.JPG | 178.1KB | Inside shot of fire pot.jpg

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 3:47 am

The only way to get that firepot out is to dismantle the four sides of the stove (I wrestled with that one too). The sides lift off once the top is removed. It's very easy to do and don't lose those square nuts. Once you have those pieces off you will be able to judge any damage (warpage) to the stove sides which to me makes it unfixable. In a good stove this dismantling is like a small erector set and is very easy. If things get really hard I would suspect warpage. Wood burners who damage anthracite only stoves should be locked up.

Preferably they need to come part anyway as eventually you may need to seal the stove before use if you want ultimate control. I will not do that as any slight air leakage (if any) would be the price for easy dismantling at the end of the burn season. Yes, you could break it down clean and scrub with soda and store away at the end of the burning season. The individual panels are easily manageable even for an old man and perhaps a spring pressure wash (sans parts with mica windows - these windows are very delicate). BINGO, good as new. I bet a man with your skills could do that in 15 minutes with practice and would equal no rust EVER. You need to think like this as you will not get another one (Lowes is fresh out of parts). Just cap off the chimney for the next heating season and leave the summer humidity and stink bugs where they belong. It's fun to do as it's made like a little Swiss watch. As I and William said before - NO SHORT CUTS. Duplicate the wear parts and it will last a lifetime as a great little house warmer that will save you a fortune in energy bills. I reminds me of my Jotul 507 and that stove really kicks ass in the heating dept. Baseburners are nice but KISS is better, I love my Hitzer for the same reason. Simple effective designs rule in my book. It works that way with women too but it took 50 years for me to work that one out, sorry, I digress.

Ask questions now as I have been offered a very enticing amount for the stove and I may sell (you know who you are). Yes, even I can part with stoves/grandchildren/anything for money. I"m really on the fence on that one as your posts have made me really look into my stove in more detail and I thank you for that. It's a really great, simple design and I don't know why more have not survived, perhaps they were too expensive to make.

LOL with whatever you decide to do.

badlegdave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Baseburners & Antiques: Union Stove Works - Invader 2 Parlour Stove
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 11:13 am

So if you sell I lose my opportunity to duplicate your fire pot. Is the party that you might sell to live locally?
I am not prepared to move on this quickly. Not sure what to do at this point.
Even if you don't sell and decide to use the stove for heat this season, that would mean a spring copy of your fire pot. I am curious of what he has offered you for the stove. That might help me in determining what value I (potentially have). Email Privately?
Is not the 62 Willys too cool?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Is not the 62 Willys too cool?
In my book the last great Jeep made.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 4:40 pm

That might help me in determining what value I (potentially have).
Let me give you an analogy from the horse world. A horse is worth the price of glue plus whatever someone is willing to pay. As you are not in a rush let's see what happens. I pay a big premium for perfect stoves and even then there are pitfalls (ask me how I know). My next stove will be from a dealer. I can't deal with this c rap anymore.

Most stoves that owners are not in a rush for remain in the corner forgotten (read hundreds of posts). You think you going to make a profit from this one - dream on. As a rule of life, project energy is a reciprocal of time from the start. You have started with a bang (stage 1) now time will bleed enthusiasm and the other things that need your attention will move to the front (Stage 2) - Ebay is stage 3. However, I wish you well and you have helped me pay attention to my stove. I have many project in stages 2 or 3 it's a failing of mine. When you get really old and crabby you realize your failings (too late of course) and try to buy things that work. Psst, anyone want a Jag XJ12??????

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 7:39 pm

badlegdave wrote:So you know the stove? Pine Brook is not too far away from me. In fact I will be in that area next week during the day.

Without listing my questions, what do you think?
....did anyone notice the vehicles in the driveway and garage, something tells me that stove wasn't hurt at all. :idea:

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 9:59 pm

I am not thinking a profit, I am old, although not as advanced as you, with health issues that make my patience thin at times. I am thinking of getting my money out of what I have and moving on to something that could warm my ageing butt this winter. What would be an attractive price to list on craigs? In the interum, load craigslist.com, north jersey, appliances, coal stove by owner. Look for a Russo listed by a party in Hunterdon. This stove has a blower in it, new glass and some new brick.
What say anyone?

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Franco,. the jotul 507 is gone and went for $250. I missed my opportunity. Any further suggestions? I am thinking of trying to move my crippled stove inlue of finding something I can use this winter before the next ambulance ride takes me to a facility other than the hospital.
I do intend to try to fire it next weekend given the right outside temperatures and see if it even approaches the viability for my application. I did make the ash door gasket.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Nothing ventured nothing gained so give it a shot.

