Union Stove Works Invader 2 Parlour Coal Stove

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 3:31 am

OMG, now King Cecrops (otherwise known as Pierre, although that king was part human and part snake and that is not a good analogy) joins in now we have three Greek Gods of coal burning working the issue. :D :D. However, down in the sub basement of the Kings Palace worked a lowly janitor (let's call him CN) on an ACTUAL Invader stove. He used to give opinions but nobody listened to him.

Firstly.the issue of the BTU output table. The stove has over 20+ sq ft of radiating surface and so if the stove was at 200* then the output equals that of a couple of electric fires (to a good approximation)

315btu * 20 = 6000 BTU and an electric fire is about 4000 BTU on a good day

If the stove was over 600* then it would be about 3000btu * 20 = 60,000btu

.... a big difference. If this stove is working right, think nuclear reactor. One of the best foundries in the world did not produce c rap.

Now as to the other issues discussed. Look at the brightness of the coals the fire is working fine - where it is working. There is draft aplenty the issue is surface area of burn and this is how I think the story goes. The clue is in that last photo. The fire is ashing up and only a small (and central) part of the coal bed is alight. You add charcoal to start and when hot add the coal. Good move as that is now I start my new Hitzer and it's an idiot proof way to go. Once alight you shake out the high ash from the charcoal bed and away we go and there is the rub you can't really shake out the ashes properly on this crippled stove and you only have a tiny fire in the middle. I think somebody said it was a crippled stove and that is the best you can do.... Gotta go, the speaking tube is whistling, the King wants more heat and I need to shovel. Let the fight over Athens continue... HAHAHAHAHAAHA, I slay myself, I am just sooooo funny.

badlegdave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Baseburners & Antiques: Union Stove Works - Invader 2 Parlour Stove
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by badlegdave » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 9:37 am

Interesting that you select a janitor in the basement for your anecdote. Did I mention that this lowly chap's vocation is the bare face but honest lowly task that I perform for my final work career substanance? No matter. Short of the compensation not being adequate, the stress level is completely manageable after the pressure cooker of the business world that health forced me from. Alas. I understand the crippled nature of the stove and have fallen smitten with a DS Circulator #1400 with 80,000 BTU's which I viewed Friday morning. I can get it for $1700 out the door. Divorce attorneys will cost much more. Yes, I recall you suggested that I act, telling her that I am the master and would if I had the coin but 14 major and minor surgeries since 1995 have left me shall I say not pennyless but quarterless. Oh whoaaaaaaaaa is me. :cry: Shall I break down the stove now and begin the expensive rebuild project or shall I continue to try to get it to purform to a semi-suitable level carrying me to spring? Maybe my birthday next month, 62 or Christmas might provide a surprise of the DS. At 260 lbs, fat chance. Let us continue to move forward with suggestions my friends. Thanks.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 10:12 am

My name is Simon not Merlin and I can't perform miracles. If money is an issue I showed you really good stoves for under $200 but if you want a class job then DS is right up there amongst the best. This board is full of really good guys so perhaps someone has a solution to making this stove perform right now - I don't.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 10:52 am

Unlike some pessimists my job is to make it work even if it has to limp a little.

With the stove cool buy a tube of Rutland furnace cement. You can cut the nozzle to about a 1/4 to 3/8 opening. Save the cut off piece to act as a plug to keep the rest from hardening when through. Put a bead of this in the seams to seal them. The seams and not the doors. You did mention that there were gaps there. Take a small brush and wet the surfaces before caulking. If the unused doors are leaking badly you can even run a small bead around the outside.

With a lot of leaks above the fire it acts just like a check damper carrying away heat from the fire and diverting it from going through the burning coal.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 11:09 am

Sounds of janitor blowing down the speaking tube..... but my king, the stove is broken, I can't give you more heat..... If there was no draft there would no white hot coal center... :confused: Now I know why I'm the horse manure chit shoveler and Poseidon here has a mansion in CT. My job is to take stuff that is working and screw it up - I'm going to be POTUS in 2016, I should be a shoe in.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 11:29 am

coalnewbie wrote: My job is to take stuff that is working and screw it up - I'm going to be POTUS in 2016, I should be a shoe in.
Remember there will be Hillary then and she can shatter glass when she gets mad.

Be careful with that shovel, it can get very sharp scraping on the concrete.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”