Stove

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 4:03 pm

badlegdave wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what this bracket is? It came with the stove loose but may not in fact have anything to do with it.
That piece in its construction sure looks like a part of a stove but I can't figure out what part. I don't think it is for your stove.

Coalnewbie is about as smart and level headed as you can get as long as you subtract the emotions involved which is a stupid thing to say since we all are involved emotionally with what we do. So the key is what do your emotions tell you. You have it, you like the look, it's hooked up, you want to use it. So fix the leaky ash door and wait for a little cold spell and light it off with some charcoal and coal. Ash will fill in the gaps in the grate and with some practice you will get a feel with it. After a week or two you will like it and want to restore it, or want something else. That added experience will help make up your mind. It will either be a purty face wif nought behind it or what you hoped it to be.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 4:40 pm

So the stove is crippled and only stove coal will perhaps work but may not flow through the magazine and I somehow doubt if the ashing mechanism will even function right the corners will ash up fast that is for sure just look at that burn pot. Given the size of the burn chamber you will be feeding it every three hours if your lucky. That game gets old real fast and now winter will be here, the lake will freeze and you will have constant aggravations with the stove. You see the trouble with franco is he is almost level headed but his emotions lead him to give silly advice. As the Lord and prophet Mr Herrick stated, do it properly or not at all. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.

I had a dream last night, I was in a cabin on your lake it was zero degrees and the wind was blowing and the only thing preventing me from freezing to death was this stove. :woot: :woot: :woot:

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 5:29 pm

There you go making assumptions that are unwarranted. Use nut coal. The gaps are no larger than a normal Glenwood triangular shaker. Yes William is a high priest of orthodoxy, yet other sects do exist that transcend orthodoxy with faith based on what works, or not. We don't know that yet. Youngs modulus won't help in judging elasticity of mind.

The message of your dream is of course serious and has to be considered as does the mind of the dreamer. A dream weaver should be consulted. Any politician should do.

badlegdave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Baseburners & Antiques: Union Stove Works - Invader 2 Parlour Stove
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 9:49 pm

I have a line on a used coal chubby. Talked to the party on the phone and apparently it came with a house that they purchased and this stove was in the kitchen. They removed it, never used it and indicate that it is in good condition with the acception that the glass is missing, ( I understand isinglass) and it needs a gasket on the door. He has no picture of it on his advertisement. He seems to be technology challenged and has not responded to my requests for pictures via phone or email. Not a big deal. I am only one rung ahead of him on the technology ladder. My/His schedule will not allow me to take a look in person (half hour drive) for about a week. I will view and take special notice of the fire pot area. Coal chubbies are not the Union Stove Works products of the past however it is an anthracite designed stove that might fill my needs for this heating season. I looked into parts to do the glass and gasket and it seems I can get away for about $75 in repair parts if what he says is all it needs. :lol: I will see.
He listed it for $175. Now drops to $150 cash out the door. What is fair as an offer if I find it to be repairable as HE indicates. Remember I purchased Invader 2 without ever looking inside the doors to see the cooked nature of the innerds.
What sould I look for when I go to see it?
I was thinking of taking a bright flash light to put inside and close the door and then see if any light shown through the body of the stove.
What say anyone? Is Coal Chubby any good? I see they go for about $2000 new.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 10:07 pm

My gut tells me to rework this stove and I do appreciate all of the suggestions that you fine fellows (any ladies) (no, strick that) have kindly submitted. Upon my decision to rebuilt I will do it all the way to arrive at this really cool stove that would now work for the purpose designed. Budget is a problem for me presently but putting some $$$ into a piece that is about 40 years older than I am would be a nice item to enjoy myself and then pass on to my boys that love my lake house as much as I do.
Keep me in your thoughts.
CNB - I have considered your proposal and have concluded that you would prefer to stay in possession of your stove and not enter into a Invader 2 swap a dapa.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 10:27 pm

A lot of the members like the Chubby but that is usually after buying a new fire pot and grate for, I think about $200. The new grate and fire pot set up has the grate supported in the center and makes shaking down much easier. The old set up of course will work too, just not as well. Put Chubby in the search box to read about them.

My own view is to give what you have a shot. There is evidence of over firing which can be caused by careless operation or a fault in the stove. You discovered a fault in the loose fit of the door, which you are going to correct. Your stove has a magazine and a nice view of the fire. Two pluses that the Chubby does not have. To repair your stove does mean expense and hassle which if you would rather avoid then so be it.

Another possibility is a Jotul 507 which I see advertised in NJ for $250.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Is your Jotul still available?

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 10:51 pm

It's not mine but advertised in craigslist in North Jersey.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 11:32 pm

So you know the stove? Pine Brook is not too far away from me. In fact I will be in that area next week during the day.

Without listing my questions, what do you think?

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 11:57 pm

badlegdave wrote:So you know the stove? Pine Brook is not too far away from me. In fact I will be in that area next week during the day.

Without listing my questions, what do you think?
No I don't know the stove but users are high on it. Look at condition, especially the cast iron inserts that are above the brick. Make sure it has the upper cast baffle just under the top when you lift it off. Crank handle for grate. If all is good The price is right and you can get your money back if you don't like it. It was listed for $100 more previously. Bring a flashlight. ash pan is small probably needs emptying twice a day.

It looks like it has the porcelain coated smoke pipe which is nice to have and a few sections of insulated which you might sell. You can try for $200.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Oct. 04, 2013 1:37 am

franco b wrote:There you go making assumptions that are unwarranted. Use nut coal. The gaps are no larger than a normal Glenwood triangular shaker. Yes William is a high priest of orthodoxy, yet other sects do exist that transcend orthodoxy with faith based on what works, or not. We don't know that yet. Youngs modulus won't help in judging elasticity of mind.

The message of your dream is of course serious and has to be considered as does the mind of the dreamer. A dream weaver should be consulted. Any politician should do.
And this is what William says about ideas. If it is based on sound reasoning it's just as fine as it is laudable, otherwise; how would anyone find out about anything. Ideas are either proved or disproved in the crucible of Reality and you don't know if something will work unless you try it first.
A good body of understanding and study, however; will prevent needless wheel reinventing. Not to mention time and expense.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Oct. 04, 2013 9:47 am

wsherrick wrote: And this is what William says about ideas. If it is based on sound reasoning it's just as fine as it is laudable, otherwise; how would anyone find out about anything. Ideas are either proved or disproved in the crucible of Reality and you don't know if something will work unless you try it first.
A good body of understanding and study, however; will prevent needless wheel reinventing. Not to mention time and expense.
Good reasoning and well said.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 12:09 am

franco b and coalnewbie; I am going to try to attach some close ups of the fire pot which hopefully will show how badly warped it is. the bottom fingers have warped out at the bottom so far that they are now a larger circle or rather, oval of the top of the fire pot. If the fire pot is removed from the top it will not come out as the bottom of the pot is now a larger outside dimension from the top of the pot. Can either of you or anyone else tell me how the pot comes out of the stove?

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 12:22 am

Trying the pictures again.

Attachments

Pot A.JPG
.JPG | 72.8KB | Pot A.JPG

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 12:29 am

Picture B and C

Attachments

Pot B.JPG
.JPG | 72.7KB | Pot B.JPG
Pot C.JPG
.JPG | 64.3KB | Pot C.JPG
Willys 1962.JPG

1962 Willy cold and lonely.

.JPG | 96.1KB | Willys 1962.JPG

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”