As an alternate stove a small Warm Morning might be found cheaply, and if in good shape will do the job. There were three sizes. The 414 is the small one and holds 40 pounds and weighs about 150 pounds so easy to move. Price $100 or less. Check bricks and they have to be good as replacements are too expensive.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 11, 2013 5:00 am

Check bricks and they have to be good as replacements are too expensive.
Those WM expensive and tough to replace corner bricks are only needed for bituminous coal, local coal burns just fine with standard cheapola fire bricks. We are getting colder now and good stoves are going faster opportunities have been lost by wasting time on a stove that will not produce heat for you in time for this winter. Further exercises with crippled stoves are wasting yet more time and energy (sorry franco). My current favorite of good stuff out there is:

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

A Crane 88 I do believe but it's on LI. A battle tank of a stove and quite rare, ugly as sin but will see as all in our grave. Good stove! It has a top cooker too you could live on the lake with that one all winter with no power. Bring muscle or make sure someone will help you! I think it's half inch steel but I may be wrong. Dcrane will tell us. Luckily for you most of the world is still asleep so there are a few good opportunities out there but now not many.

As I advised you, the Invader 2 is a Swiss watch that needs to be set up perfectly and that is just the way it is. The 88 is a tank that you can hide behind is someone opens up on you with a AK47. Both excellent stoves but different. The 88 will have just about zero maintenance going forward and that is good as I expect you are tired of fiddling around.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Fri. Oct. 11, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Oct. 11, 2013 5:57 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Check bricks and they have to be good as replacements are too expensive.
Those WM expensive and tough to replace corner bricks are only needed for bituminous coal, local coal burns just fine with standard cheapola fire bricks. We are getting colder now and good stoves are going faster opportunities have been lost by wasting time on a stove that will not produce heat for you in time for this winter. Further exercises with crippled stoves are wasting yet more time and energy (sorry franco). My current favorite of good stuff out there is:

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

A Crane 88 I do believe but it's on LI. A battle tank of a stove, ugly as sin but will see as all in our grave. Good stove! It has a top cooker too you could live on the lake with that one all winter with no power. Bring muscle or make sure someone will help you! I think it's half inch steel but I may be wrong. Dcrane will tell us. Luckily for you most of the world is still asleep so there are a few good opportunities out there but now not many.

As I advised you, the Invader 2 is a Swiss watch that needs to be set up perfectly and that is just the way it is. The 88 is a tank that you can hide behind is someone opens up on you with a AK47. Both excellent stoves but different. The 88 will have just about zero maintenance going forward and that is good as I expect you are tired of fiddling around.
1/4 solid welded steel, (agreed its butt ugly :lol: ), but the firebrick looks great from what I can see, glass is in place, simple paint and door gasket and this ugly duckling will heat a large area and only take up a tiny footprint (its very similar to a warm morning but holds more coal, built for anthracite, no square corners in firebed), I have spare parts and firebrick for this stove so no worries about that on this model. (edit: if I lived within an hour of this guy I would throw him $100 for that stove in a heartbeat, newbie is right that this unit will outlive all of us 3x over with little more than paint and door gasket and for 60,000 BTU's it will pay for itself in about 2 weeks toothy )

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 11, 2013 7:20 am

Yep, cheeeep heat and that is good if you are on a budget. It's UL listed I do believe (?????) if you care about that stuff and even the door gasket looks OK to me. A little stove bright and clean the glass - BINGO, if it wasn't so far away I would pick it up too. I warn again, time is not on your side.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Fri. Oct. 11, 2013 11:14 pm

I am going to make a move on this ugly dog tomorrow regardless of the pounding that I anticipate from my wife. If this fellow will take a bengie for it I would consider it a good investment and to know going in that you have parts for this beast is reassuring. I hate to drive east into Lunggilen. I will let you know how I make out. What could it weight?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Tell your wife that you are the master of this house and she must obey you that this is a temporary set back and that you will have the Invader up and running for next year but it will be slower than anticipated and the smart money says get warm now. If we get a tough winter I'm betting you won't want to part with the 88. I just installed an ugly spud too, a Hitzer instead of a beautiful old timer that I have issues with. Staying cozy cheaply is high on my list of priorities. Once she sees it running she will tolerate it - they always do.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Sat. Oct. 12, 2013 12:28 am

It is apparent that we have at least three things in common; Insomnia, coal and relentless brow beating and second guessing. Don't you hate the phase that begins with, "don't you think that.......'. Have mercy.
Do you
think that the Lunggilend dog will take a bengie for the mutt? It is a 164 mile round trip for me.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”